get away with

Discus and support get away with in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; What? That's what I've been talking about. A discless Xbox... which the One's successor will certainly be. Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sunburst Univox, Jan 5, 2014.

1. get away with

What? That's what I've been talking about. A discless Xbox... which the One's successor will certainly be.

JohnnyVonRotten, Jan 5, 2014
  2. Telling me not to buy a non-existent console isn't really contributing to the discussion in any meaningful way and how the hell do you know what the next console will be? Maybe we'll be using tubes instead of discs or whatever else they might come up with
    in the future. At least wait and see how the Steam box does before making that call.

Sunburst Univox, Jan 5, 2014
  3. Glannigan
    Glannigan Guest
    Well from Microsofts perspective I can see why it was discussed. By carrying Blu Ray they are supporting Sony since Blu Ray is a Sony Property. I beleive So for every Xone sold because it now has a Blu Ray Disc drive.

Glannigan, Jan 5, 2014
  4. get away with

Yeah, and the X1 could hardly be called your all in one home entertainment device without a blu-ray drive, that's just silly. Another thing I found interesting is that this discussion happened AFTER the E3 disaster, to me that is just insane. Hey guys, why
    don't we just p**s people off even more?

Sunburst Univox, Jan 5, 2014
  5. ^^ As per 2 post ago, it's a sony product so of course MS would be interested in not using it. A digital only games setup isn't going to happen anytime in the near future, this topic has been around since floppy disc and 56k modems. People who want this
    can already buy digital, countries that don't offer unlimitted internet aren't going to follow this.

RedEye Expr3ss, Jan 5, 2014
  6. LstManStndng
    LstManStndng Guest
    I think his choice of words might have been poor in light of the poor PR job that was done prior to launch, but I think the point was what would us consumers really be ready for and accept. I was really set to go PS4 after the reveal, but looking at what
    MSFT was looking to do, a lot of the DRM stuff seems to be inherent to having all digital purchases. It would be great to launch games by voice or gesture instead of putting a disc in but that functionality had to be put on hold because most gamers weren't
    ready to go that route yet. Funny thing is that the Steam box is disc-less and it seems to be garnering tons of praise...

LstManStndng, Jan 6, 2014
  7. [quote user="Sunburst Univox"]I just think it says something about their attitude towards us consumers, instead of looking for ways to please us it makes it seem as though they're trying to see what they can get away with.[/quote]

And this is exactly why I don't like MS. And it's been their attitude for a while (when wanting people to go to a subscription model for Office, knowing that most people don't need Office updated every year so that's not enticing enough, they tried to make
    it so if you bought Office you could only install it on one machine ever. The whole policies they tried and 180'd on with Xbox One, getting people to ignore the fact they want to charge you for Netflix despite the fact that they don't even maintain or run
    Netflix and you already pay for Netflix and you pay your internet provider for the internet).

It's a big reason why I'm biased against xbox, isn't cause of the xbox itself, it's because it's attached to a company with a really crappy attitude towards customers (what can we get away with that the customer will just "deal with it" very much sums up their
    attitude of their customers).

ShadowRiver797, Jan 6, 2014
  8. Boas BS5
    Boas BS5 Guest

get away with

I wouldnt support a discless system over one with the option of discs. I like to trade my games, lend them to friends etc

Boas BS5, Jan 6, 2014
  9. StrangerJim
    StrangerJim Guest
    TC is reading way too much into the statement or is trolling. They were not discussing how to “rip off the consumer” they were trying to decide if a disk less lower cost all digital gaming machine (like Steam will be) would sell better than a more expensive
    system with the disk drive.

Would you buy a disk less XB1 for $300-$350?

StrangerJim, Jan 6, 2014
  10. If Microsoft had gone for a only digital console, then they would have seen less sales.

-

I for one would never had purchased one in the first place, along with many other people.. I love my box editions of games, special tin sets and characters you get with special editions.

-

Also, with the prices of some of the games that are years old, still being their original retail price. It is a format you would never get me down. Also the lack of an adequate internet infrastructure in many countries. Including many developed countries,
    does not lend itself to a digital only gaming console gaming world currently.

-

Also, Physical sales at launch of a game outnumber digital purchases by quite a bit. But it is in DLC and extras that we see digital catch up. Please see attached link of EA's 2013 digital and retail figures.

-

investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm

-

For the gist of it. EA took almost as much from Digital as they did from Physical, But this includes, DLC for FPS, like Call Of Duty, BF. Subscriptions for BF and COD, Their Digital Mobile Market including Tapped Out, (taking $10 million on it's own) and
    other digital mobile games. And many other forms of digital software.

-

But in essence it is a size issue that leads still to a disc system. I believe it won't be long until you see 2 disc blu-ray games, because a 50gb disc will just not be big enough. Once you do (and believe me 160gb disc are available). Internet providers
    will not want people to download such vast amounts of data for cheap prices.

HairyLoveSpuds, Jan 6, 2014
  11. StrangerJim
    StrangerJim Guest
    Yes MS would have lost some sells but they would have gained sells from the lower price point. In the end MS decided the console market wasn’t ready for all digital yet, but I would not be surprised if we see a diskless XB1 sometime in the future

StrangerJim, Jan 6, 2014
  12. NEWB 720
    NEWB 720 Guest
    [quote user="Sunburst Univox"]

There are people that simply cannot afford to buy games at $60, it doesn't mean they are cheap. And why would you want prices to remain at a stable $60, as a consumer shouldn't you want competition to create lower prices? Unless you work for a game company
    I can't understand the logic behind this. Why does anything need to be done about all the physical media circulated in the used market? I don't even know where you could possibly be going with this line of thinking.

