Flight Simulator rudder does not work correctly on XBox Series S with XBox controller

Discus and support Flight Simulator rudder does not work correctly on XBox Series S with XBox controller in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I just bought an XBox Series S to use Flight Simulator. I am both a full scale and radio control pilot. I'm trying to configure the XBox... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by WadeH237, Nov 30, 2021.

1. WadeH237
    WadeH237 Guest

Flight Simulator rudder does not work correctly on XBox Series S with XBox controller

Hello,

I just bought an XBox Series S to use Flight Simulator. I am both a full scale and radio control pilot.

I'm trying to configure the XBox controller to work like a mode 2 radio control transmitter. That puts the rudder on the left stick and the elevator and ailerons on the right stick. Normally, throttle would also be on the left stick, but an actual R/C transmitter does not return the left stick to center for up/down when you let it go, but since the XBox sticks always return to center, I've left the throttle settings to the default buttons.

Anyway, the problem that I am having is that the rudder does respond to the left stick, but only when the stick is actually moving. If the stick stops moving, either at full deflection, or if I move it partially and hold it, the rudder slowly returns to center until movement is detected on the stick. At that point, the rudder snaps to the position that matches the stick, but again returns to center when the stick stops moving. That pretty much makes it impossible to fly the plane correctly.

Here are the things that I have tried:

• I've cleared out *all* controls that use the left stick in any way, except for the rudder.
    • I have tried setting "Rudder Axis" to the left stick left/right.
    • I have tried setting "Rudder Axis Left" to the left stick left and "Rudder Axis Right" to the left stick right.
    • I have tried setting "Rudder Left" and "Rudder Right" to the appropriate left stick settings (although it appears that "Rudder Left" and "Rudder Right", without "Axis" is meant for mapping the rudder to normal buttons).
    • I have searched the controller settings by name for anything that contains "rudder" and made sure that nothing is configured except the rudder settings that I am trying.
    • I have searched the controller settings by name for anything that contains "center" and made sure that nothing is configured.
    • I have searched for all settings mapped to any left stick setting and ensured that only my intended rudder mappings are set.
    To test the settings, switch the camera to external view while on the ground and actually watch the rudder movement. I have also checked the "gas gauge" display in the controller mapping screen. The "return to center" problem only happens with the airplane. The gas gauge display in the controller settings works as you would expect.

If I map the rudder back to the left and right triggers, then it works correctly. But I don't want to use the triggers for the rudder for a couple of reasons. First, neither full scale, nor radio control, airplanes allow you to step on both rudder pedals simultaneously (except for toe brakes). And second, I have lots of muscle memory built up to fly my radio control airplanes with rudder on the left stick. I don't want to retrain that muscle memory. Crashing an R/C airplane is lots more expensive than crashing the simulator...

:)

WadeH237, Nov 30, 2021
  2. andersonpassos Win User

How can I get the toe brakes to work on velocity one rudder pedals when using MSFS on the Xbox series S?

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good evening

you need to follow these steps:

Connect your Velocity One rudder pedals to your Xbox Series S console. Ensure that the pedals are connected properly.

Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator on your Xbox Series S console.

Navigate to the Options menu in the game and select Controls.

Choose the Rudder Pedals option from the drop-down menu at the top.

Click on the Toe Brake Axis option and set it to the desired control axis.

Save the changes and exit the Options menu.

Calibrate the rudder pedals by selecting the Calibrate option in the Controls menu.

Follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate the pedals, including the toe brakes.

Once the calibration is complete, you should be able to use the toe brakes on your Velocity One rudder pedals while playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox Series S.
  3. WadeH237 Win User

Thanks for the response!

I will do as you suggest. One small thing, though: It does prevent me from playing. If I cannot properly control the aircraft, I have no interest in playing.
  4. XBF - Dom Win User

Hey WadeH237,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue!

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like what you are trying to do isn't a control feature. I suggest visiting the Microsoft Flight Simulator support page and submitting a support request here: Submit a request – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

I believe that "I need help with something else", "I want to report a bug/a small glitch that DOESN'T prevent me from playing" or "I want to share my feedback or request a new feature" would be the best options to choose in the first drop-down menu displayed when submitting a request.
  5. XBF - Dom Win User

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. If you ever have any technical issues with Flight Simulator going forward, submitting a request on their support page will be your best solution.
  6. Msfs_player2022 Win User

Rudder problem

Hello, my console is an Xbox series s, I have tried to go in Msfs controls parameters to fix it and no, it only does it with Flight simulator 2020
Thema:

1. Flight Simulator rudder does not work correctly on XBox Series S with XBox controller - Similar Threads - Flight Simulator rudder

2. Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app: I recently bought "Microsoft Flight Simulator" on Amazon, with an activation key on the Microsoft Store, but cannot seem to get it to run. System details Windows 11, Version 23H2 (OS Build...
  3. Play flight simulator using joystick and thrust block

in XBoX Accessibility
    Play flight simulator using joystick and thrust block: Dear all, it is possible, to connect flight - specific hardware, e.g. a thrustmaster joystick and a thrustmaster thrust block, to the xbox for playing flight simulator? Thanks, Oli...
  4. Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11

in XBoX on Windows
    Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11: I have had the flight simulator premium deluxe 40th anniversary game since December 2023. It is installed on the xbox series x console and works fine. I installed it on Windows 10 with the Xbox...
  5. Installing MS Flight Simulator on Win 11 PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Installing MS Flight Simulator on Win 11 PC: Hi - I purchase a copy of MS Flight Simulator from CDKeys and redeemed it in Microsoft Store. I have tried to find how I install it with no success. I am completely new to XBox (App) on my PC and...
  6. How to Remove Keyboard from flight simulator settings when using Core Elite 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to Remove Keyboard from flight simulator settings when using Core Elite 2: I just purchased the xbox wireless controller Elite Core 2 to use with Flight Simulator on the Xbox series X. The issue I am having is that the controller has now added a keyboard as part of the...
  7. Flight simulator update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Flight simulator update: Please can someone help me I’ve bought the flight simulator for my son it downloaded in steam but now says needs an update it’s now taken 12 hours and only on 13 percent. Is this normal???...
  8. Is Microsoft flight simulator 40th anniversary the same as Microsoft flight simulator 2020?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is Microsoft flight simulator 40th anniversary the same as Microsoft flight simulator 2020?: Is Microsoft flight simulator 40th anniversary the same as Microsoft flight simulator 2020? 3294aa49-a061-4f1c-a6e1-16c755dd6ebd
  9. Microsoft Flight Simulator PC cannot login on new computer but plays fine on old computer

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft Flight Simulator PC cannot login on new computer but plays fine on old computer: I purchased MFS from Microsoft store on old PC. Works fine. Bought a new PC and tried to login and MFS does not show up. I have a copy of the digital ownership and it plays fine on old PC but...
  10. logitech g pro flight yoke system for Microsoft Flight Simulator rudder not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    logitech g pro flight yoke system for Microsoft Flight Simulator rudder not working: I recently purchased a logitech g pro flight yoke system for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Everything works fine expect for the rudder controls. The default is the c1 and c2 buttons. The game shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Rudder not firing back FS2020 Xbox

2. FS2020 xbox rudder not firing back

3. xbox series x flight simulator rudder pedals not working