External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.

Discus and support External HD detected as "Media" with no format option. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I got a Toshiba 5 TB HD USB 3.0, with its own power source, so supposedly meets the requirements as an external HD for Xbox One. Well, when I plug it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by zdfodder, Mar 18, 2015.

1. zdfodder
    zdfodder Guest

I got a Toshiba 5 TB HD USB 3.0, with its own power source, so supposedly meets the requirements as an external HD for Xbox One.

Well, when I plug it in, the Xbox detects it, but it reads as a Media drive, and there is no option to format it. It does not automatically ask me to format it, and there is no option to format under settings with the drive selected. My only option is "view
    files", and then it opens media player.

Should I return the drive? or is there a way i could get it ready to format by connecting it to my PC first?

:)

zdfodder, Mar 18, 2015
  2. MarkMoore793
    MarkMoore793 Guest
    Trying to Hook up a 2TB USB 3.0 Ext HD

Not used an external HD, but have done the same with a USB stick with no issues, so I suppose my question would be "did you have to format it?" As I say, I have not done, this, but am thinking there might be a difference between wanting to us the external
    HD to expand you XBox storage (which might need a format) and using it as a media drive (which should not need a format) Were you offered the option of formatting the drive, or did it happen automatically?

MarkMoore793, Mar 18, 2015
  3. StrokeDiesel
    StrokeDiesel Guest
    Xbox External HDD has right specs but not compatible for storage?!

I kinda had the same issue with my seagate 4tb hd yesterday. When I plugged it in to the console it would be detected as a 'media drive'. You have to tell it to format the drive for 'games and apps'.

I found this post by MISTER STALLONE which was a big help

I had the same issue, and just found how to resolve it. I tried all the resets and different ports etc, but it was still showing media only. For you tech guys out there(which I am not), I'm using a Western Digital My Passport 1TB External HD.

Go to Settings>Manage Storage. The device should be listed next to your internal hard drive, showing like a music note icon. If you hit the "Start/3Line" button all you'll get is a 'help' and 'switch profile' option. HIT THE "A" button instead, and I had
    an option plain and simple to "Format for Games & Apps". Only took about 3 seconds to finish.

StrokeDiesel, Mar 18, 2015
  4. zdfodder
    zdfodder Guest

I bought the drive for games and apps

zdfodder, Mar 18, 2015
  5. Mister Beep
    Mister Beep Guest
    Hey there I DONT LYKE YOU!

Let's try the following steps to have that external HDD formatted properly:

• Verify that the external HDD is plugged into the side USB 3.0 port.
    • Press the Menu button on your Xbox One controller and select 'Settings'.
    • In the Settings menu, select 'System'.
    • Select 'Manage storage'.
    • Within this menu, you should see your external HDD pop up and format it to store Xbox One games and apps.
    Try those steps and post back to let us know if that did the trick! External HD detected as "Media" with no format option. :)

Mister Beep, Oct 31, 2018
  6. zdfodder Win User

I bought the drive for games and apps
  7. Mister Beep Win User

Hey there I DONT LYKE YOU!

Let's try the following steps to have that external HDD formatted properly:

• Verify that the external HDD is plugged into the side USB 3.0 port.
    • Press the Menu button on your Xbox One controller and select 'Settings'.
    • In the Settings menu, select 'System'.
    • Select 'Manage storage'.
    • Within this menu, you should see your external HDD pop up and format it to store Xbox One games and apps.
    Try those steps and post back to let us know if that did the trick! :)
  8. Qwertei Win User

Issues with exFAT drives.

That's why the console will detect it as a game holder not media. Lets try going to settings - storage - external - format - it'll format the drive to run NTFS and should ask you to use it for games or media choose media.
  9. MarkMoore793 Win User

Trying to Hook up a 2TB USB 3.0 Ext HD

Not used an external HD, but have done the same with a USB stick with no issues, so I suppose my question would be "did you have to format it?" As I say, I have not done, this, but am thinking there might be a difference between wanting to us the external
    HD to expand you XBox storage (which might need a format) and using it as a media drive (which should not need a format) Were you offered the option of formatting the drive, or did it happen automatically?
  10. XBF Brad A Win User

Problemas con disco externo[Translation-Problems with external disk]

Hello Edward,

Thanks for the replies. We recommend trying to format the external hard drive on a PC. Make sure to format to NTFS. Also here is a guide for issues

detecting external hard drive
    . If the hard drive is not compatible with the console it will read it as a media device no matter the format.

Thanks,

Brad
Thema:

1. External HD detected as "Media" with no format option. - Similar Threads - External detected Media

2. Saving to external HD no longer works

in XBoX on Consoles
    Saving to external HD no longer works: As of a few weeks ago, saving to an external HD no longer works reliably. I can save one or two game sessions (COD) but then it no longer records. It says “recording started” then stops. I...
  3. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  4. external micro xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    external micro xbox series s: Can I use an external microphone with usb-b? Any recommendations? 1f5cd1ad-e44c-4d37-bad3-8ca4e19b86bc
  5. My external hard drive won't record multiple videos

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external hard drive won't record multiple videos: The new Xbox next gen capture update has ruined my recording experience with recording long form gameplay on the Next Gen Xbox. I used to be able to record multiple hours worth of video content to...
  6. Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s

in XBoX on Windows
    Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s: I am trying to play games on my external SSD however they won’t run I know Xbox series x/s spec games don’t work and have to be run off the internal but the games I’m trying to play are older...
  7. Why is my external hard drive not detected anymore

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my external hard drive not detected anymore: My xbox series x no longer detects my wd black p 10 even though I have been using it since May to store games. I have tried switching usb ports and restarting the console....
  8. My Xbox gaming external hard drive isn't being detected by my Xbox one anymore

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox gaming external hard drive isn't being detected by my Xbox one anymore: I've done everything Xbox said to do and I've done everything Seagate said and with there tools it passed all the test so why won't my Xbox detect my external drive...
  9. My Xbox app does not detect my external hard drive in the console

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox app does not detect my external hard drive in the console: Yesterday I bought an external hard drive for my console since I ran out of space in the internal storage. The problem starts when I want to download physical games (that is I have the disc) that...
  10. How does my series x not detect my external storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How does my series x not detect my external storage?: I’ve tried almost everything to try to get my storage working and tried it on my friends Xbox to see if it still worked and it did so it’s my Xbox that’s not detecting the storage. Is there any...