Gears of War 5 - Black Screen/PC Reboot after Frost Skull/Menu Screen

Discus and support Gears of War 5 - Black Screen/PC Reboot after Frost Skull/Menu Screen in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Gears 5 is crashing my PC and forcing an entire system restart after the Frost Skull Logo appears. It has previously worked without any issue on this... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by BrianArmstrong6, May 3, 2023.

1. Gears of War 5 - Black Screen/PC Reboot after Frost Skull/Menu Screen

Gears 5 is crashing my PC and forcing an entire system restart after the Frost Skull Logo appears.

It has previously worked without any issue on this exact system, but it completely unusable now.

I was originally playing on Xbox Game Pass, but in a desperate attempt to play i bought it on Steam with the same issue occuring.

Here is what I’ve tried so far:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Gears 5 on Solid State Drive with 300gb free
    - Updating Windows and Nvidia Graphic Drivers
    - Signed out of the Windows Store & Xbox Live and back in
    - Reset the Store and Xbox related apps via Apps & Features in the Windows 11
    - Tried starting the game with a single 16:9 monitor and with a 21:9 on separate occasions
    - I've an active Xbox Live Game Pass Ultimate subscription
    - I can play any other Gamepass game except Gears 5.
    - I uninstalled all RGB, Razor, MSI Dragon Centre and iCue software
    - I paused my Antivirus
    - I disabled all Startup Programs
    - I disabled all overlay programs - Invidia Overlay/Game Bar
    - I removed any power curves/fan curves.
    - There is zero overclocking

Here is a youtube video of my issue - https://youtu.be/sz0X9O2KrpY

My System is:

Ryzen 5600X
    Gigabyte Nvidia 3070
    32Gb 3600mhz vengeance ram
    1TB SSD

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

BrianArmstrong6, May 3, 2023
  2. WattyNuela Win User

Hi BrianArmstrong, this is Manuela. I'm an Independent Advisor

Sorry to hear that you're not able to play Gears of War 5 in your PC. Checking all the possible solutions that you tried and as you're experiencing this issue only with both versions of Gears of War 5, the best option is to report the problem with the them

https://support.gearsofwar.com/hc/requests/new
  3. Timobkg Win User

Gears of War 4 on PC stuck on loading screen every time

Gears of War 4 was installed via the Xbox app. So far, it's the only game that's having issues starting, but I'm going to try out other games through the Xbox app to see if any of them are similarly afflicted. (Update: Some are, see below.)

So far I've found that it starts up normally after a reboot, including up to a few hours after a reboot, but it will hang when launched the following day. It seems like it's hanging while trying to contact the server for the MOTD - after pressing a button to start, it never gets to the splash screen advertising Gears of War 5.

I'm going to try Gears of War 5 and other games to see if any other game is similarly afflicted. Then I'll try the troubleshooting steps you listed.

Update: I waited a day after reboot and tried some games.

Gears of War 4 launched but got stuck in the same place.

The Gunk launched and played correctly without issues.

When launching Gears of War 5 for the first time, the launcher needed to download gigabytes of additional data, then threw up an error message saying, "Something went wrong launching your game. Error code: (0x8007042b)", but it did successfully launch the game so I'm not sure what the error was. I had thought the Gears of War 5 had frozen as the initial splash screen with the skull and spinning gear went on for a couple minutes, but it eventually load to the "Press Enter/A to Play" screen. But then it seemed to hang, as after pressing a button I got a spinning icon in the corner and nothing else. So it seems like Gears of War 5 is similarly afflicted. Re-launching it did not show an error message, but it hung in the same place after pressing a button to play.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy showed the launcher screen saying it was launching the game, then displayed the message, "Something went wrong launching your game. Error code: (0x80070102)" and closed out without launching the game. It won't launch at all.

Doom Eternal had the same issue as Guardians of the Galaxy: "Something went wrong launching your game. Error code: (0x80070102)"

Forza Horizon 4 launched and started up correctly.

Scarlet Nexus launched and started up correctly.
  4. Tommy JPW Win User

Did the update do this??

I’ve got this issue also, but with the added extra of my screen going completely black and then taking 5 minutes until i can see a home screen after a hard reboot!
  5. Amaliya Husain Cole Win User

My series X has a problem with it's menus

So after an update all my purchased games are gone and none of the "menus" work - its like when I got to settings i see a gear in the center of the screen and nothing else - - i found out that none of the menus are working as i had to put it in narrator mode then on the black screen with gear in middle i use the controller to move around till i found out what i was looking for based -as the narrator would help find the hidden text menu -- but there is no way to fix anything as i cant see it - its just a black screen - this is unacceptable for a newer style console
  6. voteDC Win User

2 player split screen games?

Resident Evil 5 and Gears of War 2 have split-screen co-op.
Thema:

1. Gears of War 5 - Black Screen/PC Reboot after Frost Skull/Menu Screen - Similar Threads - Gears War Black

2. Replacement parts for Gears of War 4 Elite Controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Replacement parts for Gears of War 4 Elite Controller: Hi there, I am going out on a limb here and hoping someone could help. My partner has a Gears of War 4 elite controller and sadly the joystick thumb grips have torn off. She has had the...
  3. How to play gears of war 2 split screen on the series x with a guest a count

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to play gears of war 2 split screen on the series x with a guest a count: Need help *Moved from Gaming and Xbox / Other* 901b21f1-de94-4d56-8daf-25ae7bea2891
  4. Gears of war 2 and 3 are broken

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of war 2 and 3 are broken: I can’t log onto either games I paid money for due to profile specific crash glitches that happen on backwards compatibility. The only fixes to it aren’t possible on the series x and s to my...
  5. Does Gears of War Ultimate Edition gives you the Xbox 360 games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does Gears of War Ultimate Edition gives you the Xbox 360 games?: I bought today Gears of War Ultimate Edition deluxe and someone told me that it gives you the 4 Gears of War 360 games and their dlcs. Is it true because I didn't saw them on my library when I...
  6. Do I still get all the games from the Gears of War collection if I buy Gears of War...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do I still get all the games from the Gears of War collection if I buy Gears of War...: I was wondering if I buy the Gears of War ultimate edition on my Xbox from the Microsoft store do I also get all the games from the Gears of War collection? 3fa0da9c-9eb2-4d77-acd9-050f7117fe29
  7. Does anyone know how to correct the Fatal Memory error GW513 error for Gears of War 5?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know how to correct the Fatal Memory error GW513 error for Gears of War 5?: I'm having the an issue running Gears of War 5 on my PC. The loading splash screen comes up, and then the game will hang and produce a Fatal Memory Error code GW513 ... this began happening fairly...
  8. How can I get my stats back for Gears of War 3?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How can I get my stats back for Gears of War 3?: I have been playing Gears 3 on the xbox one recently, using the cloud to keep track of my player data. Today I got reset on all of my stats after the game crashed while i was loading into the next...
  9. Gears of war 4 says i dont have the full game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of war 4 says i dont have the full game: I want to play Gears of War 4, I have the full game, but it doesn't appear on the Microsoft Store. When I open the game it says I don't have the full game and that i have to buy it, even though i...
  10. When I try to play some games like starfield, halo or gears of war I get a completely green...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I try to play some games like starfield, halo or gears of war I get a completely green...: When I try to play some games like starfield, halo or gears of war I get a completely green screen but if I play humankind it works perfectly. Not sure what's going on. If it's the tv as it never...