Fortnite - linking an existing Epic account to a new XBOX Live account

Discus and support Fortnite - linking an existing Epic account to a new XBOX Live account in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hey, I've had an XBOX Live account for a number of years. My son set up a Fortnite account and used my Live account to play. He grew up. He wanted... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Wickens77, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Wickens77
    Wickens77 Guest

Hey,

I've had an XBOX Live account for a number of years. My son set up a Fortnite account and used my Live account to play. He grew up. He wanted his own live account. He got one.

We went through the process of un-linking the Epic Account from my Live account and then linked it to his new Live Account. All good.

He can join parties I set up. I can join parties he sets up.

He can't join parties from anyone else.

His friends will send an invite. He'll accept. No error, just never able to join.

He will send an invite. They will join. No error, nothing happens.

I've contacted Epic Games and stated the following (from my sons perspective):

"I've recently set up my own XBOX Live account named "###". I previously had my Epic account linked to my fathers live account which was named "###". I was able to successfully change the link for my
    "###" Epic account over to my new "###" live account. However, since that switch, whenever friends invite me or I invite them, the invite appears to go through and there is no error displayed but I'm never able to join them and they are not able to join me.
    Nothing happens - no error, no joining."

Their Epic
    reply:

"Hello xxx,

Thanks for contacting Epic Games Player Support. 

Please contact Xbox Support for assistance with this issue.

You should be able to find their contact and support information here:

https://support.xbox.com

Thank you!"

I'm not sure that's accurate. Has anyone else experienced this. I briefly thought of trying to contact MS support but it brought back bad memories of time I'll never get back. So I figured I may get
    better traction here. From some poor soul he's experienced the same.

:)

Wickens77, Nov 19, 2018
  2. XBF Amber M
    XBF Amber M Guest
    Account Link Issues - EPIC / XBOX Live mixed up ?

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for reaching out to us! When it comes to linking your Xbox Account (GamerTag) to your Fortnite account (Epic Games account), each GamerTag/profile can only link to one Fortnite account. If you are able to sign into Fortnite on your device with your
    son's Xbox account and his Epic account and view his progress then that is normal. However, if you'd like to sign into your Xbox account on Fortnite, it would need to correspond with the Epic games account associated with your GamerTag.

If your own GamerTag (Xbox profile) is not linking up with your Epic Games account, then you would need to

contact Epic Games concerning your Fortnite account
    directly for assistance in getting those two accounts to link. Just be sure you know the different account log in emails for their site specific to each of you.

Hope this helps out!

XBF Amber M, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Xbox one and epic game user

Hi TattyATcool,

I found a link that may help you. Fortnite

Ecko-6B2570FA-4302-4D26-BA62-0C19B2C39451, Nov 19, 2018
  4. choppyseize
    choppyseize Guest

choppyseize, Nov 19, 2018
  5. XBF Erick C
    XBF Erick C Guest
    Hey there Wickens,

Sorry to hear you are running into this problem. This could be related to your sons

Xbox privacy and online safety settings
    . You can always follow the support article to get to the privacy and online safety settings, once in the settings you will want to make sure that the options his communications are set to allow.

I hope this helps!

XBF Erick C, Nov 19, 2018
  6. Wickens77
    Wickens77 Guest
    Thanks for the reply.

We were aware of that before proceeding but were confident (after research) that no Epic Account progress would be loss.

That turned out to be the case. All progress was good. All purchases and skins still there. Just can't join (certain friends) parties and they can't join his.

Once again, no errors stating why.

Wickens77, Nov 19, 2018
  7. Wickens77
    Wickens77 Guest
    Yes, we thought that may be the case as well.

So, I removed all privacy restrictions. That didn't work.

I then removed him from the "Family" so that I could set his account up as an Adult account.

Still no luck.

Wickens77, Nov 19, 2018
  8. XBF Brad A
    XBF Brad A Guest

Hello Wickens,

Once a profile is set to a child account if he is under 18 there is no way to make it an adult account. You can change the birthdate on account website, but the birthdate on Xbox site is unchangeable, you cant even view the date.

Have you tried changing the privacy settings on the console and websites? I will list them here.

