Gamepass taking over my hardrives

Discus and support Gamepass taking over my hardrives in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I been trying to install apps to my external as that is where I like to keep my games, and after much research I found out it wasn't working cause... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Otomon, Nov 4, 2021.

  1. Otomon
    Otomon Guest

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives


    So I been trying to install apps to my external as that is where I like to keep my games, and after much research I found out it wasn't working cause the drive needs to be NFTS to work for most games. Some games do work on exFAT however.. and finally found one that successfully installed to it.

    HERE IS THE ISSUE:

    1)For some reason even tho it installed to external, it also took over the same amount of space on the internal even tho it didnt install there. At first I thought it was just temporary download files or something, but nope 10GB of my internal where just gone and uninstalling from Gamepass only deleted it from external drive. I tried running disk cleanup but only thing I found there was something called "Delivery optimization files" which were the same size of the game that I had uninstalled from external... is that just a coincidence? How do I clean whatever Gamepass installed from internal?

    2)Second issue is that Gamepass installed a bunch of folders on my external, and I cannot delete a single one of them or even see their properties, just keeps telling me I need "Permissions from everyone to delete" (im using Admin account btw)

    Starting to think Gamepass was a bad idea... at this rate Ill have to format all my drives Gamepass taking over my hardrives :(

    :)
     
    Otomon, Nov 4, 2021
    #1
  2. Jesse E' Win User

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives

    I don't know why it does that, but it doesn't happen often
  3. Otomon Win User

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives

    Thank you so much! You pretty much answered all my questions and put my mind at ease ^_^
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives

    Hi

    The Delivery optimization files are generally related to Windows updates and Windows Store Apps. These are temporary files and can be safely deleted from the Windows Disk Clean-Up tool.

    To make full use of Game-Pass and the Windows Store, your drive needs to be NTFS, it won't work fully with exFAT.

    All Windows 10 games and Apps from the Windows Store (including games from PC Game Pass) install to secure encrypted folder called 'WindowsApps'. On the C:\ drive the WindowsApps folder is located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. But to see this folder you'll need to unhide it.



    For any other drive, the WindowsApps folder can be found in the root directory along with two other folders 'WpSystem' and ‘WUDownloadCache’. So, for example, if your drive is D:\ it will be located in D:\WindowsApps. Unlike its namesake in the C:\ drive this folder is not hidden on other drives, but it is still encrypted and protected.

    Even with an admin account these files are encrypted, taking ownership of these folders won't change anything either. It is possible to delete this folder manually, here is a guide

    You should be able to delete games in these encrypted folders from either the Game Pass or from Windows Settings > Apps and Features. Deleting the folder should only be done as a last resort, or if your drive came from a different PC.
  5. Jesse E' Win User

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives

    Hello Otomon, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

    For your C drive, check:

    windows > serviceprofiles > networkservice > appdata > local>microsoft > windows > deliveryoptimisation > cache > it should lead you to a folder, the size of which exactly matches the amount of storage you are missing.
  6. Otomon Win User

    Gamepass taking over my hardrives

    Thank you! Not sure why it would store such useless files... I get that it needs them to install but why do we have to manually delete?
Thema:

Gamepass taking over my hardrives

Loading...
  1. Gamepass taking over my hardrives - Similar Threads - Gamepass taking hardrives

  2. Renewed gamepass and all xbox 360 games i own and got with gamepass are unplayable

    in XboX Insiders
    Renewed gamepass and all xbox 360 games i own and got with gamepass are unplayable: Anyone who can help please do so. I own around 260 360 games and theres 12 360 games from gamepass. I get the error code 0x87e10bef. I troubleshooted and shutdown the console, i uninstalled and...
  3. Outer World's 2 bug on XBOX Gamepass ... cloud gaming via Samsung tv

    in XboX Insiders
    Outer World's 2 bug on XBOX Gamepass ... cloud gaming via Samsung tv: Im encountering a bug on "Outer World 2". The bug is reported fixed via a patch. However, the bug is still on the clod/gamepass version. Specifically, the game depends on adding character...
  4. Can xbox gamepass be available in Nigeria ?

    in XboX Insiders
    Can xbox gamepass be available in Nigeria ?: My microsoft account already supports my region but why cant have gamepass in that region as well this is more of a suggestion if its possible to make it available in nigeria cause sometimes...
  5. please make it where bought online games dont need gamepass

    in XboX Insiders
    please make it where bought online games dont need gamepass: okay so i bought red dead redemption online and i was so happy to try it but when it finally downloaded it told me i need gamepass it seems unfair to me that we need gamepass for a already online...
  6. I Can't download The Saboteur from the gamepass library

    in XboX Insiders
    I Can't download The Saboteur from the gamepass library: I really wanted to play the saboteur but I could not because gamepass can't download it is there a solution or is this game just unplayable in 2026 submitted by /u/Cautious-Piano-9739 [link]...
  7. microsoft are taking 2 payments per month for my 1 gamepass subscription!

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    microsoft are taking 2 payments per month for my 1 gamepass subscription!: thats all. getting ripped off and cant contact a human. you rang me and hung up cf2cd2d1-b522-4fdd-be87-5f52ce24bc8d
  8. When i try to sign in with gmail it takes me to my old hotmail that i dont use for gamepass

    in XBoX Accessibility
    When i try to sign in with gmail it takes me to my old hotmail that i dont use for gamepass: Hi i recently changed my pc and when i was setting it up it merged my Gmail and Hotmail and now i can't access my main game pass account and it takes me to my 2018 game pass account which I don't...
  9. Installed Gamepass games on PC taking forever to launch (not launching)

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Installed Gamepass games on PC taking forever to launch (not launching): Gamepass games that I installed on my laptop aren't getting past launch loading screen. Left one loading for 15 minutes and the game didn't launch. Using 2019 Macbook Pro running Windows 11 via...
  10. Why does gamepass take forever to start a download?

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does gamepass take forever to start a download?: So as the title says, I want to know why Game pass takes so long to actually start downloading a game. Once it has started its fine but it can take up to an hour, sometimes longer for it to...