Games stuck on "checking for updates"

Discus and support Games stuck on "checking for updates" in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've tried everything I can find online about this issue. I've hard reset, power cycled, unplugged headsets, restarted everything, reset the router,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DJ Worldwide, Sep 10, 2022.

1. DJ Worldwide
    DJ Worldwide Guest

I've tried everything I can find online about this issue. I've hard reset, power cycled, unplugged headsets, restarted everything, reset the router, checked router settings, confirmed NAT on Open, reset Mac address, tried different DNS, tried toggling between QoS settings, signed out of accounts, deleted profile and reentered everything. It gets past the "checking for updates window" when I use my phone's hotspot and on different networks at my friends place but not on my wifi. When I test the network it says everything is good to go but always gets stuck loading the game at "checking for updates." It is so frustrating, any help would be great thanks!

:)

DJ Worldwide, Sep 10, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite This DJ

You already tried a lot of things, and as you said it seems that's an issue with your current ISP provider.

I can advise you couple things more to try:

A. If possible, try connecting the console via cable if you tried only via wifi to see how it goes

B. Try closing and re-opening the ports required for the Xbox live network in your router settings:

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    Port 3544 (UDP)
    Port 4500 (UDP)

C. Perform an offline update for your console. In that way Xbox system will be installed from scratch.
    For this you need a USB and PC to format it and transfer files provided in the link below (with steps):

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne... Perform

D. If the extra options doesn't work you may need to ask to your ISP one of the next things:
    1. See if they can assign an static IP for your Xbox Console

2. Ask them to assign you a completely different IP address for your router, in case the current is the one causing the issue

3. Ask them to give you a different router (brand and model)
  3. rokups Win User

I have same problem. This started yesterday. In addition to updating failure, i can not start games either. Normally i use my ISPs DNS, but i set up a local DNS server just to see where xbox is connecting. I checked addresses i gathered - none of them are blocked by my ISP and are reachable from my PC. I also have working UPnP so port blocking should not be an issue.

A workaround in my case is also to use phone as hotspot, launch a game and then switch back to wired connection.

Issue seems to be outside of our local networks. I have few hypothesis:

1. ISP is blocking something. The fact that all addresses xbox tries to contact are reachable makes this not very likely.

2. Xbox network is denying us access for some reason. I think this is a little more plausible, because xbox servers are reachable, so failure happens somewhere after connecting to them. Maybe access is denied because of our IP addresses? Although mine did not change in a long while. I believe in my case failure happens after connecting to device.auth.xboxlive.com, as that is last and only address that shows up in the log of my local DNS server when i try to start a game and fail.

Note that when i go to network settings and select network check option - xbox recognizes itself as being online. Be great if someone could look specifically into our accounts and see if they are blocked/flagged somewhere, which would deny us connecting successfully.
  4. CarTzy Win User

xbox game pass stuck at checking for updates

Hello Suthon Changsalak,

Thank you for your response.

Kindly perform the following steps and let us know if this helps.

Delete Temp Files

• Click Start and click Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Select Storage.
    • Select This PC.
    • Click Temporary files.
    • Choose Temporary files.
    • Click Remove files.

Troubleshoot Store Apps

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store - Microsoft Support

Get Updates for Store and Games

Get updates for apps and games in Microsoft Store - Microsoft Support

Perform Clean Boot

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Run the SFC /SCANNOW command

Open Command Prompt(Admin)

Type the command below.

[table][tr]
    sfc /scannow
    [/tr][/table]
    Wait for the scan to complete.

If there's no errors, you can close the console now.

If it doesn't help, do a Component Store repair with this command:

[table][tr]
    dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    [/tr][/table]
    Restart the computer and run scan again.

[table][tr]
    sfc /scannow
    [/tr][/table]

Re-register Microsoft Store

Search for PowerShell and run it as an administrator

enter the command below

[table][tr]
    "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + 'AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"
    [/tr][/table]
  5. CarTzy Win User

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  6. Jay (Vijayasimha BR) Win User

I have some extra PCs that I don't use regularly, but I open them from storage once every few months, just to keep them updated. That is when I see stuff like this.

1. Usually, simply going to the Windows Store and hitting "Update All" will update Xbox App and all Xbox related services.

1. Occasionally, making sure your windows is FULLY UPDATED (and this can take many, many hours or even days if you haven't been doing it) and also many many restarts, helps.

These two steps have solved every time Xbox game pass gets stuck for me, for the last 5 or so years. If this does not work, I usually take the nuclear option and simply reset the computer and start over. I know this is extreme, but, I just go for it.
Thema:

1. Games stuck on "checking for updates" - Similar Threads - Games stuck checking

2. Updated xbox game pass pc now stuck on update

in XboX Insiders
    Updated xbox game pass pc now stuck on update: I updated the Xbox game pass app and now every time i launch the app it just keeps saying i need to update the app its already updated any ideas please submitted by /u/Suspicious_Coach_233...
  3. How do I fix game bar being stuck on the sign in screen?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix game bar being stuck on the sign in screen?: Ever since the new game bar update I haven't been able to go onto gamebar because it says "signing in". No matter how long I wait for it, it continues to be stuck there. I have tried everything...
  4. Xbox game pass stuck on logo

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game pass stuck on logo: the error occured when I was downloading ARK Survival Evolved and I read that I should change the name of "WindowsApps" folder to "WindowsApps.old" after that my app just kept crashing on start...
  5. MSFS 2020 Game, Now It`s Stuck on "checking for updates" windows 10

in XBoX Games and Apps
    MSFS 2020 Game, Now It`s Stuck on "checking for updates" windows 10: Windows 10 PC Hello My MSFS 2020 Game is not launching and up to now I have had 3 error alerts 01-Error code:(0x8007042b) 02-Error code:(0xc0000005) 03-Error code:(0x800705b4 So I...
  6. Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games: As the title says. I wanted to install Pillars of Eternity, and the download stopped at 136mb in and the app simply said "Checking for updates". I've tried running Powershell as an administrator...
  7. Xbox PC app stuck on "Checking for updates" preventing me from downloading any other game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox PC app stuck on "Checking for updates" preventing me from downloading any other game.: Two days ago my Gaming services "died", Xbox app, as said in the title, is constantly checking for updates preventing me from downloading anything else, if I try to cancel the download it gets...
  8. Xbox Game Pass App Stuck on "Checking updates", can't download, update or cancel the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Game Pass App Stuck on "Checking updates", can't download, update or cancel the...: [img] As I described on this question title, the app seems to be stuck on "checking updates". I have already tried everything in this list: 1) Login with same account on Store and Xbox App, make...
  9. I was trying to update a game but it is stuck at zero. I already tried to check the network...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I was trying to update a game but it is stuck at zero. I already tried to check the network...: I have tried restarting the Xbox, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, switching offline then back online, and lastly I tested all network settings and they were all good. I really need help......
  10. Game Pass remote download stuck on Queued, then turns to Check your Device, yet the remote...

in XBoX on Mobile
    Game Pass remote download stuck on Queued, then turns to Check your Device, yet the remote...: Last night I had used the GamePass mobile app to remote install Forza Horizon 3 to my home console, but when I had done so, the app was stuck in a state where the status of the download was set to...