Free GamerTag Changes and Automatically Assigned Numbers

Discus and support Free GamerTag Changes and Automatically Assigned Numbers in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; My experience with the gamertag system has been very convoluted and left me unable to change my gamertag to what I initially pick. Back in 2019, when... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by SpaceFauna, Nov 17, 2021.

1. SpaceFauna
    SpaceFauna Guest

My experience with the gamertag system has been very convoluted and left me unable to change my gamertag to what I initially pick. Back in 2019, when the MCC came out, I made an account, and was assigned a name randomly and then changed it to in-game. It then assigned numbers to the end with no discernible way to have prevented that or without mentioning the tag was already taken.

My first problem with this, is that my "free" tag change was used changing the automatically assigned tag. The second, when I went to change the gamertag recently, it wouldn't allow me to change from 3949 to just because "It was already my tag." I saw no way out of this without paying to have my gamertag changed twice. If that would have even worked.

I then resigned myself to making a new Microsoft account in browser and despite having the use my free tag change to change to from the automatically assigned one. I was satisfied until I realized that I now have no access to any of my content or stats.

At this point I decided to get in touch with xbox support and upon looking at both accounts, I was informed that even if I changed the tag () on the newest Microsoft account, it would be on a list of reserved gamertags for the foreseeable future. Resigning myself to not getting the user name I've come to identify with over the last 4 years, I decide I would settle for adding what I want to end of but now I'm left having to spend $10 to fix the aesthetic nightmare, not even being able to get the one I originally asked for.

This seems like a horribly designed system. You really don't get a free gamertag change since it assigns them automatically and you can't remove the numbers at the end of your tag, despite the non-numbered version being available without paying twice. Then if you decide to make a new account you lose all your content and stats. The only way I could have seen to prevent this is if I did everything in the browser initially instead of in-game, back then but that still would have had to use my free change. Another issue I have stumbled upon now looking into how things work currently. When you make a new Microsoft account in The MCC(id imagine in other games as well), you CAN pick your initial gamertag AND then change your gamertag for free. There are some very obvious flaws in how accounts work between Microsoft and Xbox Live.

Thank you support for informing me about what they can and can't do, Michael(i think that was his name) was very helpful. I'd like to hear back any microsoft reps about this issue and if there are any plans to fix this system.

:)

SpaceFauna, Nov 17, 2021
  2. SpaceFauna Win User

Maybe the reason they have to charge is because they [mod removed] up integrating the two systems so royally that there is no way to automate the process and they have to pay the intern something for all the trouble they have to go through to change it. I jest, but yeah I feel you on the deadname [mod removed]. They charge because they can.
  3. Farscape247 Win User

epic, steam, gog, indi gala, origin, ubisoft, call of duty, bungie, bethesda, rockstar and many many many more are free or time locked to change.

yes there are lots that charge but there are an equal amount that don't.
  4. ngocphi Win User

Hate to BURST YOIR bubble but namechanges are mostly pay per for privilege

There are onky 2 exceptions epic and steam and nintendo

Mist games won't allow you without charge.also spacefauna yes you can use the name but as common sense states since its a commonly spelled name it's most likely already taken

Mmorpgs and multiple gaming services like bnet arenanet f2p games even android games all charge or have a limitation system

And yes it IS TAKEN

so no regardless of any attempt to change your name I don't think you are fully reading the msg

It's is saying you can use the name and here are the 4 hashtag numbers attached to your name and no you can't remove it because you will only be given another set of hashtags because the other person

Best bet come up with a unique spelling

Names are all available but you will be issued a hashtag to make you unique if your name is taken

And it does tell you ehat your name looks like with the hashtag Before you click confirm
  5. SpaceFauna Win User

You didn't read or understand what I typed

"I then resigned myself to making a new Microsoft account in browser and despite having the use my free tag change to change to from the automatically assigned one. I was satisfied until I realized that I now have no access to any of my content or stats."

I own , it is mine, it is completely original.
    Regardless the system [mod removed]if the original name was no longer in use and was dropped off the reserved list of names, no one with the name currently could claim because the system will tell them that "it was already their tag"
  6. Lord Faru Win User

Feeling this with you. I'm so sick of everything Microsoft has been pulling. Not to mention the inherently transphobic nature of having to pay for a namechange if you don't want to be deadnamed when something as basic as that should be free. If they're worried about something, put a limit on gametag changes, but no.

Don't even get me started on these stupid numbers. Leave it to Microsoft to make everything as convoluted as possible while having 0 accessibility.
Thema:

1. Free GamerTag Changes and Automatically Assigned Numbers - Similar Threads - Free GamerTag Changes

2. Hiya can I change my gamertag for free this once as i didn't choose my it coz I've just...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hiya can I change my gamertag for free this once as i didn't choose my it coz I've just...: Hiya can I change my gamertag for free this once as i didn't choose it coz I've just only brought this account 4255addd-2661-4f2e-88ce-8eed063fdf7f
  3. free gamertag change

in XBoX Accessibility
    free gamertag change: I was told that i Can change my gamertag first time for free. I Haven't ever changed my GT, and I either cant find the option to change it free, or i Don't get one. Please help, thank you,” we...
  4. I cannot change my gamertag for free, even though I have never changed it before

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot change my gamertag for free, even though I have never changed it before: Hello! I am trying to change my gamertag on xbox, and I have never done so before. It asks me to pay 9.99 to change it, even though on the website it says that the first change is free. How can I...
  5. How do i change gamertag back to how it was for free

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do i change gamertag back to how it was for free: My brother changed my gamertag to something cringy on Xbox, and I can't get it back to the old gamertag, what do I do? My old one was Itspapersteve. b1164177-dfcc-4770-b03e-61aebfac6528
  6. Unable to get free Gamertag change

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to get free Gamertag change: Was told that “I updated my gamer tag” from 15 years ago. 15years that went unused by the way and that was where I used my 1 free gamer tag change. Although my old tag was not mentioned during...
  7. Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.: Hello I’m trying to change my gamertag for the first time, apparently you can do this once for free. When I select my new name and confirm that I am told it’ll cost me £7.99 Not sure why, I’ve...
  8. If i changed my gamertag once, can i change it back to the original one for free or do I...

in XBoX Accessibility
    If i changed my gamertag once, can i change it back to the original one for free or do I...: Hello. I was wondering if you had to pay the $10 fee to change your gamertag back to the original one that I started with. Please let me know if you have an answer....
  9. Why Can’t Change my Xbox Gamertag for Free?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why Can’t Change my Xbox Gamertag for Free?: So i wanted to change my Xbox Gamertag and i looked it up and many people are saying i can Change it for Free for the First time, i never Changed my Gamertag since i Created the Account but it...
  10. Can you change your gamertag for free the second time if you are a live gold member? Is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you change your gamertag for free the second time if you are a live gold member? Is...: I changed my gamertag for free once and I don't like it. (This is on a different account. I am just using this one for the form.) 2a2f7bbf-a2ac-49fd-9d0f-0249cf741282