First-time 360 user - Issue with ethernet connection to a Netgear router

Discus and support First-time 360 user - Issue with ethernet connection to a Netgear router in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi - I have an XBox 360 (manufactured 08/20/2008) and am attempting to connect with via ethernet (for the first time) to a Netgear WNR3500 v2 router.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by WeaklyCone11, Jan 1, 2014.

1. WeaklyCone11
    WeaklyCone11 Guest

Hi - I have an XBox 360 (manufactured 08/20/2008) and am attempting to connect with via ethernet (for the first time) to a Netgear WNR3500 v2 router. When testing the network connection (selecting 'wired' not wifi), the error message says "To use a wired
    connection, make sure you ethernet is connected to your console and a router, etc". I contacted my ISP and we disconnected the ethernet from the Xbox and tested it by connecting it to an Apple laptop (which had its Airport 'off'). The laptop did not connect
    to the internet, but my ISP's tech advised that she thought I should contact Microsoft about the issue (blame-shifting?) The ethernet cable is brand new and I have Comcast Cable for my internet connection (i am a designer by trade and send huge files via
    the internet - not that it matters). Any input on making this work is appreciated. I am thinking maybe the router is not compatible since some other models are not... thanks in advance.

:)

WeaklyCone11, Jan 1, 2014
  2. Jamesx82x
    Jamesx82x Guest
    How to Connect Internet Cable directly to Xbox 360

Need a bit more info here like do you have a modem or is your router a modem/router combo?

The router which provides your wifi needs to have ethernet ports to connect to your 360 or you need to bypass your router and connect direct to 360 as you said you tried.

If you have a modem you need to unplug it and plug it back in and make sure the 360 is set to a wired connection and not wireless still.

if the ethernet cable you have going into your router doesnt come from a modem but directly from a drop like how Verizon Fios is set up sometimes then you should just need to make sure 360 is set up for a wired connection and not wireless.

Your best bet is to buy an extra ethernet cable which it appears you dont have yet and go direct from router to 360 and not lose your wifi in the process by skipping the router. The cable is going to be under $10

Jamesx82x, Jan 1, 2014
  3. wiznerd420
    wiznerd420 Guest
    Can't connect to Live with this error code

Couldn't find anything about that status report. It happens from a Netgear 33 router bridged wireless connection via ethernet.. The pc receiving the wireless signal uses a rosewill adapter MODEL: RNX-N2LX. It happens in between the Xbox 360 and network.

wiznerd420, Jan 1, 2014
  4. PalZer0
    PalZer0 Guest

Hello WeaklyCone11.

-

Can you try another ethernet cable just to make sure that your cable isn't faulty? From what I can gather (given you've tested the same cable on two different devices), you may have a faulty ethernet cable.

-

You can buy ethernet cables from your local PC store.

PalZer0, Jan 1, 2014
  5. WeaklyCone11
    WeaklyCone11 Guest
    The cable works fine between other devices, and running another line is almost impossible. (I would have to cut it free and replace it by running another new 50 ft cable under my house - which is like a cave diving process under my 100 year old farmhouse.
    Again - the cable was new - I tested it on other devices before running it under the house, so I really do not think that is the problem but appreciate you recommending it. I hope you or anyone else has other ideas. Thanks!

WeaklyCone11, Jan 1, 2014
  6. JohnTheBot
    JohnTheBot Guest
    If the cable works, and the internet doesn't work on the mac either, it's either on your isp's end or you need to check your router. You can try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in and see if that helps.

JohnTheBot, Oct 31, 2018
  7. WeaklyCone11 Win User

The cable works fine between other devices, and running another line is almost impossible. (I would have to cut it free and replace it by running another new 50 ft cable under my house - which is like a cave diving process under my 100 year old farmhouse.
    Again - the cable was new - I tested it on other devices before running it under the house, so I really do not think that is the problem but appreciate you recommending it. I hope you or anyone else has other ideas. Thanks!
  8. JohnTheBot Win User

If the cable works, and the internet doesn't work on the mac either, it's either on your isp's end or you need to check your router. You can try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in and see if that helps.
  9. PalZer0 Win User

Hello WeaklyCone11.

