Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive

Discus and support Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive. If I disconnect this drive and connect it to my workstation pc, and connect to... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by welcomerobots, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive

Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive.
    If I disconnect this drive and connect it to my workstation pc, and connect to the gaming laptop again, Gears of War 4 disappears and the empty space on the external drive is the same as if before the installation of Gears of War. It completely disappeared from hdd.
    It is the fourth time I play this installing disappearing reinstalling cycle, something is very wrong with gamepass treating Gears of War 4.

:)

welcomerobots, Mar 29, 2023
  2. welcomerobots Win User

I didn't formatted my Windows 11 on any of the formentioned computers. I installed Gears 5 game on an external drive and installed Gears of War 4 on this same external drive.
    When I moved this drive to another pc (for working purposes) and moved back to the original gaming laptop the Gears of War 4 disappeared, but the Gears 5 remained playable and intact.

After I installed Gears of War 4 game on the external drive, I disconnected and reconnected it the game remained intact.
    If I disconnected and connected to another pc the game disappeared. This game only, other games as Gears 5 remained intact and healthy.
  3. andersonpassos Win User

Unfortunately as a player I can only inform you, if you remove the unit it loses the unit mapping and currently the app does not re-establish this connection, even if you place it again.
  4. andersonpassos Win User

Game Pass games use protected folders, and if format Windows, it no longer recognizes any game even if it is on another external hard drive or hard drive. If you install it on a Windows or PC you don't recognize any of the games.
  5. welcomerobots Win User

Both system is Windows 11, every other application and installed gamepass game remains visible and usable. Gears of War 4 is installed in a hidden folder in Windows Apps, that shows 0 bytes, so the installation method doesn't seem to change after migration to game pass, it still behaves the old Windows Games method.

If I connect my external harddrive to the other Win11 pc, it instantly shows the space used by Gears of War 4 as empty. So the moment exlorer window pops up it shows 100 Gb more empty space.

If I move the external harddrive back to the laptop where my gamepass is installed, now it also shows the empty space, and the Gears of War 4 game is missing from installed games list.

If I reset the game pass application, it shows the game as playable, but there is no game on the disk so game pass cannot start the game.

I don't understand that the problem is a permission problem or the game is deleted completely.

If it was a permission problem why didn't it get resolved when I connect the disk to the original game pass laptop?
  6. andersonpassos Win User

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

Good afternoon

Make sure it is formatted correctly and compatible with both your gaming laptop and workstation PC. If the file system is not compatible, it can cause issues with installing and running games.
Thema:

1. Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive - Similar Threads - Gamepass uninstalls Gears

2. Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games

in XboX Insiders
    Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games: I love that Basic Touch works with remote play. It has been glorious playing BG3, D4, Harold Halibut all in my bed or even my commute IF the connection is stable enough. But, why cant this just...
  3. How do I fix my controller in gamepass pc?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix my controller in gamepass pc?: When playing any games on gamepass on my pc, my controller does not work correctly. It seems as though my controller is fighting with my keyboard for control. Any suggestions?...
  4. Why when I go into the gamepass quests area it says “ We can't check for quests right now”...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why when I go into the gamepass quests area it says “ We can't check for quests right now”...: Why when I go into the gamepass quests area it says “ We can't check for quests right now” but when I got into my back up account it works perfectly? 210c2e1d-b065-40b4-957f-8e6c59731f4f
  5. Playing gamepass on my gaming laptop keeps stuttering.

in XBoX on Windows
    Playing gamepass on my gaming laptop keeps stuttering.: Hi guys! I have an issue with my gaming laptop. When I play gamepass cloud games or installed on my ssd it stutters really bad and cannot play games at all. I was able to before but ever since I...
  6. Xbox GamePass games suggestions

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox GamePass games suggestions: What games do you like to be added into xbox gamepass For me i think the best games that could be added is call of duty , carx drift racing , and crash series let me hear your thoughts...
  7. GamePass for PC error (0x80073b16}

in XBoX on Windows
    GamePass for PC error (0x80073b16}: Xbox GamePass for PC won't launch. Attempted to run repair tool, same error: (0x80073b16) b80adbf8-9a51-4cc9-98f9-dc1d52f9db6e
  8. PC gamepass games keep reinstalling after an uninstall

in XBoX Games and Apps
    PC gamepass games keep reinstalling after an uninstall: I have very frustrating issue going on: Several games from gamepass collection that I have installed earlier and uninstalled later, keep getting redownloaded and reinstalled by the xbox app. Some...
  9. (PC) Gamepass I uninstalled a tmnt shredders revenge and now it wont load

in XBoX Games and Apps
    (PC) Gamepass I uninstalled a tmnt shredders revenge and now it wont load: no errors pop up or anything, I uninstalled because the game wouldn't let me change colors, and upon reinstalling, the game wont start, it says launching game on the bottom right for 1s then it...
  10. Will Xbox PC Gamepass save in-game progress even if the games are uninstalled?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will Xbox PC Gamepass save in-game progress even if the games are uninstalled?: I had 7 days to die amongst other games on my old gaming laptop and had a great run, unfortunately my gaming laptop broke so I had to buy a new one. After setting up my new PC I signed into Xbox...