Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five ...

Discus and support Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello all, I have had a problem with games copied to external hard drives not showing up. The space is taken up on the drive, but the games do not... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by User1911A1, Dec 26, 2015.

1. User1911A1
    User1911A1 Guest

Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five ...

Hello all,

I have had a problem with games copied to external hard drives not showing up. The space is taken up on the drive, but the games do not show up when selecting that drive in the selection box. In my household we have three Xbox One consoles. We have a
    VERY slow Internet connection (we live in the country and are extremely fortunate to have a 2.8 mbps DSL connection) so I will often install and update or download a game on one console and then copy it to an external hard drive and then copy it to the other
    consoles. All the hard drives I am using are known good USB 3.0 drives over 300 gigabytes in size.

The problem is that even when I am logged into my Xbox live account quite often the games do not show up when selecting the hard drive in the list. The space the games take up is shown (for instance, if I have 100 gigs taken up on a 300 gig drive, it shows
    200 gigs free) but the games are not listed. If I can go to my recently played games list and hit menu and Manage Game it will show up as being on the drive sometimes so I can copy it to the console but there is no thumbnail icon showing. I have copied half
    a dozen games to a hard drive and had only one or two show up. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a disc based game or downloaded. Also like I said I am always signed into Xbox Live, so I don't think being offline is a problem.

I'll give an example. I just finished updating a disc based installation of Black Ops III (which took four hours) and copied it to an external hard drive. It says the copy completed and the free space of the drive reduced accordingly, but the game does
    not show up on the drive. I can power the Xbox One down and even unplug the power cord from the console and power it back up again and it still will not show up in the list.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this behavior. Like I said I have seen it with three different Xbox One consoles and almost half a dozen external hard drives (I work in IT so I have tons of USB 3.0 drives laying around), so this does not seem to
    be an isolated issue.

Has anyone experienced this and found a workaround for it yet?

Thanks.

:)

User1911A1, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Emrickninja
    Emrickninja Guest
    2TB Seagate External Hard Drive Will Not Download Certain Games

EDIT:

- Tried reformatting drive after failed download.

- Tried changing attached external hard drive to different USB ports that can be installed on Xbox.

When moving or copying the base game to external hard drive, download usually stops around 0.7% to 0.9%

Emrickninja, Dec 26, 2015
  3. SquidKY1219
    SquidKY1219 Guest
    DNS Error

No I have switched the game from the external hard drive to the internal hard drive many times. I have also changed the port many times while the game was on the external hard drive

SquidKY1219, Dec 26, 2015
  4. dysonsFear
    dysonsFear Guest

I'm running into the exact same problem tonight. I've had 2 WD Passports connected for ages now, with no issue, but I just bought a 4tb My Book to consolidate them, and a good chunk of my games have now disappeared. It says that the space is full, but
    no games. The Ready to Install list shows titles that I had installed are now apparently uninstalled, and my on disc games are nowhere to be seen. Also, games that I just finished moving are populating that list now.

Unfortunately, no work around, despite having done a hard reboot one I noticed it. At this point, looks like it's a license related issue, as opposed to a hardware related one.

dysonsFear, Dec 29, 2015
  5. User1911A1
    User1911A1 Guest
    One thing that I noticed is that the problem seems to get worse when you go to move the drive to another console. I will say though I have copied games to a drive and seen it disappear from the list right after I have copied it.

The space is taken up on the drive, but the game does not show up on the list.

User1911A1, Jan 3, 2016
  6. User1911A1
    User1911A1 Guest
    Man, this is hilarious. I'd like to describe something that just happened regarding this problem.

I copied a game to an external hard drive from the console I downloaded it on to copy it to the other one. Miraculously it was visible when I plugged the drive up to the second console. I highlighted the game, selected Manage Game, then COPY, not move
    to the drive on that Xbox One. After the copy was finished, the game no longer showed up in the browse list of the drive I just copied it from. The free space on that drive stayed the same, but the game was no longer listed.

I then changed the storage device from the external drive to show all of them and the game was in the list. When I highlighted the game and selected Manage game it shows up as being on both hard drives.

Man, I can't believe something this goofy has gone on for so long. Licensing shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you do not have a license for a game, it just shouldn't play. I see that all the time if I forget to put a disc in.

For example, my son's console has a copy of a game on it that I downloaded from the disc and let update on my console. I copied the completed download to his console and keyed in a download code for the game that mated it to his account. Both games on
    our consoles came from the same installation, but he doesn't have to put the disc in to play it, but I do. If I try to launch it without the disc it just asks me if I own it. I then put the disc in and it plays.

I wonder if anyone at Microsoft is aware of the extent of this problem. If they are I wonder if they are taking it seriously.

User1911A1, Oct 31, 2018
  7. User1911A1 Win User

Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five different hard drives even when online.

One thing that I noticed is that the problem seems to get worse when you go to move the drive to another console. I will say though I have copied games to a drive and seen it disappear from the list right after I have copied it.

The space is taken up on the drive, but the game does not show up on the list.
  8. User1911A1 Win User

Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five different hard drives even when online.

Man, this is hilarious. I'd like to describe something that just happened regarding this problem.

