Games require large updates before being able to play constantly on PC

Discus and support Games require large updates before being able to play constantly on PC in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Often when I try and play games on game pass large game updates are required, is there a way to get game pass to update games in the background or to... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by mrredTB, Mar 11, 2023.

1. mrredTB
    mrredTB Guest

Often when I try and play games on game pass large game updates are required, is there a way to get game pass to update games in the background or to turn of the forced updates? Because the updates take upwards of 30 minutes so often don't get to play and the games when I want to and only seem to start updating when I start the game application which is frustrating.

I have looked in the settings and have clicked the offline permissions enabled.

Games require large updates before being able to play constantly on PC [​IMG]

:)

mrredTB, Mar 11, 2023
  2. Geri M. Win User

Hi mrredTB,

We haven't heard from you for 72 hours, so we assume the issue has already been resolved. We will not monitor this thread going forward, so if you need further assistance, click this link to create a new thread to discuss these issues. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hi mrredTB,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

We understand that you wanted to turn off the automated update of Xbox apps on PC. As per description you have looked in the settings and have clicked the offline permissions enabled, still nothing happens.

All games available through the Xbox Game Pass for PC are installed from the Microsoft Store app on Windows. The Xbox (Beta) app is just an extension of the Microsoft Store to easily launch and manage your games that you get from the subscription among other Xbox Live features. The Xbox (Beta) app does not need to be running for updates to occur automatically because the updates initiate from the Microsoft Store which is always running in the background when you boot up your PC.

You can disable auto updates to games and apps in the Microsoft Store through the Store's settings.

1. Select the Start screen, then select Microsoft Store.
    2. In Microsoft Store at the upper right, select the account menu (the three dots) and then select Settings.
    3. Under App updates, set Update apps automatically to Off.

You can also manually pause or cancel updates if they do start through the download queue in the Microsoft Store. To get to the queue select the account menu (the three dots) > Downloads and updates.

You may also check this article to make changes on your PC settings.

[​IMG]

We hope it worked out well for you. If not, please reply back to this forum to let us know so we could find other options to resolve the problem.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. Mistress Sara Win User

Buying games

There are a number of games that will have, or have had, large updates required before playing the game. The size of the updates depend on a number of different factors.

You can always keep your console in Instant On mode and have automatic updates set up so the updates happen in the background when the console is not being actively used. More information can be found

here
  5. LTZ Suburban Win User

Is there anything actually being done about updates on Xbox?

I know updates are large, but not 200+GB large. At that point, it’s not changing how things work, it is a total rewrite of a game… and if the scripting of a game is that bad it requires a full rewrite, it should have been pulled from the store.

It’s already bad enough, that the game in question released a DLC as a full release. And here am, another update in, and it has yet again uninstalled the entire game to update. I think with Microsoft’s recent acquisition of the publisher/developer in question, that they look deep into the update protocols that constantly makes this happen.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Game installation question, help!

Hi there,

Games on the Xbox One are quite large. A typical full game can go up to 60GB. If a game is 40GB, it will be both 40GB to download and will use 40GB of the hard drive for storage. Xbox One game updates can also be quite large, in some cases up to 13GB,
    although this is rather rare. So if you have a data cap, it may be an idea to change to a different provider.

If you buy a game on disc, you will be required to install whole game before you can play it fully. This will not use any of your download cap, unless the game also requires a update. The updates are no where the same size as the digital downloads though.

Be aware that this is the case on the PS4 too, even PC games are the same size.

So downloading may become an issue for you. Storage space shouldn't be as you can use external hard drives on the Xbox One.
Thema:

1. Games require large updates before being able to play constantly on PC - Similar Threads - Games require large

2. Are there any games that don’t require you to log into servers?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Are there any games that don’t require you to log into servers?: Are there any games that don’t require you to log into servers? I bought FIFA and a snowboarding game thinking I could play without having to deal with logging into servers every time but they...
  3. "This player doesn't meet the requirements to join your current game mode"

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    "This player doesn't meet the requirements to join your current game mode": My friend and I want to play FIFA 23. He's on PC and I'm on Xbox Series X. We're friends on EA Social, we both have an active Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription but still can't play together....
  4. Why does my mw3 require me to purchase game pass to play even tho I bought the game itself?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my mw3 require me to purchase game pass to play even tho I bought the game itself?: I bought the game but it says I need gamepass to play it. 172de818-b765-4a18-bdf1-b87fc0e89476
  5. Why does xbox require a gold subscription to pay for a game I already paid for? But the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does xbox require a gold subscription to pay for a game I already paid for? But the...: I wanted to play rainbow six siege but it said I need to pay for gold. I don’t think this makes sense to make people pay more money to play online games that they are already paying for but the...
  6. Cannot install large games onto my large HDD, since XBOX App requires 4k cluster size,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot install large games onto my large HDD, since XBOX App requires 4k cluster size,...: Hi, A long while ago (many years), I purchased ONE game from the MS store and after running into so much trouble, I never even considered using the MS store ever again for purchasing games. Now...
  7. Why isn't it a requirement for any cross platform game Vs pc players to have mouse and...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why isn't it a requirement for any cross platform game Vs pc players to have mouse and...: Hello, there might be an obvious answer to this. But it seems strange that there are games that have cross play Vs pc players but have no mouse and keyboard support. Why is this? Shouldn't it be a...
  8. Unable to play games with GamePass that require Xbox live sign in (PC) - We couldn't sign...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to play games with GamePass that require Xbox live sign in (PC) - We couldn't sign...: Any time I attempt to sign into a GamePass game, I am met with the error "We couldn't sign you in to Xbox Live (0x80070520)" I am able to sign into the Xbox app with my Xbox live account without...
  9. My EA games are requiring me to select an Xbox game Pass plan to play online.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My EA games are requiring me to select an Xbox game Pass plan to play online.: Hi, I have an Xbox Series X, and for some reason, every time I try to play one of my EA games (Star Wars Battlefront 2, Battlefield 5, etc.) the game pops up a menu for me to select an Xbox game...
  10. How to play a game when error: "Your PC does not meet the system requirements" when it in...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to play a game when error: "Your PC does not meet the system requirements" when it in...: When I run Starfield on my PC (game pass, not bought) it loads the game and then suddenly closes it, before it finishes loading, and gives me the error: "Your PC does not meet the system...