Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages)

Discus and support Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I just replaced an old HDD with a SSD and Gamepass PC has install issues on the newly added drive. Some games install correctly, some throw an... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by mx2k2, Jul 6, 2022.

1. mx2k2
    mx2k2 Guest

Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages)

Hello,

I just replaced an old HDD with a SSD and Gamepass PC has install issues on the newly added drive. Some games install correctly, some throw an error message.

I have 2 Gaming SSDs (Drive G: and E:, where E: is the newly added SSD)and will show the problem with screenshots and the game Yakuza 3 as an example. As you can see it is properly installed on G:.

Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages) [​IMG]

Wanna move it to E: (which is the SSD that replaced the old HDD.

Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages) [​IMG]

So far, it looks ok.

But no, at 100% an error occurs. Other games can be installed with no problem on E:, some not, as the next screenshot will show. The error message is related to window update according to other posts, but I checked that all my Windows and Store apps are at the latest version.

And finally, marked in yellow, is what is Yakuza 3 looks in E:\Xbox Games after the the move operation that produced the above error message. The folder has the full game size but is somehow encrypted. When I click the "Cancel Move" button next to the error in screen above, the below yellow marked folder stays and has to be deleted manually, which is a mayor annoyance.

Please advise what may be the cause of that behavior (any log files I could watch?) and possible fixes? I read through the FAQs already, no solution covers my specific problem.

So in summary, after replacing E:\Xbox Games (HDD) with E:\Xbox Games (SSD) only some games are installable there. Like Dead Cells or Recompile in my example, but not Yakuza 3 (or 5). For reasons unknown to me, Xbox app seems to have noticed that the old HDD is now a different disk and is acting up because of that change.

:)

mx2k2, Jul 6, 2022
  2. mx2k2 Win User

Exactly, several (some) games can be directly installed to drive E:, others cannot.

Like Dead Cells and Recompile were downloaded and installed directly to E: without any hassle for testing. They are also properly playable from there.

I testes Psychonauts 2 next (which was also already installed on G:), move to E: fails with the error message, uninstall / redownload to E: also fails with the same message. Download it to G: again, installs with no problem or any error message.

As with Yakuza, I can uninstall it and reinstall to G: as often as I want with no error. Moving to E: or reinstalling to E: results in the error message.

Basically, the App is able to copy the game contents encoded (like above windows explorer folder screenshot), but then has problems renaming the folder to the games name and make it playable.

There are 0 errors when I try to install anything on the unchanged G: drive. The issue also didn't exist when E:\Xbox Games was still on the HDD. At the first start of Xbox App after the drive change also created the (apparently) Xbox App specific folders on E: (SSD) automatically, like "ProgramFiles->ModifyableWindowsApps", "WpSystem" and "WindowsApps" where only SYSTEM user has access to.

I am running on Win 10 (21H2)

Update: Tested more games. Octopath Traveler move G: to E: ... Error, Curse of the Dead Gods fresh install on E:, working, no erro. Seems it's game dependent, too. Very confusing.
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

That's really odd. Usually you are not able to install any game at all on a specific drive/partition. Just for testing purposes, are you able to create another partition on this SSD (like F: or any letter at all) and see if a game you are having error trying to install it on E: are able to be installed on the new partition?

- Press Windows + E to open the File explorer.

- Right-click This PC and select Manage.

- Open Disk Management.

- Select the disk from which you want to make a partition (E:).

- Right-click the Unpartitioned space in the bottom pane and select New Simple Volume.

- Enter the size and click next, and you are done.

Let me know how it goes, please.
  4. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, mx2k2. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

So just to confirm, not only Yakuza 3 (which you are trying to move), but also games that you are trying to install (not move) directly on the E: drive are showing you the 0x80070057 error code? And some games can actually be installed there, others can't?

Are you running Windows 10 or 11?

Waiting for your kind reply so we can start troubleshooting it.
  5. Lucas Lauer Win User

If you want to reinstall the gaming services I can give you step by step, but I believe you probably know that.

Maybe the game license is still tied to the old HDD. Maybe registry entries are corrupted because you installed the games on the old HDD. As you mentioned, the Xbox App is a little tricky.