-

Can you try another ethernet cable just to make sure that your cable isn't faulty? From what I can gather (given you've tested the same cable on two different devices), you may have a faulty ethernet cable.

-

You can buy ethernet cables from your local PC store.
  10. GMAN990 Win User

My NAT type is open but I still can't connect to some people?

Hi,

I can see a reply button ok ? I assume the Draytek is connect to your phone line and the Netgear is connected to the Draytek via an Ethernet cable and your Xbox into the Netgear?

Using two routers is certainly an issue, why do you need the netgear?
  11. taidara Win User

Can't Connect To Xbox Live

Where does the Ethernet cable, that goes from the WAN port of the Netgear router, connects to?
Thema:

1. First-time 360 user - Issue with ethernet connection to a Netgear router - Similar Threads - 360 user Issue

2. How do I link my xbox live account to a different user xbox 360

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I link my xbox live account to a different user xbox 360: My xbox live account is already linked to one user on the xbox but I have another one and I was wondering if I could move the xbox live account from one user to another...
  3. Strange Steam, 360, PC Xbox user question RE achievements on Xbox web app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Strange Steam, 360, PC Xbox user question RE achievements on Xbox web app.: So here's my issue. TLDR version... My achievements on the Xbox website (don't own a console), show at least 1 of my games with no achievements. I believe it's a bug that MS / Xbox would want...
  4. [Translation-I don't know the family PIN because I bought the Xbox 360 user and I want to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    [Translation-I don't know the family PIN because I bought the Xbox 360 user and I want to...: الرقم السري لرمز العائله في جهاز اكس بوكس ٣٦ لا اعرفه لان اشتريت الجهاز مستعمل واريد حلا? [Translation-I don't know it because I bought the device used and I want a solution?]...
  5. Potential XBOX 360 User. Help!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Potential XBOX 360 User. Help!: Hi! Okay so basically I’ve been a Playstation user all my life. I’ve always defended Playstation and have them all. So recently I’ve found this game shop by my house and it’s great, they have...
  6. I got my Xbox 360 again will it have my purchased games on my user

in XBoX on Consoles
    I got my Xbox 360 again will it have my purchased games on my user: Will i get my xbox 360 games that are doenlosded on my older xbox 360 i sold when i sign into my xbox 360 account again on a new slim i just bought off amazon i dont have the old hard drive but I...
  7. Connecting my 360 user to my Xbox One

in XBoX Accessibility
    Connecting my 360 user to my Xbox One: So... My Xbox 360 won't allow me to download my xbox live user, sync it with an already made profile (which is what im trying to do), or, worst case, make a xbox live account (because it's already...
  8. How to share xbox gold live membership with second user at home on Xbox 360?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to share xbox gold live membership with second user at home on Xbox 360?: How to share Xbox gold live membership with second user at home on Xbox 360? We both have separate profile for achievements. bf4f9dbb-db81-4b5e-bc7f-dc672e81f224
  9. Can an Xbox One user play with a friend that's using an Xbox 360 and earn achievememnts on ...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can an Xbox One user play with a friend that's using an Xbox 360 and earn achievememnts on ...: I'm thinking of buying an Xbox One S to replace my Xbox 360. However, I'd still like to be able to play with a friend in co-op and multiplayer, on older Xbox 360 games to unlock some missing...
  10. My 360 have been offline for quite some time and I need to rwdownload my user and games that i ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My 360 have been offline for quite some time and I need to rwdownload my user and games that i ...: My 360 have been offline for quite some time and I need to rwdownload my user and games that i had i "My Games".. Can anyone help me how to go about with this? Well, the user is there, but not th...