flickering "rain" distortion

Discus and support flickering "rain" distortion in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I am currently having this problem with "Halo CE Anniversary" but have experienced it in other games (such as Gears). All the graphics are displayed... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ffpcs, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ffpcs
    ffpcs Guest

I am currently having this problem with "Halo CE Anniversary" but have experienced it in other games (such as Gears). All the graphics are displayed with interspersed "flickering rain" (at least that is how I can best describe it). I captured a short video,
    but I don't see a way to upload it here. It is way too distracting to enjoy the game play properly. I have two video cards in my Dell XPS all in one 2710 (yes, I know it is extremely old in both dog and computer years). I have tried assigning the game to the
    NVIDIA card and turning Antialiasing - FXAA on and that helped only somewhat. No other tweaks helped. For what it is worth, I used to have the same problem with Minecraft, but now I don't. I play that using the integrated Intel card, but that did not help
    with Halo. Any help greatly appreciated. The info on my video cards and system are included below for reference:

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_054B1028&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10

Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible

Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Adapter RAM (2,080,374,784) bytes

Installed Drivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll

Driver Version 10.18.10.4425

INF File oem33.inf (iIVBD_w10 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 2560 x 1440 x 59 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xF7400000-0xF77FFFFF

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF

I/O Port 0x0000F000-0x0000F03F

IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967291

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\IGDKMD64.SYS (10.18.10.4425, 3.62 MB (3,793,872 bytes), 5/12/2016 4:39 PM)

Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD2&SUBSYS_054B1028&REV_A1\4&1970A337&0&0008

Adapter Type GeForce GT 640M, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes

Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddi.inf_amd64_983ac22263497e27\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddi.inf_amd64_983ac22263497e27\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddi.inf_amd64_983ac22263497e27\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddi.inf_amd64_983ac22263497e27\nvldumdx.dll

Driver Version 25.21.14.2531

INF File oem11.inf (Section004 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries Not Available

Resolution Not Available

Bits/Pixel Not Available

Memory Address 0xF6000000-0xF6FFFFFF

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF

Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NVDDI.INF_AMD64_983AC22263497E27\NVLDDMKM.SYS (25.21.14.2531, 19.79 MB (20,747,736 bytes), 5/28/2019 5:27 PM)

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DELLXPS

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model XPS One 2710

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A14, 5/25/2018

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 1.04

BIOS Mode Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Product O3VTJ7

BaseBoard Version A00

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"

User Name

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 8.13 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 8.72 GB

Page File Space 2.86 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected,
    Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

ffpcs, Apr 22, 2020
  2. Dotchy Win User

Screen Distortion

And I've just noticed whilst writing the other thread that I'm getting small flickers of the same distortion on the xbox hub without a disc being in the drive and just the blu-ray player app in the main box just being idle, I'll try and record some of this
    as well but seams very unpredictable

Many Thanks

3. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

Screen Fix

You should also check out this other semi-general thread another user posted some time ago with a similar problem. Except in place grey image distortion their problem was blue image distortion.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...age-with/22cf2b81-7d20-41fc-85d5-4ffb95f54f77

Another good thing to consider and try would be by putting your TV on cable or some other video settings like hooking up a DVD/Blu-Ray player to the TV and see if you experience the grey image distortion in those media styles as well. If you do, consider
    editing you TV's picture settings manually by resetting things like brightness, sharpness, and saturation in your TV's settings.

There's also an Xbox Support display troubleshooter you may find handy if the other link and suggestion doesn't aid in solving the problem.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/console/display-troubleshooter
  4. Revive Society Win User

GTA 5 weather

It's very relative to the weather here in CA. Very Rarely we get Rain or stuff in the Inlands. If it rains, by golly it will rain. If it rains normally, it will be for a day and then go. Nevertheless.
  5. Hordie Win User

Xbox One image distortion (flickering image with blue lines)

HI shaye2k,

Sorry you're having issues with your video. When changing out HDMI cables did you change cables for both the Xbox going into the receiver and then the receiver going into the TV? I have seen from experience that HDMI cables are often the culprit for
    these issues. Also, as the Xbox is working with no issues with other devices we know that this issue does not lie with the Xbox itself. As such, I would check with the OEM of your receiver and see if there are any firmware updates and/or settings that could
    be interfering with the signal passing through from the Xbox to your television.
  6. shaye2k Win User

Xbox One image distortion (flickering image with blue lines)

Thanks for the reply. It turns out my 25ft HDMI cable going to from the projector to the receiver is to long for the Xbox one. I have a HDMI repeater that fixed the issue. Thanks for helping me find a fix.
Thema:

1. flickering "rain" distortion - Similar Threads - flickering rain distortion

2. xbox one x logo flickering when i open games

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox one x logo flickering when i open games: hallo! I have an xbox one x and recently i had a problem with the fan that made it stop suddenly. I fixed the problem immediately, and since then, when I try to start some games it crashes and the...
  3. (2402.240124-2200) gfx flickering audio crackle

in XboX Insiders
    (2402.240124-2200) gfx flickering audio crackle: Broken, destiny 2 unplayable as graphics issue, tears, flickers half of screen pulsating and controller disconnects and usb storage disconnects and game lockup crash sound. Don't worry it's not...
  4. Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games: There's a weird graphical issue I'm having when playing games through the Xbox app on Windows 11. When clicking or pressing any buttons in the game, the screen briefly flickers and shows the...
  5. Controller flickers between connected and disconnected every second on PC.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller flickers between connected and disconnected every second on PC.: As the title says, I'm having issues with my controller, as it switches between connected and disconnected every second. (I'm using Bluetooth for this). However, this only happens on my PC...
  6. Why is my TV screen flickering when my Xbox Series S is connected to it?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my TV screen flickering when my Xbox Series S is connected to it?: So I have a Skyworth TV (supposedly 4K but only supports up to 1080p) and I have my Xbox Series S connected to it. Recently the screen has started to flicker when the Xbox is connected to it, now...
  7. Xbox one X DVD screen flicker

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox one X DVD screen flicker: Hi there, I have this issue with each DVD I put into my Xbox one X. The screen flickers/flashes and then shows a static screen like a TV with no signal or whatever. The menu screen and music...
  8. Fortnite Xbox s buttons flicker and not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fortnite Xbox s buttons flicker and not working: Those issues are only for this game. I have tried other pads and all the same. Sometimes the ‘A’ button stops working. Especially on greeting screen on first load after I turn Xbox to power. If...
  9. Weird Flickering / RGB Disco / Color Flashing Happening in Particular Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Weird Flickering / RGB Disco / Color Flashing Happening in Particular Games: As the topic states. I’ve seen some other topics discussing similar things, but weren’t quite the same. I did try those solutions as well, but to no avail. Here are some clips of what I’m seeing...
  10. White flickering while gaming in HDR

in XboX Insiders
    White flickering while gaming in HDR: i got my new Denon X4800H yesterday, so i can get my xbox series x back on my AVR to have no more audio issues. The cable from AVR to TV is the orignial one. From my Xbox to AVR i have an HDMI 2.1...