Extremely high Ping on Xbox Series S

Discus and support Extremely high Ping on Xbox Series S in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a series S with an extremely high ping. Xbox has ping around 160ms when other devices on network have ping in the single digits. I have... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SimonMacdonald3, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Extremely high Ping on Xbox Series S

I have a series S with an extremely high ping.

Xbox has ping around 160ms when other devices on network have ping in the single digits.

I have gigabit fibre internet and xbox is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable.

I have tried switching the xbox region in the languages/location setting, switching the ethernet cable, switching to wifi. All with the same slow ping. The xbox also has 100% packet loss.

All devices are up-to-date. Internet provider reports no issues and I have an active GamePass account.

:)

SimonMacdonald3, Nov 28, 2022
  2. SimonMacdonald3 Win User

I see. The problem I’m facing however is that I cannot set up remote access to my Xbox because of the excessive Ping. I guess you could well be right that the Ping measurement is inaccurate, but my Xbox believes it so won’t play ball :)
  3. Georges C. Win User

Hello again, this is really weird but at least we know that the wi-fi card of your console is good, because it connected normally by 4G and had no packet loss.

What I can suggest to eliminate any issue in the console at once would be to test your console on wif-fi and network cable, but on another network of some friend, or family member who has some different ISP provider.
  4. SimonMacdonald3 Win User

HI there,

thanks for your reply. The slow ping I refer to is from the Xbox’s Network Statistics test. This is prompted by my trying to set up remote play/access which is ‘not allowed’ as my Latency is too slow.

At your suggestion I connected the xbox to my cell’s 4G. The ping leapt up to ~300ms and ~600ms on the two tests I did, but the packet loss fell to 0%.

FWIW, I have tried connecting only the xbox to the network, and I still get the same results - 150-160ms ping and 100% packet loss.
  5. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Simon, when you're referring to xbox high ping is referring to the network test that Xbox does in network settings, or are you experiencing something similar when trying to play some game?

If your Xbox says you have 100% packets lost in network testing that's a bad sign, it's because something on your physical network isn't correct, 100% packet loss means there's some bottleneck or damage to the network where packets get lost, it means the signal is interrupted.

I know it can be a little difficult, but try to perform two tests, the first is to do the routing of the 4g network from your mobile phone to xbox and check how the connection behaves.

The second would be to test your console on another network if possible.
  6. SimonMacdonald3 Win User

Okay, I will work on trying this. I’m new to where I live, so it will be a little bit of a challenge…
Thema:

1. Extremely high Ping on Xbox Series S - Similar Threads - Extremely high Ping

2. My latency is extremely high in I’m trying to fix it

in XBoX on Consoles
    My latency is extremely high in I’m trying to fix it: I’m trying to get my latency to drop bro it’s not working for some reason f121275a-60c0-4280-91ae-a514021a76a1
  3. Brand new Xbox Series X extremely snow internet speeds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brand new Xbox Series X extremely snow internet speeds: Just bought a Series X today and I'm experiencing extremely slow download speeds between 30mps and 90 mbps with it staying closer to 30 to 40 most of the time. This is with a wired connection,...
  4. extremely high ram usage from dvr and broadcast user service

in XBoX on Windows
    extremely high ram usage from dvr and broadcast user service: the only thing i have on my pc that is currently open is google, yet gamedvr and broadcast user service has around 3 gb of memory being used up for no reason. ive disabled "remember this is a...
  5. Extremely Slow Download speeds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Extremely Slow Download speeds: I have a Xbox series s and out of the blue It started having incredibly slow download speeds. I have already tested the ports and checked the internet speeds and even factory reset my Xbox. It...
  6. Discord voice chat on xbox makes my mic quality extremely bad

in XboX Insiders
    Discord voice chat on xbox makes my mic quality extremely bad: I've tried playing with my friends on other devices and we use discord to call, recently ive been trying to vc on discord with them but they keep telling me the mic quality is much worse. I don't...
  7. Friend's voice is extremely low most of the time. We have tried everything possible...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Friend's voice is extremely low most of the time. We have tried everything possible...: My friend and I use Xbox One X, and we both use wired jack 3.5mm headsets plugged into the controller. We use the xbox party chat to talk. My friend is extremely quiet for a few minutes after...
  8. bedrock minecraft extremely laggy.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    bedrock minecraft extremely laggy.: my bedrock minecraft is intensely laggy regardless of what i do. i have a radeon 5500 graphics card (i think..?) im not good with computers so i have absolutely no idea what to do. i tried capping...
  9. Does anyone else have an extremely hard time trying to get customer support from Xbox..

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Does anyone else have an extremely hard time trying to get customer support from Xbox..: Does anyone else have an extremely hard time trying to get customer support from Xbox. It’s like I’m trying to communicate with a brick wall when I try too. Not only that but I’ve reported this...
  10. Minecraft Bedrock edition, extremely low frame rates and overall bad performance

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Bedrock edition, extremely low frame rates and overall bad performance: Ive been playing minecraft bedrock for a while and have never had any problems with it, recently though it has been impossible to play. Frame rates at a constant 10-20 even on the lowest settings....