External hard drive causing Xbox series s to turn off?

Discus and support External hard drive causing Xbox series s to turn off? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Have had my series s for about two years now, and it’s worked fine. The only issue I’ve noticed is when turning my Xbox on it would repeatedly connect... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/njadaka, Jun 3, 2023.

1. /u/njadaka
    /u/njadaka Guest

Have had my series s for about two years now, and it’s worked fine. The only issue I’ve noticed is when turning my Xbox on it would repeatedly connect and disconnect my external hard drive, but it would still work. I hadn’t played my game for a few days, I play it one night for a new hours and everything is fine. The next morning I go to turn it on and it starts up and shuts down seconds after. I take it to a repair store and they tell me it could be either the motherboard or power supply, but I take it home and plug it into another outlet it works just fine. I realize I don’t have my external hard drive plugged in, and when I do it immediately shuts my Xbox off. I purchase another usb cord and it does the same thing. Could it be the actual hard drive itself that’s the problem or something in my console?

submitted by /u/njadaka
    [link] [comments]

/u/njadaka, Jun 3, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

External hard drive not working

Hi,

External hard drives are not fast enough for Xbox Series X|S titles. Unfortunately you can't play these games off slow USB external hard drives. They need either be installed internally or to an optional Xbox Series X|S Expansion card.
  3. Smwutches Win User

External storage

4. Obsessive Power Win User

The new expansion card for Xbox Series X

Hi,

Current external hard drives are USB 3.0 5,400 RPM mechanical hard drives. These drives are very slow compared to the Expansion card. You won't be able to run Series X/S games from current external hard drives, not even the 2.5" external SSD drives either.
    But, you will be able to archive your Series X/S games to these drives to save downloading again.

The expansion card can run all compatible Xbox games. Which will be Series X/S, Xbox One and the BC Xbox 360 and original Xbox games on the BC list.

Xbox One and other Backwards compatible games will load a lot faster on either the internal storage or the expansion card than they would if you ran them off your external hard drive.

Microsoft has a video on YouTube showing 'The Outer Worlds' loading in just 11 seconds on a Series X/S SSD, compared to nearly 60 seconds on Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCX0n9Jci4
  5. StuartATrueRed Win User

Play Xbox One games from an external HDD on Series S

Yes, you can play Xbox One games on your Series S from an external hard drive without causing problems. Just make sure the drive is a USB 3.0 hard drive with a minimum capacity of 128 GB, you can go up to 16 TB if you wish. You can also connect up to 3 external hard drives to your console as well.
  6. Francia J. Win User

What can I do if my game freeze how the apps work fine

Do you have an external hard drive plugged into your console, Rico? A corrupted hard drive may cause issues as well.

If you have one plugged in, please unplug the external hard drive and then perform a powercycle on your console, keep the hard drive unplugged before testing any of your games.

​​​

POWERCYCLE CONSOLE​​​

​​​

1. Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will turn off. ​​​

2. Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller. ​​​
Thema:

1. External hard drive causing Xbox series s to turn off? - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0: Hi there! I'm having some troubles with my XBOX Series S while trying to configure an external hard drive. According to the console, the device isn't fast enough to work as an external storage. It...
  5. Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive: Howdy, I want to transfer my old game saves data from my XBOX One onto an external hard drive. I have already formatted an external hard drive (EHD) to use but I can currently only copy the DLC...
  6. New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects: My WD Black D10 was working fine with my console until the last update. Now when the HD is plugged in, my console makes a freezing noise and shuts down and it keeps repeating in this cycle. There...
  7. What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...

in XBoX on Windows
    What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...: I believe the external drives have to be spec'd to a certain speed and WD was going to release some. Maybe the WD P10 5TB? Please advise! 4ab85aec-6435-4e57-a47d-37e6f1c38f55
  8. Is the interface that comes up when transferring clips to an external hard drive supposed...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the interface that comes up when transferring clips to an external hard drive supposed...: When I go to transfer clips to an external drive, it will function for a while and then will all of a sudden close without any indication of it continuing the process. is this supposed too happen...
  9. What's the point of selling external hard drives SPECIFICALLY FOR XBOX SERIES X/S if you...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What's the point of selling external hard drives SPECIFICALLY FOR XBOX SERIES X/S if you...: I bought an external hard drive that was specifically made for Xbox Series X/S. I was told it would allow me to store and be played off of yet that was not true when I attempted to actually play a...
  10. why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?

in XBoX on Windows
    why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?: if its because "they are enhanced" why not give me a pop up that says "this game will run better if its installed to the internal drive or the expansion card are you sure you wish to play without...