External SSD is showing up in storage manager on Series X but is not functioning.

Discus and support External SSD is showing up in storage manager on Series X but is not functioning. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought an external SSD for my series x, mainly to play gamepass games that are last gen. I also keep current games that I dont play for easy... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ThomasKerr3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. ThomasKerr3
    ThomasKerr3 Guest

External SSD is showing up in storage manager on Series X but is not functioning.

I bought an external SSD for my series x, mainly to play gamepass games that are last gen. I also keep current games that I dont play for easy transfer. That said, the SSD constantly disconnects from the series x and I have to unplug it and reconnect to
    use it at all. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?

:)

ThomasKerr3, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X eternal hard drive

Hi,

If your game is now a Series X optimised title, it can no longer be played off an external hard drive. It must be moved to either the internal storage or an optional expansion card.

External USB hard drives are too slow to play Series X optimised games. None Series X games will still run from your external drive. The internal storage in the Series X is a fast NVME SSD. These drives are several times faster than mechanical hard drives.
  3. ngocphi Win User

Why won't the Game Pass app (iPhone) recognise that my XsX has an SSD installed?

Also should be noted patched games can only be installed internally or on storage cards

NOT external hds

Seagate ssd game drive won't cut it it must be the Seagate series x storage cards which uses nvme tech not ssd
  4. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Will the Xbox Series X be able to use my external SSD

You can or should be able to use it for the Series X but i don't recommend running your games from it,

as you wont get the fast loading or fast travel time of what the Series X custom NVMe SSD is capable of,

It's best to use any external HDD or SSD for just game storage and transfer you most played games onto the Series X NVMe SSD.
  5. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Xbox series s/x storage

You can still use external HDD for your Xbox/Xbox 360/Xbox One games but you can't play Series X/S games from them,

Series X/S games can only be played from the internal or external storage card,

with game file size's getting bigger, that 1Tb internal NVMe SSD is going fill up quick.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?

It would just like to add that Series X|S games are developed to only use faster storage. Not only is this storage totally different to a mechanical hard drive, the way games are loaded is also different. In addition, the Xbox Series X|S hardware can leverage additional resources to load to games from internal SSD or external SSD's even faster, what Microsoft calls its Xbox 'Velocity Architecture'.

As previously stated, you're never going to be able load your Xbox Series X games from an external hard drive. They're just too slow.
Thema:

1. External SSD is showing up in storage manager on Series X but is not functioning. - Similar Threads - External SSD showing

2. Xbox Series | Will 2 Externals & 1 SSD Expansion Slot All Work At The Same Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series | Will 2 Externals & 1 SSD Expansion Slot All Work At The Same Time: We all know 2 externals work at the same time, but what about 2 externals & 1 ssd expansion 71ee8506-f83c-4982-84cb-3665c819bb34
  3. How to format external SSD to store and play games on Xbox Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to format external SSD to store and play games on Xbox Series X?: I recently purchased the Crucial X6 4TB external storage SSD as I am running out of internal storage. I have an external HDD, but it seems fewer and fewer games are able to be stored on that...
  4. I'm trying to set up a new external SSD for my xbox series S, but when I plug it in it only...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm trying to set up a new external SSD for my xbox series S, but when I plug it in it only...: It is a Crucial X8 1tb SSD. It is attached with a USB 3.2 cable. b9acacb0-b94d-4818-88c4-8a22d3323422
  5. Series X. When recording to an external SSD, the system will say it's recording, but the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X. When recording to an external SSD, the system will say it's recording, but the...: This has only started recently in the past month or so. Previously it had worked flawlessly. But now it's intermittent. Sometimes it records the second I hit the hotkey, other times it will start...
  6. I have an Xbox series s and the external ssd won’t work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an Xbox series s and the external ssd won’t work?: I just bought external storage for my Xbox as it is running out of storage, and it won’t let me transfer games? I know it is usb 3.0, but I don’t really know what to do, as it thinks it is for...
  7. Can I Record On 1080 60fps From XBOX Series X With an USB 3.1 Gen 2 External SSD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I Record On 1080 60fps From XBOX Series X With an USB 3.1 Gen 2 External SSD: I Want To Know Can I capture a 60 Min 1080 60fps video on XBOX Series X With USB 3.1 Gen 2 External SSD. f00c906d-d721-405d-a73e-e6a97d58e790
  8. bigger internal and external ssd size

in XboX Insiders
    bigger internal and external ssd size: English not main language so sorry sorry is already asked but hi 1 is there plan to make bigger external ssd for the serie x or s the one that goes into the expansion slot in the back 2 tb is...
  9. Can i put ms edge on external ssd on xbox one s? and will ms edge be faster on ssd?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can i put ms edge on external ssd on xbox one s? and will ms edge be faster on ssd?: So i wanna buy external ssd for my xbox one s but i wanna know if i can put ms edge on it and if its gonna be faster on the ssd. e387403c-2ae4-4958-9b91-e088f7e834cb
  10. External HDD and External SSD issues.

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD and External SSD issues.: Is anyone else having an issue. Where if you plug up an external HDD or and External SSD. It keeps disconnecting your controllers. While playing a game? This has only been happening since the...