You can try to make sure your account has permissions to the XboxGames folder. But I don't think it is the real issue here since games that were never installed could be installed just fine.
  6. mx2k2 Win User

Creating a new partition on the disk is currently not an option sadly.

For the purpose to test another drive letter, I added C: drive in the Xbox Gamepass App as a game library folder.

So with using C:\Xbox Games folder for installation there are no problems at all either (except no space for larger games so I moved Yakuza 3 forth and back from G: to C: and vice versa).

Then I connected the previously working HDD via USB (to get Drive F:) and since the .GamingRoot files still exists on it, it was instantly shown as a library folder in Xbox App without further ado. However, as with E:, the HDD under F: now shows the same behavior as its SSD replacement (Error after finising download).

I also checked what's happening when changing the library folder location on E: within the Xbox App, from E:\Xbox Games to E:\Testgames, same erroneous behavior.

The new SSD is fine, the competition like Steam, Gog, Epic, Battle.net whatever simply accepted the new drive and all games run fine, so can't be an issue with the SSD.

It seems (requires further testing, still feels a bit subjective at the moment) that mostly games are affected, which are currently installed (moving) or were recently installed on E:\Xbox Games (I uninstalled all of them before changing the discs). Games that were never installed before on my system apparently install on E:\ without error. Gotta check this with more than the 5 or so I tested so far to get a better opinion.

Maybe I really have to reset/reinstall the Xbox App and gaming services via Powershell, but I'll leave that as a last resort because it caused all sorts of other issues in the past when I had to do it once to revive Gamepass when it broke down doing nothing at all (as you mentioned is what it usually does, works fine or not at all).

I'll think I'll have to monitor the situation further and knowing the Gamepass app, it can have all sorts of weird hiccups that sometimes fix themselves after a few more reboots, Gaming Services/Xbox App and/or Windows updates.

But if anyone has any more tips and tricks in the meantime I'd be happy to hear them. Maybe something needs a little fix via regedit
Thema:

1. Game Pass PC install issues after replacing a HDD with SSD (Gives 0x cryptic error messages) - Similar Threads - Game Pass install

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. How to stop getting error 8x80190193 when installing game pass games on pc

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to stop getting error 8x80190193 when installing game pass games on pc: Getting this error when trying to install game pass games and only game pass games on my computer. I have tried rebooting and resetting caches. This error happens on both microsoft store and xbox...
  4. Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass: Hello, I can't seem to install any Ubisoft game on the Xbox pc app only three dots come up on the install button. I've tried to Uninstall other apps/games but that hasn't worked please help me....
  5. Xbox Game Pass game install button shows sad face. HELP!!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass game install button shows sad face. HELP!!: Cant install Assassins Creed Valhalla which is available as part of XBox Game Pass. Install button just shows a sad face. I have tried resetting the Xbox app and Store app. I have tried myriad of...
  6. Assassin's creed Valhalla just added to a game pass. But when I try to Install a game on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Assassin's creed Valhalla just added to a game pass. But when I try to Install a game on...: Assassin's creed Valhalla just added to a game pass. But when I try to Install a game on a Xbox one x it does not show install option. it's show buy ubisoft+ subscription....
  7. Problem with the installation of a new game on xbox game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem with the installation of a new game on xbox game pass: Hi today they add Assassins Creed Valhalla on game pass so i want to play it on my Pc, but when i try to install it i got a sad face, and i dont know what to do, any idea of what is happening?...
  8. How do i install a game I own instead of the Game Pass version?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do i install a game I own instead of the Game Pass version?: I bought the Conan Complete Edition and when I try to install it Game Pass installs the Game Pass version of the base game along with my DLCs that are included with the complete edition. I've...
  9. Where can I get help with Xbox Game Pass PC install errors?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Where can I get help with Xbox Game Pass PC install errors?: I am having problems installing PC Game Pass older games on Windows 11 especially EA Games titles. Anyone able to help me find solutions for specific games? Some are: Medal of Honor Airborne &...
  10. Can’t install rainbow six siege on Xbox one S despite having the game pass corr

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can’t install rainbow six siege on Xbox one S despite having the game pass corr: It’s my understanding that Xbox game pass core includes rainbow six siege. This is the only reason I bought the game pass. However, when I go to install it I’m only give the option to buy game...