Game sound not playing through one controller, voice chat works

Discus and support Game sound not playing through one controller, voice chat works in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello! I have an Xbox series x and two Microsoft controllers. I have a 3.5 audio jack headset with mic that works on my black controller for all audio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by tallguy2682, Jul 31, 2022.

1. tallguy2682
    tallguy2682 Guest

Hello! I have an Xbox series x and two Microsoft controllers. I have a 3.5 audio jack headset with mic that works on my black controller for all audio and voice chat. The same headset when plugged into my red controller only works for party chat (both sound and mic) and when in a game there is no sound. I have tried other headsets with this red controller and they do not work either. It does not appear to be a audio jack hardware issue as the party chat works fine for both sound and mic usage. Are there settings specific to a single controller that would impact this?

I have checked the chat mixer and it's at 50%.

I needed a firmware update on the red controller and have done it.

I have tried ensuring that the headset is inserted all the way.

I have power cycled the Xbox and am not in a party when testing

:)

tallguy2682, Jul 31, 2022
  2. tallguy2682 Win User

Hi Lucas, no luck. Is there a way to reset the individual controller? The issue is specific to that controller. My black controller works fine with audio.

I am usually not a fan of generic reset this and restore that type solutions as they just mean we have no idea what's going on so ultimately just try restoring stuff. And these types of resets usually cause more harm that what the original issue was.
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, tallguy2682. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

I cannot think about any setting that could change just by connecting another controller. But we can try to figure out what is the culprit here. First, please try to power cycle your console just to clear its cache. Then, try to play using the "faulty" controller and check the Mixer options:

- Turn off your console and your router/modem.

- Unplug all the cables from both devices (power, HDMI, etc..) and wait 2 minutes.

- After 2 minutes, plug all the cables in again on your router/modem and wait for all the lights to show up.

​​​- Plug all the cables on your console and turn it on.

- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.

- Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Volume & audio output.

- Under Advanced, select Additional options, and then select Chat mixer.

- Check if any sound option level is low.

Please let me know how it goes.
  4. Lucas Lauer Win User

Thanks for trying. In this case, would you please try to factory reset your console?

Press the Xbox button > Settings > System > Console info > Reset this xbox > Reset and keep my games and apps. The "Reset and keep my games and apps" option will not make you lose your games, but you will need to sign in to your account again.
  5. tallguy2682 Win User

Anyone have an ideas? Headset has audio for party voices, but all in game audio and menu clicks do not work whne the headset is plugged into red controller. Sound works normally with the headset when plugged into black. What would be wrong with the red headset? The hardware seems to clearly work as the party voice chat works.... Very weird that only in game audio does not work. Is there a way to unpair the headset or some other type of reset anyone has heard of?
  6. Lucas Lauer Win User

The only controller reset is to turn off the controller, waiting a minute than turning it on again. Or you can try to rollback your controller firmware to the previous one, but I don't think this is the issue since the controller already had the previous firmware when the issue started.
Thema:

1. Game sound not playing through one controller, voice chat works - Similar Threads - Game sound playing

2. Does anyone else experience a weird "clicking" sound when playing Xbox 360 games while on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone else experience a weird "clicking" sound when playing Xbox 360 games while on...: Hey, i have been experiencing an odd clicking/crackling sound on my new Xbox Series X. games include Fallout New Vegas and Far Cry 2. The sound seems to stop if i switch to mono, but I'd like to...
  3. Whenever i play windows roblox the game freezes, but i can hear all the game sounds still,...

in XBoX on Windows
    Whenever i play windows roblox the game freezes, but i can hear all the game sounds still,...: I have been playing windows roblox on my computer, i was doing fine until my roblox began to freeze, not a single error message in sight. i could still hear the game sounds and that, but the...
  4. Poor sounds quality when playing Xbox game via App on Windows 11 using BT Headphones

in XBoX on Consoles
    Poor sounds quality when playing Xbox game via App on Windows 11 using BT Headphones: Once I enter game menu in both Halo Infinite and Aliens: Fireteam Elite, the sound becomes flat and barely hearable. It's like I was using $1 headphones. Disabling hands free setting for BT...
  5. Sound keeps cutting out only when playing games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Sound keeps cutting out only when playing games: I have an Xbox One that’s about 6 or 7 years old now and recently I’ve noticed after about 2 minutes of playing any game the sound cuts out. I’ve tried basic trouble shooting like changing the...
  6. My Xbox controller does not play game sounds and Xbox navigation sounds, but sounds from...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox controller does not play game sounds and Xbox navigation sounds, but sounds from...: Before you say anything, I've probably done every single troubleshooting step you can think of. I need a real fix. This only happens to one of my Xbox controllers, so the culprit is this...
  7. Beta Ring - The sound of character speeches in some games and apps doesn't play

in XboX Insiders
    Beta Ring - The sound of character speeches in some games and apps doesn't play: A few days ago, I was watching some titles on Prime Video and I noticed that the lines were muted. I thought it was an error by Prime Video itself, but then this same error occurred with two...
  8. My xbox series s is making a clicking sound when I play a game is this normal?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series s is making a clicking sound when I play a game is this normal?: When I start up a game my Xbox starts making this loud clicking sound I think it's the fan but when I looked a other peoples Xbox on youtube it was not making the sound so is this normal or should...
  9. My xbox has no sound it only has sound when i play game pass games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox has no sound it only has sound when i play game pass games: my Xbox Series S was working fine yesterday and then today i get on and there is no sound i tried to fix it but nothing. So i went into a game pass game and it worked, the game and dashboard had...
  10. my xbox series s, won’t play game sound. And by that I mean it will play system audio, like...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox series s, won’t play game sound. And by that I mean it will play system audio, like...: brand new series s. audio on home screen works (button click sounds and such) when a game is started no audio from tv. seems to be sporadic. no game audio for halo or starwars battlefront, but...