get away with

Discus and support get away with in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I still think his choice of words is indicative of a certain attitude towards consumers but thanks for the opinions guys. To me, that attitude just... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sunburst Univox, Jan 5, 2014.

1. get away with

I still think his choice of words is indicative of a certain attitude towards consumers but thanks for the opinions guys. To me, that attitude just falls in line with everything they were proposing before all the backlash from E3. MAYBE I'm over thinking
    but definitely not trolling.

Sunburst Univox, Jan 6, 2014
  2. [quote user="NEWB 720"]

[quote user=""]

There are people that simply cannot afford to buy games at $60, it doesn't mean they are cheap. And why would you want prices to remain at a stable $60, as a consumer shouldn't you want competition to create lower prices? Unless you work for a game company
    I can't understand the logic behind this. Why does anything need to be done about all the physical media circulated in the used market? I don't even know where you could possibly be going with this line of thinking.

[/quote]

I know people who are cheap, these people also have more than enough to buy the games new, they look around to find used games for dirt cheap. If that option were not available they would buy new at full price.
    The ones who cannot afford it can save up their money and buy fewer games. Instead of purchasing 4 used games at $15 for $60 and none of the money going toward the publisher they can buy 1 game for the $60 with all of the money
    can go to the publisher. They will only have a few less games than they normally would.
    The physical media already in circulation is so cheap now that it makes the digital download ports almost not worth considering. When you can buy mario bros on a cartridge cheaper than you can off the marketplace then why go
    through the effort of porting it over for such little gain?
    [/quote]

I feel almost obligated to reply to this since I am quoted but I have no idea how to respond to this nonsense. I don't know how any of this benefits consumers and just reading it in that ugly green is making my head hurt.

3. [quote user="StrangerJim"]

[quote user=""]

[quote user="StrangerJim"]

Yes MS would have lost some sells but they would have gained sells from the lower price point. In the end MS decided the console market wasn’t ready for all digital yet, but I would not be surprised if we see a diskless XB1 sometime in the future

[/quote]

And look how well it worked out when Sony released their PSP as a digital only version.

[/quote]None of Sony’s hand held games have sold well disk based or not but that was not point. The TC is implying that MS was trying to screw over there consumers but I was pointing out that that they were going through the normal design cycle of determining
    where the market was heading. They were simply deciding between a lower cost all digit vs a higher cost disk system.

[/quote]

I understand your point but my point is that track record has shown that releasing digital only consoles has generally not gone well. The PSP Go was discontinued outside of the US within 18 months of it's release. This may have been 2 years ago but it seems
    to me that it will be a while before disc-less consoles will become accepted enough to even consider developing a redesigned console.

Dynamic Sausage, Jan 6, 2014
  4. StrangerJim
    StrangerJim Guest

get away with

Agree it might be awhile before we see a disk less console, the biggest hang up being consumers wanting to be able to sell trade and loan there games. MS has already stated that they have been working at a way to do all of this with digital media so if they
    can get all of the kinks out of the system I don’t see any reason they would not release a digital only XB1 especially if they could undercut Sony’s price.

StrangerJim, Jan 6, 2014
  5. HungryTurkey
    HungryTurkey Guest
    It's all to distract people from the second die in the APU. It may not be a dGPU, but there's something under the top APU...

Look at the maker mark. A12 is a revision. 41 is a line at GloFo fab 8. 40 is a separate line at GloFo fab 8. Not gonna speculate that 41 is 22 nm or anything, could be 28nm SOI. It's clearly a stacked die. Also, if you look at the power chokes on
    Xbone board versus the PS4 board, Xbox gives a much wider power envelope to the APU (5x 30-50 Watt chokes). Sony only gives 4x 30-50 watt chokes. Considering the power gates built into Xbone APU, and the allegedly fewer ALUs, you would not need a maximum
    range of 150-250 (likely 150 since you still have to power everything else and heck, a 4.2 ghx 32 nm retail APU is only 100 Watts) watts going to the APU.... unless it was an APU and a half. Maybe theres another 4 cores Jaguar cores and 6 more CUs on the
    bottom. Not sure, but it is there. Look for yourself. Why Microsoft is hiding this fact back is another mystery, but it is there. And they do not want to share it with the world yet.

HungryTurkey, Jan 6, 2014
  6. Some gamers want physical copies and others want digital copies. I wonder why we can't get both and enjoy instead of be Full DD only.

IngameInstincts, Jan 6, 2014
  7. [quote user="HungryTurkey"]

It's all to distract people from the second die in the APU. It may not be a dGPU, but there's something under the top APU...

Look at the maker mark. A12 is a revision. 41 is a line at GloFo fab 8. 40 is a separate line at GloFo fab 8. Not gonna speculate that 41 is 22 nm or anything, could be 28nm SOI. It's clearly a stacked die. Also, if you look at the power chokes on
    Xbone board versus the PS4 board, Xbox gives a much wider power envelope to the APU (5x 30-50 Watt chokes). Sony only gives 4x 30-50 watt chokes. Considering the power gates built into Xbone APU, and the allegedly fewer ALUs, you would not need a maximum
    range of 150-250 (likely 150 since you still have to power everything else and heck, a 4.2 ghx 32 nm retail APU is only 100 Watts) watts going to the APU.... unless it was an APU and a half. Maybe theres another 4 cores Jaguar cores and 6 more CUs on the
    bottom. Not sure, but it is there. Look for yourself. Why Microsoft is hiding this fact back is another mystery, but it is there. And they do not want to share it with the world yet.

[/quote]

Eh?

How is this relevant to the discussion of disc drives and their presence?

8. get away with

[quote user="Bad Instincts"]

Some gamers want physical copies and others want digital copies. I wonder why we can't get both and enjoy instead of be Full DD only.

