Downloaded Game from Store, then bought DLC Disc - can't access disc contents

Discus and support Downloaded Game from Store, then bought DLC Disc - can't access disc contents in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I originally purchased a Backward compatible version of DragonAge Origins from the MS store. It was free with the option of downloading extra content... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by NightBracelet75, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Downloaded Game from Store, then bought DLC Disc - can't access disc contents

I originally purchased a Backward compatible version of DragonAge Origins from the MS store. It was free with the option of downloading extra content for a price. Fine. Got some free DLC, paid for a few.

Jump ahead - I found a used copy of the Xbox 360 expanded disc with the DLC, including all the DLC I bought and had planned to buy, and bought it, thinking I'll just get the remaining DLC from the expansion disc rather than continue to download. Didn't
    work. I even uninstalled the main copy of the game from my console and re-installed using the disc version. OK. But when I insert the expansion disc, the game still directs me to purchase the DLC from the online store rather than from loading it from the
    expansion disc.

Can I load the DLC from the disc without deleting my saved game data? How?

:)

NightBracelet75, Jul 23, 2017
  2. Elohmn
    Elohmn Guest
    Pre-Order Bonuses Are Starting To Irritate Me.

[quote user="xEnvoy of Chaos"]I don't mind pre-order bonuses when they aren't different at every store. Their should be no reason that I can't get the content already on the disc because I brought it from one place over the other.[/quote]

This as well, Developers need to be really careful in what they call "DLC" or "Exclusive Content". DLC is exactly that, Downloaded Content, not "On the Disc Content".

"True" DLC that is Downloaded is okay in my books (even a Launch Day DLC), as any one with the money can purchase it or get it via a New Retail Copy (aka Code). Content that is already on the Disc but Locked out is a poor Marketing scheme that will only hurt
    everyone in the long run.

Elohmn, Jul 23, 2017
  3. A Panda x3
    A Panda x3 Guest
    homefront will not start!

ok so i just bought homefront from the xbox live store and then when i start it up it says "disc unreadable" but its not a disc it downloaded from xbox live. any ideas?

A Panda x3, Jul 23, 2017
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

Sorry to hear it. However, DLC discs are only packaged with the game and can only work with the game disc. I'm afraid you'll need to purchase the DLC if you would like to use it.

onyxishere, Jul 23, 2017
  5. Hey, yes, thanks. I did buy the disc - the entire set game plus extra modules - but I guess my question is whether the game data is tied to the original game source? Can I change that?

NightBracelet75, Nov 2, 2018
  6. onyxishere Win User

Sorry to hear it. However, DLC discs are only packaged with the game and can only work with the game disc. I'm afraid you'll need to purchase the DLC if you would like to use it.
  7. NightBracelet75 Win User

Hey, yes, thanks. I did buy the disc - the entire set game plus extra modules - but I guess my question is whether the game data is tied to the original game source? Can I change that?
  8. Fluke939 Win User

Fallout 3 Disc Based DLC Not Working

Googling the topic of back compat dlc, I have seen a suggestion that dlc only works if you have the dlc disc in the drive, but in your case, that would mean not have vanilla fallout 3 disc in the drive so you couldn't play the game. digital ownership of
    dlc works, and dlc bundled on a disk like a GOTY edition works. but I think the edge case of original game disc plus expansion disc just won't work. When you put in a disc and install it, the content is there but the xbox one will not let you access it without
    the corresponding disc inserted (so you can't install it, sell the disc, then keep playing), and sadly the xbox one has only one disc tray so impossible to have access to content from two discs at the same time.
  9. Elohmn Win User

Pre-Order Bonuses Are Starting To Irritate Me.

[quote user="xEnvoy of Chaos"]I don't mind pre-order bonuses when they aren't different at every store. Their should be no reason that I can't get the content already on the disc because I brought it from one place over the other.[/quote]

This as well, Developers need to be really careful in what they call "DLC" or "Exclusive Content". DLC is exactly that, Downloaded Content, not "On the Disc Content".

"True" DLC that is Downloaded is okay in my books (even a Launch Day DLC), as any one with the money can purchase it or get it via a New Retail Copy (aka Code). Content that is already on the Disc but Locked out is a poor Marketing scheme that will only hurt
    everyone in the long run.
  10. Nursemorph Win User

Forza Legacy sale

You would need to direct this at Turn 10 and Playground Games as they are the developers of Horizon and Motosport.

As noted above, licencing means they reach End of Life, like Motorsport 7 will next month. After that time, DLC is simply not available...games can't be downloaded from the Store but they can be purchased on disc. Last August, I bought both Horizon 1 and Horizon 2 on disc for my Xbox One and they worked fine..can't download the DLC of course but can still play the games.

Older Motorsport games would necessitate buying an Xbox 360 and the discs
Thema:

1. Downloaded Game from Store, then bought DLC Disc - can't access disc contents - Similar Threads - Downloaded Game Store

2. Issues downloading games from microsoft store

in XBoX on Windows
    Issues downloading games from microsoft store: Hi there, I recently downlloaded gears of war 4 from the microsoft store as i was having problems with the xbox pc game app capping my dowload speed, and when i opened the game after fully...
  3. How to transfer previously downloaded games to new device from Xbox app store, Computer-pc

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to transfer previously downloaded games to new device from Xbox app store, Computer-pc: if you get a new computer and have games on xbox app store on your old computer, such as MSFS, then can you redownload the old computers games from the xbox app store to your new computer? Like...
  4. Why this happens on some Games that I download from MS Store?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why this happens on some Games that I download from MS Store?: I downloaded Asphalt 8 from MS Store today. But why it shows like this? All the menus and buttons are perfectly fine. And the game doesn't even lags for a bit and runs very good without any other...
  5. Why won’t it let me download the game on Xbox store when I haven’t updated the game but...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won’t it let me download the game on Xbox store when I haven’t updated the game but...: I’m having trouble with downloading a game on disc and I tried buying it in the Xbox store but cannot because it says “u own this already” 84debe74-dbae-4e50-a944-bb68cd205219
  6. Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download: Hello - I have a brand new PC I bought today and the system won’t download the Microsoft store, Xbox App, or Xbox Game bar. Has a solution been found for this? I am using Windows 11....
  7. When i tried to download games from ms store, it gave 0x89235106 as a response

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When i tried to download games from ms store, it gave 0x89235106 as a response: response code : 0x89235106 b9288caf-5860-494e-b1b1-cd8fd2800d79
  8. Game I downloaded on Xbox costs money on Windows Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game I downloaded on Xbox costs money on Windows Store: On my Xbox Series X, I purchased the Dead by Daylight Silent Hill edition. On my PC I signed in to the Windows Store with the SAME microsoft account my Xbox account is linked too. I have the order...
  9. language. I want a solution for this.When I try to download the game from an Arabic store,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    language. I want a solution for this.When I try to download the game from an Arabic store,...: When I try to download the game from an Arabic store, I cannot, but my friend downloaded it in Arabic, but they want me to download it from the United States, and the United States does not...
  10. Microsoft store wont let me download games using my game pass.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft store wont let me download games using my game pass.: I have tried everything on forums. I see that it downloads gaming services then soon as it goes to install it. It throws a Error 0x80070005. I have watched youtube videos on it used command...