External Hard Drive

Discus and support External Hard Drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought a Western Digital My Book 4TB external hard drive for my Xbox One.I connected the device and things went smoothly at first. I followed the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Fuhrman30477, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Fuhrman30477
    Fuhrman30477 Guest

External Hard Drive

I bought a Western Digital My Book 4TB external hard drive for my Xbox One.I connected the device and things went smoothly at first. I followed the instructions that appeared on screen and got as far as naming the device. Then the instructions stopped
    appearing on the screen. I checked the settings and the external hard drive was not listed under storage. For some reason my Xbox hasn't recognized the device. I've followed all of the troubleshooting steps listed by Xbox support such as making sure I have
    installed recent updates for the console, adjusting the power management, removing and reconnecting the drive, using a different USB port, and doing a full reboot for the console. Nothing works and the Xbox One still doesn't recognize the external hard drive
    in the storage settings.

:)

Fuhrman30477, Dec 25, 2015
  2. louisg
    louisg Guest
    louisg, Dec 25, 2015
  3. turk3y
    turk3y Guest
    turk3y, Dec 25, 2015
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

External Hard Drive

Sorry to hear it. Is the drive USB 3.0 compatible?

Can you try reformatting the drive on your PC and then reconnecting to the One?

onyxishere, Dec 26, 2015
  5. Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Guest
    Hey there Fuhrman30477,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been there and I know how this must feel.

I'd also suggest trying the drive on a PC and see if you can work with it, as onyx suggested. See if the drive is properly recognized in Device Manager, Disk Management and the BIOS (brand and model). If it is download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
    and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. Have in mind that the extended test takes quite a while. If the drive passes these tests it should be safe to use and operate properly. Here's a link to the tool:
    products.wdc.com/.../kb.ashx

If the drive is all good after the tests and you can operate with it in Disk Management I'd contact the console's support and see what the guys can do for you. External Hard Drive :)

Post back with some test results,

Captain_WD, Oct 31, 2018
  6. Francia J. Win User

GTA 5 Kicking Me Out

Is this game stored on your Internal Storage or External hard drive? If it's on your External Hard drive kindly move it to your Internal Storage then remove the hard drive. This is to check if it's due to the external hard drive.
  7. AngelObullets Win User

Xbox One X restarts randomly when playing back video, or messing with settings.

Hi there PoiZoN DiNoZaUR

Is the saves on the external hard drive or is the videos on the external hard drive?.
  8. The Leuter 10 Win User

Which Xbox One Should I Get- 500gb or 1tb

No, the 500gb is a joke. you will 100% need either an external hard drive or to buy the larger 1tb hard drive. External hard drives are just the cheaper option.
  9. Lady ll N lK Win User

Requires a hard drive.

You have to have an external hard drive plug in. It does not have to be 360 just reformat it. External hard drives that plug in the USB are not recognized as a hard drive for the 360.
  10. AngelObullets Win User

Hard drive wont be recognized by Xbox one

Hi there Th3Pr0d1GY205

What is the size of the external hard drive? and Is the external hard drive powered by console or powered by an outlet?.
Thema:

External Hard Drive

1. External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  3. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  4. Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze: I had my fiest ever freeze in the my games and apps library and my console makes an electric noise when the hdd storage device is in and stops when I unplug it. I was wondering could my external...
  5. External Hard drives?

in XBoX on Windows
    External Hard drives?: yeah i have a 500gb 3.0 usb external and wondering can i play games from my external if they are not optimized for series x/s? i have an xbox series s if that help?...
  6. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  7. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  8. My external hard drive won't record multiple videos

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external hard drive won't record multiple videos: The new Xbox next gen capture update has ruined my recording experience with recording long form gameplay on the Next Gen Xbox. I used to be able to record multiple hours worth of video content to...
  9. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  10. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99