1. Microsoft account website sign in on the website then go to privacy, being a child account will need to do so on parent account.
    2. Xbox website sign in and do same as above.
    If the child is under the age of 13 and trying to enable cross play or his friends are on different platforms, there is a known issue for this. Which may be why you are not getting error or anything. Microsoft is implementing a setting for parents to enable
    cross play but it is unfortunately not finished yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brad

XBF Brad A, Nov 20, 2018
  9. Wickens77
    Wickens77 Guest
    Hi,

Yeah, we changed privacy settings on both, so there are no restrictions currently. As mentioned, we dropped him from the "Family" and were able to change him to an "Adult" account (it shows as such on the MS Privacy Page).

I'm guessing though, given the information regarding the actual birth date MS stores (why do they let you change it then?), that the issue is related to his age. He's 12, turning 13 on Dec 1. He's playing on an XBOX One and his friends are on PC's.

Wickens77, Nov 20, 2018
  10. XBF Diego M
    XBF Diego M Guest
    Hi Wickens,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue preventing your son from joining parties and vice versa. I'd be happy to provide some information.

The problem lies in your son trying to cross-platform on his account, which is currently a feature that is not allowed on Xbox Live for accounts under the age of 13. Microsoft is very close to implementing a parental control feature on the parent account
    to allow cross-play on other platforms on the child account. This feature is intended to comply with minor privacy laws around the world so that everyone can cross-play fairly without infringing on any of those rules.

The feature was supposed to be implemented in the recent November update but the engineering team found it wasn't working as intended yet so they delayed it a little. Until then, you would need to wait until Dec 1. when your son turns 13, where his account
    will graduate from a child account to a teen account and he will then be able to select cross-play on his own found in the in-game settings.

XBF Diego M, Nov 6, 2018
  11. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Epic Games Fortnite account issue with xbox

Epic Games recommends creating a new Epic account for each platform from which you play: PC, Xbox, and Playstation. When you played on console, Fortnite created a temporary Epic account for you based on your Xbox Live or PSN
    credentials, and signing in to the
    Fortnite Website
    with your XBL/PSN credentials will allow you to promote it to a full Epic account.

Do not use the credentials for any existing Epic account. If you get an "account already linked" error message, you are most likely trying to use an email address or display name that is already in use.

If you have previously linked an Epic account to multiple platforms, you will want to contact Epic Support to properly move your linked accounts over without deleting your progress.

Once you've created your new Epic account (or promoted your console account to a full Epic account), you can return to Fortnite Scout and view your console stats with your new Epic username.
  12. M3tal Daz3 Win User

QUE HAGO? [Translation - WHAT DO I DO?]

From Epic Games' Support Center:
    **For Xbox Players** Due to limitations of our systems, linking your Xbox and Epic accounts can prevent you from being able to play Fortnite Save the World or Battle Royale on any other platforms. For this reason, we recommend linking your Xbox Live Gamertag to one Epic Account, while playing on PC using a second Epic Account.
    STEP 1: Visit the
    Fortnite Website

STEP 2: If you're already logged into an account, SIGN OUT.

STEP 3: Click the user icon at the top right of the page and select "Xbox."

STEP 4: Log in using your **Xbox Live credentials.** When you played on console, Epic created a temporary epic account for you based on your Xbox Live credentials, and signing in will allow you to promote
    it to a full Epic account. (Do not use the credentials for any existing Epic account.)

STEP 5: Once logged in, you will be asked to Register. In order to link the account, you will need to use an Email Address *and* Display Name that are NOT being used on another Epic account. (If you get
    an "account already linked" error message, you are most likely trying to use an email address or display name that is already in use.)

Bear in mind that all of your save data is tied to your Epic account that your Xbox name is linked to.

Once you've created your new Epic account (or promoted your console account to a full Epic account), you can return to Fortnite Scout and view your console stats with your new Epic username.
  13. issayaValverde Win User

How can i transfer skins from one account to another account
  14. XBF Brad A Win User

Hello Wickens,

Once a profile is set to a child account if he is under 18 there is no way to make it an adult account. You can change the birthdate on account website, but the birthdate on Xbox site is unchangeable, you cant even view the date.

Have you tried changing the privacy settings on the console and websites? I will list them here.

