Gaming on a 4K tv will take some getting used too.

Discus and support Gaming on a 4K tv will take some getting used too. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; It looks so weird. Normally I used a 43” 1080p but last night I bought a Samsung 55” 4K tv. It looks weird. I know games are not in 4K yet, but it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by brandiesel1, Oct 20, 2017.

1. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest

It looks so weird. Normally I used a 43” 1080p but last night I bought a Samsung 55” 4K tv. It looks weird. I know games are not in 4K yet, but it seems like pop-up in the game (Mass Effect: Andromeda) is worse now. Not sure if that is the tv or if I notice
    more easily now due to screen size?

Also, regular tv shows looks fake. It’s like you can tell they are acting and my whole family hates it. Maybe we’re not used to it.

Hopefully that pop-up stops with the Xbox One X unless it’s the tv causing it.

Just not used to this size. Might downsize it a bit.

Picture quality is ridiculously good though.

:)

brandiesel1, Oct 20, 2017
  2. Xbox One X 4K Gaming on a 4K UHD ( not HDR ) TV

I'm getting some mixed feedback from several parties. The Xbox One X supports 4K gaming. That's a step up from the One S which only support 4K media playback.

Some sources are saying 4K gaming will only work on a 4K HDR TV, not a 4K UHD TV.

Can you confirm? I'd hate to sink $500 into a new console only to find out i need to replace my 65" 4K UHD TV to use it.

GeoffreyMcCorkle, Oct 20, 2017
  3. Miller Park
    Miller Park Guest
    Any TV experts out there?

I need help regarding 4K TVs. I recently bought the 4K Samsung below a couple of days ago, but it's only 60hz. The Sony is 120hz which I thinking about getting. If going solely by the reviews, it looks like the Samsung wins, but there are some specs that
    stand out to me in the Sony TV that make me unsure. Keep in mind I'm going to be using this mainly for gaming—I know consoles don't support 4K gaming yet, but the next consoles will so I'm preparing for that. Don't want to spend too much on a 4K TV when 8K
    should be out this year.

Thanks for you help.

Samsung JU6400 Review (UN40JU6400, UN43JU6400, UN48JU6400, UN55JU6400, UN60JU6400, UN65JU6400) - RTINGS.com

www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c

Miller Park, Oct 20, 2017
  4. User 9242019
    User 9242019 Guest

Turn off what Samsung calls "auto motion plus" or anything involving smoothing and that will get rid what is referred to as the "Soap Opera Effect"

There also should be a game mode that can be used to lessen screen lag.

User 9242019, Oct 21, 2017
  5. You will get used to it.

I had a Samsung 42" 1080 for seven years and upgraded to a Samsung 50" 4K only two months ago.

Got my One X on pre-order but still on 360 at the moment and that looks so much sharper on the 4K TV.

Put YouTube on and search for the 4K vids on there, they will blow your mind with the clarity.

Even normal DVDs look so much better.

Paraffin Alien, Oct 21, 2017
  6. Tzar of kaos
    Tzar of kaos Guest
    Yop,check your settings for each input and internet.you tube can be helpful.

Also even if your source isn't in 4K,your tv should have 4K upscaler.

On mine (LG) everything is in 4K (it's also the only resolution my tv can do).

Tzar of kaos, Oct 21, 2017
  7. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    I'm in no rush to get a 4k TV as they're expensive they cost more than the price of an Xbox One X. I have a good Full HD TV so will still enjoy rich visual fidelity from games and the faster dashboard thanks to the better processing power from the X. Faster
    boot up and shutdowns and loading times for games thanks to a FASTER 7200RPM HDD (rather than the 5400rpm which the original and S models have).

If you have a 1080p TV with HDR, that's great. Samsung and Sony are good brands. They may charge more, but their hardware has a low failure rate and they have good customer support in NZ/Australia too, they're not just an American company with shoddy support
    coverage in Australasia.

smileskybird, Oct 21, 2017
  8. Gaming on a 4K tv will take some getting used too.

Technology itself evolve and becomes better each generation.

That is the best reason to get latest tec you can afford.

If you use photo manipulating software there are so many options to have impact on clarity of photage.

Same in camera actually. Selecting Landscape as style you get bluer sky, increased sharpness of details etc.

Your eyes cannot tell if 4k or 2k of 50" unless you have 40 degrees viewing angle or so, meaning 1.5m viewing distance.

So that upscaled also give better perceived clarity is about something else but pixels.

Do calcs like this.

16/9 aspect tell that size given by manufacturer is 16*16+9*9=337 and square root give 18.36 in relation.

So 16/18.36=0.87 of 50"=43.6" width(I do 111 cm).

Half width compared to viewing distance 55.5/150 and take arc tan of that 20.3 degrees which is half viewing angle then so 40.6 degrees which eyes would resolve.

40.6 degrees and 3840 pixels(just 40.6/3840 multiplied by 60) is 0.63 arc minutes. Regular grown up vision roughly 1 arc minute, and baby 0.4 arc minutes.

So even here pretty good vision to actually resolve that.

But brains are amazing things and we will probably perceived better picture without actually resolving each pixel.

Do same but more normal viewing distance 2m and 2.5m and 3840 pixels width.

2m and 50"=31 degrees viewing angle and 0.48 arc minutes vision to resolve.