[/quote]

I know people who are cheap, these people also have more than enough to buy the games new, they look around to find used games for dirt cheap. If that option were not available they would buy new at full price.
    The ones who cannot afford it can save up their money and buy fewer games. Instead of purchasing 4 used games at $15 for $60 and none of the money going toward the publisher they can buy 1 game for the $60 with all of the money
    can go to the publisher. They will only have a few less games than they normally would.
    The physical media already in circulation is so cheap now that it makes the digital download ports almost not worth considering. When you can buy mario bros on a cartridge cheaper than you can off the marketplace then why go
    through the effort of porting it over for such little gain?

NEWB 720, Jan 6, 2014
  13. get away with

[quote user="StrangerJim"]

Yes MS would have lost some sells but they would have gained sells from the lower price point. In the end MS decided the console market wasn’t ready for all digital yet, but I would not be surprised if we see a diskless XB1 sometime in the future

[/quote]

And look how well it worked out when Sony released their PSP as a digital only version.

Dynamic Sausage, Jan 6, 2014
  14. [quote user="JohnnyVonRotten"]

And as others have pointed out, OP is totally overthinking what Spencer said. I use that phrase all the time, and it's never because I'm trying to pull a fast one. It basically just means, "would it be practical?"

[/quote]

^ I agree with this completely. I've been around long enough to have had several different hobbies in my lifetime and most of them have been the kind of hobby that involves newer and/or cutting edge technology and performance. The use of the phrase 'what can
    we get away with' is pretty commonplace when it comes to this kind of atmosphere.

Take older cars, restoration and/or muscle car building. There is always a balance between performance, reliability and longevity. R/C vehicle racing... I had tons of fun in that hobby and 'get away with' when it came to discussing upgrades and modifications
    was the name of the game in order to stay competitive with other racers.

Just to add some context, yes there were/are governing bodies that set different rules and class restrictions on the races and vehicles involved... and NO, when we said 'get away with' we weren't talking about how to cheat our way around a certain rule. We
    were simply discussing how we could get away with using a particular part or modification to gain performance in one area without losing too much in another.

IMO, Spencer was doing nothing more than talking shop and it got taken out of context.

A Blue Illusion, Jan 6, 2014
  15. StrangerJim
    StrangerJim Guest
    [quote user="Dynamic Sausage"]

[quote user=""]

[/quote]

And look how well it worked out when Sony released their PSP as a digital only version.

[/quote]None of Sony’s hand held games have sold well disk based or not but that was not point. The TC is implying that MS was trying to screw over there consumers but I was pointing out that that they were going through the normal design cycle of determining
    where the market was heading. They were simply deciding between a lower cost all digit vs a higher cost disk system.

StrangerJim, Jan 6, 2014
Thema:

get away with

1. get away with - Similar Threads - away

2. PC xbox app opens then closes right away

in XBoX on Windows
    PC xbox app opens then closes right away: I've tried repairing and resetting Xbox app, uninstalling gaming services and reinstalling it, updating Xbox app in the Microsoft store. I pretty much tried everything i found online except...
  3. Can I report someone for reporting me without reason and getting my comms taken away?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can I report someone for reporting me without reason and getting my comms taken away?: A friend on Xbox keeps reporting my account that ends up getting comms banned then his reasoning is that I "just deserve it" he keeps saying I'm for the streets, and many worse things but I know...
  4. Black screen of death won't go away no matter what

in XBoX on Consoles
    Black screen of death won't go away no matter what: So, this has been going on for about a day or two now where when I boot up the console it just gives a black screen. The remote is unresponsive as well as the Xbox when I try to use remote play....
  5. Why does my xbox one turn on and then off straight away?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one turn on and then off straight away?: Hi, I was wondering why when i turn my xbox one console on, why it turns on with no startup sounds and 5 seconds later it turns off. It started Yesterday, I was on it watching youtube when all of...
  6. Please take away the jump in with friends option

in XboX Insiders
    Please take away the jump in with friends option: Top of your friends list that silly box that you can’t RT down from is unnecessary. It doesn’t even show all friends in parties just random ones. Horrible idea submitted by /u/Slixoo [link]...
  7. after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away

in XBoX on Consoles
    after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away: i was having trouble downloading GTA V which i saw a lot of people do and someone said to clear local saved games in settings in which i did, i then booted up my xbox series X to find my...
  8. Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?: Seriously, I killed myself to collect enough points from those damn rewards to be able to redeem 200 coins twice, and when I finally got it, you just removed any coin option from Overwatch and put...
  9. Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do you guys keep taking away the coins from Overwatch?: Seriously, I killed myself to collect enough points from those damn rewards to be able to redeem 200 coins twice, and when I finally got it, you just removed any coin option from Overwatch and put...
  10. Shiftlock moves my mouse away in microsoft store roblox version

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Shiftlock moves my mouse away in microsoft store roblox version: Hello! I have an issue with the shiftlock version of roblox (microsoft store). Whenever I turn it on, it works like normal. But my actual computer mouse doesn't get locked! For example, since I...