1. Microsoft account website sign in on the website then go to privacy, being a child account will need to do so on parent account.
    2. Xbox website sign in and do same as above.
    If the child is under the age of 13 and trying to enable cross play or his friends are on different platforms, there is a known issue for this. Which may be why you are not getting error or anything. Microsoft is implementing a setting for parents to enable
    cross play but it is unfortunately not finished yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brad
  15. Wickens77 Win User

Thanks for the reply.

We were aware of that before proceeding but were confident (after research) that no Epic Account progress would be loss.

That turned out to be the case. All progress was good. All purchases and skins still there. Just can't join (certain friends) parties and they can't join his.

Once again, no errors stating why.
Thema:

1. Fortnite - linking an existing Epic account to a new XBOX Live account - Similar Threads - Fortnite linking existing

2. how to link my Fortnite account to my xbox series S if it says it is associated with...

in XBoX Accessibility
    how to link my Fortnite account to my xbox series S if it says it is associated with...: did what we were told to link my account but it says it is associated with another account when the account is brand new . 13ebebc6-f160-419d-b319-818eafe5d646
  3. How do I know which epic games account is linked to my Fortnite account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I know which epic games account is linked to my Fortnite account?: I'm trying to link my fortnite account to my new ps5 and I can't find which account is linked to my fortnite account on my xbox. It's the same way for Rocket League. I accidentally made a whole...
  4. I recently switched my son over to using his own account for Fortnite. I was trying to link...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I recently switched my son over to using his own account for Fortnite. I was trying to link...: I am working on trying to add vbucks to my sons Fortnite account however it was pointing to my gamer tag. In an effort to link it to his gamer tag, I am running into problems. It is not allowing...
  5. I have lost my Fortnite account after linking it with Epic Games, and I don't know how to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have lost my Fortnite account after linking it with Epic Games, and I don't know how to...: What I believe has happened is that when I linked my account with Epic Games it had created a new account to replace my old account. I had tried to get my old account by unlinking from Epic Games...
  6. So I installed fortnite on my xbox and it's linked to a old acc but idk how to unlink it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    So I installed fortnite on my xbox and it's linked to a old acc but idk how to unlink it...: So I installed fortnite on my xbox and it's linked to a old acc but idk how to unlink it idk what email it's on. Is there a way to like unlink it then put my email and link my new acc...
  7. when i linked my epic acc to my xbox account on fortnite it reset all of my progression and...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    when i linked my epic acc to my xbox account on fortnite it reset all of my progression and...: when i linked my epic acc to my xbox account on fortnite it reset all of my progression and skins that i had spent money on and i really want all of it back but idk what to do...
  8. Linked accounts in fortnite

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Linked accounts in fortnite: My younger son just got a new xbox and is trying to long into his fortnite account. He has been playing on his switch before now. He did get accidentally logged into my other sons xbox at one...
  9. My xbox account is somehow linked to an Epic/Fortnite account for which I don't know the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My xbox account is somehow linked to an Epic/Fortnite account for which I don't know the...: When my 10 yr old first started playing Fortnite, he somehow wound up with an Epic screen name, I guess it is now linked to the xbox account. But he insists he never set it up as a "full" account...
  10. Is it possible to link my Epic Games account to Fortnite after skipping it during initial...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it possible to link my Epic Games account to Fortnite after skipping it during initial...: When I first played Fortnite on Xbox Cloud Gaming, I accidentally skipped linking my Epic Games account. Is there a way I could still link it anyway, or reset the game progress on Xbox Cloud...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. If you would like to relink your Xbox Live account sign in using your previously linked account credentials for the following Xbox Live display name: (ProvenDaisy3711).

2. Xbox Live account and not a new Xbox Live account. If you would like to relink your Xbox Live account sign in using your previously linked account credentials for the following Xbox Live display name: (Disinvited).

3. Xbox Live account and not a new Xbox Live account. If you would like to relink your Xbox Live account sign in using your previously linked account credentials for the following Xbox Live display name: (DiehardRocket42).how do i change it back

4. if you would like to relink your xbox live account sign in using your previously linked account credentials for the following xbox live display name:,
  5. linking epic and xbox accounts