[/quote]

This is my point exactly but unfortunately, digital costs a lot less to produce both hardware and distribute the games. Thanks to this digital is being pushed to the point where it will be mandatory. Although, for the points I've already made, I don't think
    it will happen soon and I wouldn't like it to either.

9. Kiddeth
    Kiddeth Guest
    It's a turn of phrase. Primarily used in the development world ( development of products ) it denotes the process that you can achieve a goal with using the least amount of resources as possible.

You people are seriously reading too much into a common idiom.

Kiddeth, Jan 6, 2014
  10. [quote user="HungryTurkey"]

[/quote]

This is directly from that misterxmedia site. I found this blog a few days ago and I had no idea the video game world had it's own conspiracy nuts. It was pretty funny except that some kids are actually buying into this crap and are gonna be really disappointed
    when nothing comes of it.

11. [quote user="Sunburst Univox"]

[quote user="HungryTurkey"]

[/quote]

This is directly from that misterxmedia site. I found this blog a few days ago and I had no idea the video game world had it's own conspiracy nuts. It was pretty funny except that some kids are actually buying into this crap and are gonna be really disappointed
    when nothing comes of it.

[/quote]

everything these "insiders" like mistermediax say are crap. most of it is pure guesses and they are wrong 95% of the time, then they guess right once and everyone thinks they are more then some loser in their parents basement

Upinya Slayin, Jan 6, 2014
  12. I really don't think MS holds the rights to decide what format is better for the video game console market as opposed to whats better for them.

RedEye Expr3ss, Oct 31, 2018
  13. StrangerJim Win User

get away with

Agree it might be awhile before we see a disk less console, the biggest hang up being consumers wanting to be able to sell trade and loan there games. MS has already stated that they have been working at a way to do all of this with digital media so if they
    can get all of the kinks out of the system I don’t see any reason they would not release a digital only XB1 especially if they could undercut Sony’s price.
  14. ShadowRiver797 Win User

get away with

[quote user="Sunburst Univox"]I just think it says something about their attitude towards us consumers, instead of looking for ways to please us it makes it seem as though they're trying to see what they can get away with.[/quote]

And this is exactly why I don't like MS. And it's been their attitude for a while (when wanting people to go to a subscription model for Office, knowing that most people don't need Office updated every year so that's not enticing enough, they tried to make
    it so if you bought Office you could only install it on one machine ever. The whole policies they tried and 180'd on with Xbox One, getting people to ignore the fact they want to charge you for Netflix despite the fact that they don't even maintain or run
    Netflix and you already pay for Netflix and you pay your internet provider for the internet).

It's a big reason why I'm biased against xbox, isn't cause of the xbox itself, it's because it's attached to a company with a really crappy attitude towards customers (what can we get away with that the customer will just "deal with it" very much sums up their
    attitude of their customers).
  15. Sunburst Univox Win User

get away with

I don't, that would be impossible. If MS ever went all-digital I wouldn't invest until I saw a decrease in prices.
  16. JohnnyVonRotten Win User

get away with

Nobody complains about this crap with Steam.

And as others have pointed out, OP is totally overthinking what Spencer said. I use that phrase all the time, and it's never because I'm trying to pull a fast one. It basically just means, "would it be practical?"
  17. Dynamic Sausage Win User

get away with

[quote user="HungryTurkey"]

[/quote]

Eh?

How is this relevant to the discussion of disc drives and their presence?
Thema:

get away with

1. get away with - Similar Threads - away

2. Black screen of death won't go away no matter what

in XBoX on Consoles
    Black screen of death won't go away no matter what: So, this has been going on for about a day or two now where when I boot up the console it just gives a black screen. The remote is unresponsive as well as the Xbox when I try to use remote play....
  3. Why does my xbox one turn on and then off straight away?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one turn on and then off straight away?: Hi, I was wondering why when i turn my xbox one console on, why it turns on with no startup sounds and 5 seconds later it turns off. It started Yesterday, I was on it watching youtube when all of...
  4. Please take away the jump in with friends option

in XboX Insiders
    Please take away the jump in with friends option: Top of your friends list that silly box that you can’t RT down from is unnecessary. It doesn’t even show all friends in parties just random ones. Horrible idea submitted by /u/Slixoo [link]...
  5. after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away

in XBoX on Consoles
    after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away: i was having trouble downloading GTA V which i saw a lot of people do and someone said to clear local saved games in settings in which i did, i then booted up my xbox series X to find my...
  6. Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?: Seriously, I killed myself to collect enough points from those damn rewards to be able to redeem 200 coins twice, and when I finally got it, you just removed any coin option from Overwatch and put...
  7. Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?: Seriously, I killed myself to collect enough points from those damn rewards to be able to redeem 200 coins twice, and when I finally got it, you just removed any coin option from Overwatch and put...
  8. Shiftlock moves my mouse away in microsoft store roblox version

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Shiftlock moves my mouse away in microsoft store roblox version: Hello! I have an issue with the shiftlock version of roblox (microsoft store). Whenever I turn it on, it works like normal. But my actual computer mouse doesn't get locked! For example, since I...
  9. Installed language packs change the displayed language of certain apps away from the default

in XBoX on Windows
    Installed language packs change the displayed language of certain apps away from the default: I recently installed the Japanese language pack so that I could type Japanese characters when I wanted/needed, as it is a language I am currently studying. However, I noticed that all the Windows...
  10. My son's account got perma banned when we were away, no reason given, no details (all boxes...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My son's account got perma banned when we were away, no reason given, no details (all boxes...: Hi, I have a family account that has both my son's xbox account on it and mine. We were were away on holiday and returned home to find his account had been perman banned (and IP banned) so I...