Dolby Atmos using HDMI audio and a 3.5mm chat headset switch to stereo

Discus and support Dolby Atmos using HDMI audio and a 3.5mm chat headset switch to stereo in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; TLDR: Earbuds in the Xbox controller 3.5mm jack (for chat audio only) = no home theater 5.1.2 audio via HDMI. I've reported this issue through the... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Raidna, Feb 9, 2022.

1. /u/Raidna
    /u/Raidna Guest

TLDR: Earbuds in the Xbox controller 3.5mm jack (for chat audio only) = no home theater 5.1.2 audio via HDMI.

I've reported this issue through the console, but wanted to make a post here to see if others are having a similar problem and maybe get more eyes on the issue.

I am in Alpha ring.

Hardware: Xbox Series X, Denon x1700h, LG C1, Elite Series 2 controller, generic samsung headphones (the ones that came with my phone a few years back) and a 5.1.2 speaker setup, all wires used between console, AVR and display are HDMI 2.1.

When I plug anything into the 3.5mm on the controller, it sets the speaker audio drop down setting on the Xbox to stereo, and doesn't allow me to switch off of stereo until I unplug whatever is in the 3.5mm jack.

It will pop up saying this if I click on Atmos or DTS:X in the drop down when something is in the 3.5mm jack:

For Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, you need to be using HDMI

Dolby Atmos for Home Theater only supports HDMI devices. Try unplugging any headsets or optical base stations.

All I want to do is use any old earbuds, or perhaps a RIG 100hx as a mono chat headset, and maintain my Dolby Atmos home theater audio.

I tried the work-around discussed here:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/22/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2111-2111119/

but unfortunately it doesn't work. I tried setting the headset audio option to stereo uncompressed before plugging in my earbuds, but it still causes the speaker audio drop down setting to revert from Dolby Atmos (HDMI) to stereo.

I've tested this in Halo Infinite and whenever I have the 3.5mm earbuds unplugged the AVR says it is outputting Atmos. The moment I plug in the earbuds, the AVR switches to Mult-in.

I've also tried DTS:X but that also has the same result.

Also, I've adjusted every setting under the guide quick audio & music setting tab where you adjust, volume, mixer, monitoring. None of these settings resolved my issue.

submitted by /u/Raidna
    [link] [comments]

/u/Raidna, Feb 9, 2022
  2. Emil.Dahl Win User

Xbox Series X Audio Delay 150-250ms (Stereo Uncompressed)

The Xbox audio settings I have available are as follows:

HDMI audio:

* Stereo Uncompressed

* Dolby Digital

* Dolby Atmos for Home Theater

Headset Format:

* Stereo Uncompressed

* Windows Sonic for Headphones

* Dolby Atmos for Headphones

* DTS Headphone:X

Tried all of them. Nothing helped.
  3. ArminatorX Win User

Xbox audio is broken!!

We could surely try to help you better if you provided more information to pinpoint the issue better.

What hardware are you using to play audio? How is it connected?

Are you playing audio through your TV via HDMI? Or are you using a soundbar or AV Receiver? Are they connected via HDMI as well, or are you using the optical cable?

Or are you using a headset and getting sound through the 3.5mm jack of your controller? Or is it a wireless headset?

What audio settings are you using? Stereo, 5.1 surround, Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic?
  4. A Skilled Shot Win User

Playback of 4k hdr media files with dolby atmos

Go to xbox settings, Choose "General", Set "speaker audio" to HDMI Bitstream out, then set " bitstream format" to Dolby Atmos for home theater. This will allow all games and apps that support dolby atmos to use those nice surround sound speakers. If you
    get an error when choosing dolby atmos, you may need to make sure your hdmi from the xbox goes to the audio receiver directly with the audio reciever sending hdmi to the tv.

You may have to adjust settings on your audio receiver or tv.

You can also setup dolby atmos for a stereo headset pugged into your controller and have surround sound that way, nice for late nights when others are sleeping.

Let me know if this helped
  5. NeedABeer2Play Win User

Atmos only outputs Multichannel

Thanks for that suggestion. It seems to still only offer up Multichannel out, no Atmos yet. I switched HDMI Audio to Stereo Compressed, then in Video Fidelity set Overrised to HDMI, then set resolution to 1080p and refresh to 60Hz, and made sure colour
    depth was left at 24-bits as per the suggestion above. Switched the HDMI Audio back to Bitstream and the format back to Dolby Atmos for home theatre, but still no luck on outputting an Atmos signal.
  6. willibpimpin710 Win User

No Dolby Atmos sound in games

Yeah, I tried all of that, nothing works. Switching between audio formats makes it glitch and waiting a second resets it but it still only works on stereo and 5.1 but the Atmos works FINE on movies, Dolby App etc. Atmos works, just not in games. Its clearly
    an Xbox issue.

Troubleshoot settings

In-game audio issues when using Dolby Atmos:

If you experience audio problems when you’re using Dolby Atmos, try turning it off:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide and select System >
      Settings.
    2. Select Display & sound, then from the headset audio options, select
      Stereo Uncompressed.
    Frozen speaker settings after you disconnect a Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos headset:

In most cases, disconnecting or turning off a headset/device configured for spatial audio (Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos) will return the speakers to their previous audio settings. However, certain hardware—such as wireless headsets using an intelligent transceiver
    plugged into USB—might still show the headset is connected even after it’s disconnected or turned off.

Unplug the headset or the headset component attached to the Xbox. This should immediately return the speakers to their previous configuration without changing the headset or speaker audio settings. Plugging the headset or the headset component back in should
    restore the headset format you’ve chosen.

If you’re still having problems switching between speakers and headset on Xbox One, check the headset/speakers manufacturer’s website for more info.

Let us know with a reply how it goes!
Thema:

1. Dolby Atmos using HDMI audio and a 3.5mm chat headset switch to stereo - Similar Threads - Dolby Atmos using

2. Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue: I am having a problem with my setup. The TV and the Xbox One S detect each other perfectly for Dolby Atmos - and it shows the sign when it's on - but every two or so minutes, the sound cuts out...
  3. Dolby Atmos for headphones issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos for headphones issue: Hi all, Recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Headset for my Series X . I paid for the for Dolby Atmos app but I am having an extremely annoying issue with the licence. It keeps advising that I...
  4. Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV)

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV): i have Samsung HW-Q930C/ZF and Samsung QLED 4K 2019 65Q64R, my XBOX SERIES X not dettect option dolby atmos not appear submitted by /u/Zaborks [link] [comments]
  5. Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly: I was playing Inside and I notice that the upmixer only sends audio to the height channels, center and surround channels are blank with no audio. submitted by /u/jay23738 [link] [comments]
  6. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  7. Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/08/digital-foundry-highlights-dolby-atmos-issues-on-xbox-playground-games-engineer-responds Just curious if anyone knows whether this has actually been looked...
  8. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024: For me, Atmos still has a 500 miliseconds delay and Dolby Vision for games just doesn't work, it only displays Dolby Vision content but none of the compatible games. What do we have to do to use...
  9. Is there a solution to using Dolby Atmos HDMI out and a headset at the same time?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a solution to using Dolby Atmos HDMI out and a headset at the same time?: As others have discussed previously without a solution as of yet. Id like to bring attention to this as well. I am using a single ear turtle beach headset because I only want voice chat to go...
  10. Dolby Atmos sound issues using a soundbar with HDMI/ARC pass through?

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos sound issues using a soundbar with HDMI/ARC pass through?: I have a dolby atmos soundbar linked up to my xbox using the HDMI/ARC so it is hooked up correctly I've tried to switch the cable round just to make sure like using the opposite ends, for some...