2.5m and 50"= 25 degrees and 0.39 arc minutes vision.

This is games outputting all pixels as they are over hdmi.

Start looking at what happends to video that is streamed and what bitrate you get for H264 as common compression.

Full HD start looking really good at about 18 Mbps or so bitrate.

So what is your supplier actually deliver over your internet when you pay for UHD quality - check that out?

It's better to get full HD at better bitrate than squashing UHD on 20 Mbps or so.

Here a site to compare how cinemas with even 4k and 5m screens look really good - that makes you think about this pixel hunting, doesn't it:

RED Digital Cinema | Red 101

BookishFlunky90, Oct 21, 2017
  9. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest
    Thanks Jayadub, that fixed it, but frame rate is a little choppy.

You guys are right, non 4K games still look really good.

brandiesel1, Nov 1, 2018
  10. brandiesel1 Win User

Thanks Jayadub, that fixed it, but frame rate is a little choppy.

You guys are right, non 4K games still look really good.
  11. smileskybird Win User

I'm in no rush to get a 4k TV as they're expensive they cost more than the price of an Xbox One X. I have a good Full HD TV so will still enjoy rich visual fidelity from games and the faster dashboard thanks to the better processing power from the X. Faster
    boot up and shutdowns and loading times for games thanks to a FASTER 7200RPM HDD (rather than the 5400rpm which the original and S models have).

If you have a 1080p TV with HDR, that's great. Samsung and Sony are good brands. They may charge more, but their hardware has a low failure rate and they have good customer support in NZ/Australia too, they're not just an American company with shoddy support
    coverage in Australasia.
  12. Tzar of kaos Win User

Yop,check your settings for each input and internet.you tube can be helpful.

Also even if your source isn't in 4K,your tv should have 4K upscaler.

On mine (LG) everything is in 4K (it's also the only resolution my tv can do).
  13. Paraffin Alien Win User

You will get used to it.

I had a Samsung 42" 1080 for seven years and upgraded to a Samsung 50" 4K only two months ago.

Got my One X on pre-order but still on 360 at the moment and that looks so much sharper on the 4K TV.

Put YouTube on and search for the 4K vids on there, they will blow your mind with the clarity.

Even normal DVDs look so much better.
  14. User 9242019 Win User

Turn off what Samsung calls "auto motion plus" or anything involving smoothing and that will get rid what is referred to as the "Soap Opera Effect"

There also should be a game mode that can be used to lessen screen lag.
Thema:

1. Gaming on a 4K tv will take some getting used too. - Similar Threads - Gaming getting used

2. How come I get banned from xbox live for using bad language in a game that’s rated M for...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How come I get banned from xbox live for using bad language in a game that’s rated M for...: As I stated I was playing call of duty MW3 zombies when I went down and I asked players for help and a guy asked where I was and when I told him I didn’t know where I was he started bad mouthing...
  3. How do I get the game pass that we have been using for years on xbox to show up on our new PC?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I get the game pass that we have been using for years on xbox to show up on our new PC?: New PC build. My son has signed into his microsoft account and I can see his username in the xbox app. I can go to his profile info and see all the achievements for the games he plays on xbox. But...
  4. Can I get banned if I use xim on offline games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I get banned if I use xim on offline games?: I have been wondering, if I can use xim on xbox offline games that don't allow keyboard and mouse and not get banned, because I'm thinking of buying one for christmas...
  5. Would I be able to use a Minecraft gift card to get the game on my Xbox?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Would I be able to use a Minecraft gift card to get the game on my Xbox?: It's pretty much as said above, I'm wondering if I could use the Minecraft gift card to get it on my Xbox bdf1c0c2-8f4d-4e01-a0de-5d04a3251373
  6. I get kicked out of the game I’m playing when the kids use their console to play games at...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I get kicked out of the game I’m playing when the kids use their console to play games at...: When I’m using my Xbox and the kids try to use their Xbox I get kicked out of my game. They have their own family profiles and they are on a different console in a different room but we can’t play...
  7. Can I use my old password on a new Xbox account so I can get my games back

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can I use my old password on a new Xbox account so I can get my games back: Can I use my old password on a new Xbox account so I can get my games back d90ed0f2-2f96-48b6-b2a8-ba93588c4ab9
  8. I can't get the mic to work on Xbox Game Bar using SteelSeries GG Sonar software. Can...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I can't get the mic to work on Xbox Game Bar using SteelSeries GG Sonar software. Can...: Split from this thread. I have the EXACT same set up as you so I might be able to help. I have had many problems with the steels series software before and I think I know how to fix it. Open...
  9. I can't get the mic to work on Xbox Game Bar using SteelSeries GG Sonar software. Can...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I can't get the mic to work on Xbox Game Bar using SteelSeries GG Sonar software. Can...: I recently got a SteelSeries headset and cannot get the mic to work. I've tried resetting the game bar and the SteelSeries software and found the exact same result. I haven't been able to find a...
  10. How do you use the "single use add-on tokens" you get from borderlands 1 game of the year...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do you use the "single use add-on tokens" you get from borderlands 1 game of the year...: How do you use the "single use tokens for add-on content" that comes with the Xbox 360 game of the year for borderlands 1. It doesn't tell you how to redeem them and when I try to look it up on...