I copied a game to an external hard drive from the console I downloaded it on to copy it to the other one. Miraculously it was visible when I plugged the drive up to the second console. I highlighted the game, selected Manage Game, then COPY, not move
    to the drive on that Xbox One. After the copy was finished, the game no longer showed up in the browse list of the drive I just copied it from. The free space on that drive stayed the same, but the game was no longer listed.

I then changed the storage device from the external drive to show all of them and the game was in the list. When I highlighted the game and selected Manage game it shows up as being on both hard drives.

Man, I can't believe something this goofy has gone on for so long. Licensing shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you do not have a license for a game, it just shouldn't play. I see that all the time if I forget to put a disc in.

For example, my son's console has a copy of a game on it that I downloaded from the disc and let update on my console. I copied the completed download to his console and keyed in a download code for the game that mated it to his account. Both games on
    our consoles came from the same installation, but he doesn't have to put the disc in to play it, but I do. If I try to launch it without the disc it just asks me if I own it. I then put the disc in and it plays.

I wonder if anyone at Microsoft is aware of the extent of this problem. If they are I wonder if they are taking it seriously.
  9. dysonsFear Win User

I'm running into the exact same problem tonight. I've had 2 WD Passports connected for ages now, with no issue, but I just bought a 4tb My Book to consolidate them, and a good chunk of my games have now disappeared. It says that the space is full, but
    no games. The Ready to Install list shows titles that I had installed are now apparently uninstalled, and my on disc games are nowhere to be seen. Also, games that I just finished moving are populating that list now.

Unfortunately, no work around, despite having done a hard reboot one I noticed it. At this point, looks like it's a license related issue, as opposed to a hardware related one.
  10. SupahDrivah1234 Win User

Error code 0x00000001--cannot install games via Game Pass PC

No, this did not help. After reset, the Xbox app failed to detect my D: drive, forcing me to manually delete GamingServices and Gaming Services.Net from the Registry Editor--which has happened multiple times already--all in order for the app to detect my external hard drive at all.

But even after I finally get it to be detected, I still run into the exact same error code 0x00000001 and all installs of games via Game Pass have failed.

This has happened at least five times already and I'm very tired of running around in circles. I would like a solution that for once doesn't cause my hard drive to disappear from the app.
  11. HazelArc34 Win User

My Skate 3 game is making me start fresh after I did a factory reset of series X where I kept games and appps

No issue has happened to me like this before and skate three was on the external hard drive that I unplugged when I did the factory reset of the console so what happened? The hard drive was not plugged in when the reset happened.
Thema:

1. Games disappearing from external hard drives. Happens on three different systems with five ... - Similar Threads - Games disappearing external

2. All of my games captures have disappeared how do I get them all back?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    All of my games captures have disappeared how do I get them all back?: This 90 day expiry date thing is not an option and there needs to be a way to get everything back because they've been sat on my account for years and now all of a sudden they get deleted?...
  3. My game disappeared after updated the xbox app pc

in XBoX on Consoles
    My game disappeared after updated the xbox app pc: My game disappeared after did the xbox update 6b7b44e0-ff96-4f24-9c0d-f7d10c31565f
  4. The 14-day Game Pass trial disappeared, I never paid for a full month, and I disabled the...

in XboX Insiders
    The 14-day Game Pass trial disappeared, I never paid for a full month, and I disabled the...: I used the 14-day Game Pass trial several times, but I never paid for a full month for financial reasons. I understand that if you do not pay for the full month, the 14-day trial does not...
  5. My Xbox was accidentally unplugged, after I plugged it back in, all the games disappeared

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox was accidentally unplugged, after I plugged it back in, all the games disappeared: My Xbox was accidentally unplugged, after I turned the Xbox back on, nothing appears, apps/games, nothing and you can't go into anything, settings, anything, but the storage in the apps/game area...
  6. My game disappeared.

in XBoX on Windows
    My game disappeared.: hello everyone i bought a game from eneba a year ago. now i got a new pc and when I wanted to download it the game wasn't here. It disappeared. i'm logged in with the right profile. Can anyone...
  7. Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed: Hi so games that i have bought previously i have installed them on my PC using the Xbox App for PC, but as of late whenever i open the Xbox App it is only showing 1 game installed and ready to...
  8. All my gta online progress has disappeared since gta v left the game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    All my gta online progress has disappeared since gta v left the game pass: I am back to where I was before I started playing it on the game pass ee726d8f-8e03-43ea-8656-e6f78f6c55f2
  9. My Xbox game pass quests have disappeared completely and mobile and PC points are not...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Xbox game pass quests have disappeared completely and mobile and PC points are not...: Hi, I’m in the UK and ll the game pass quests on Xbox have disappeared completely there is no longer an option for the quests. Also my mobile and PC point will not register I do like 45 bing...
  10. Why did my game dlc disappear when it was in my game last night but not when I woke up

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why did my game dlc disappear when it was in my game last night but not when I woke up: I play A game on game pass called guilty gear strive and I got A dlc called season pass 3 and when I got in the game last night the content was there but today when I got on the game it wasn’t...