Dolby Atmos height speakers popping/clicking on surround speakers.

Discus and support Dolby Atmos height speakers popping/clicking on surround speakers. in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying to figure out an incredibly annoying audio issue that I encounter using Dolby Atmos in the alpha skip ahead ring. I have... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Amigo1342, Jan 31, 2023.

1. /u/Amigo1342
    /u/Amigo1342 Guest

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out an incredibly annoying audio issue that I encounter using Dolby Atmos in the alpha skip ahead ring.

I have copied the troubleshooting format for audio issues below. I filed an advanced report, but it has been over a month now I’d say and the issue still persists.

I have a 7.1.2 surround set up that is hooked up from my AV receiver via eARC to my TV. When playing back any type of media (Netflix, YouTube, YouTube tv, HBO...etc) every couple minutes I’ll get an incredibly annoying popping/clicking sound coming from ONLY the height channels.

I’ll fill in the questions below:

When did the issue start? - It has been around a month. I have tried resetting the Xbox but it still occurs.

Did you lose audio just in the game/app or system audio as well? - this only seems to happen while playing back media in various apps. It does not happen in games.

Does changing the audio format resolve the issue? If yes, what was the format before and after? - I have been enrolled in the program for over 2 years and my audio setup has been the same, it just randomly started after an alpha skip ahead update. This does not occur in any other format. If I change it to DTS:X, Dolby digital...etc it goes away.

Does rebooting resolve the issue? - no, I have also reset the Xbox and it still occurs.

What does your setup look like? Equipment, layout, etc. - Xbox series X connected to Denon AV receiver. Receiver connects to LG OLED C9 via eARC. Dolby atmos combo tower klipsch tower front speakers, klipsch center channel, klipsch rear bookshelf speakers, and SVS subwoofer.

And any additional information you can provide to reproduce the problem. - I have tried changing out the HDMI cable and it does not help. All physical connections are 100% solid. This does not occur in any other format besides atmos and it only occurs on the height channels. Nothing in particular seems to make it better or worse, but it happens persistently. This does not occur when playing back atmos from my Apple TV 4K or from my uhd blu ray player, so I know it’s not my speakers. It is 100% something related to how the Xbox encodes the atmos height channels. I know it’s the height channels specifically as well because when in the audio set up on the Xbox, and it goes around the speakers in a circle to test each channel, it happens every single time on the height channels while in atmos. It doesn’t not do it with DTS:X. No other audio format uses height channels appropriately to test it besides that.

I have already reported this via advanced report on the console, but wanted to post it here in case someone else is having the same issue.

If someone from the Xbox team knows anything about this and can comment, it would be much appreciated. Also, please let me know if I can possibly assist in anyway to help fix/troubleshoot it.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Amigo1342
    [link] [comments]

/u/Amigo1342, Jan 31, 2023
  2. ArminatorX Win User

Xbox one s not using atmos speakers in games

I also re-installed the dolby acces app. Demo content in the app itself plays sound from my height speakers and the rest of my speakers. I only get this problem when playing games, where only the height speakers are not playing any sound at all.
    It seems that the console and your audio system is properly configured for Dolby Atmos, since the Atmos Demo works.

Also try to download the free "Insects" demo from Microsoft, which allows you to switch between Dolby Atmos and "regular" surround sound.

Check if Atmos works in that demo, as the Atmos Demos in the app are usually videos with a fixed, pre-rendered audio track.

Also, which games are you trying exactly? Do the games really support Dolby Atmos themselves? Because the Xbox One S will not "upscale" regular surround sound from non-Atmos games to have height information.
  3. neocitron Win User

Dolby Atmos on XBOX ONE X connected to DENON X3600H

No, it's not the dolby app. It's the latest skip ahead build that fixed the problem. Anyway dolby laboratories said that the problem was only cosmetic because it was coding real atmos even without displaying that on the receiver. My problem was
    different because i needed to have the speaker Virtualization (i don't have speakers on the ceiling). Without the receiver reading Atmos on the display i can't enable speaker Virtualization. Now it's fixed. Sorry for my english.
    Interesting, this may not be a true fix after all. The problem occurs with real atmos content on actual height speakers without virtualization. Currently, playing the atmos demo content in the Dolby app there is zero sound from the height channel, flip on
    the virtualization in app and there is some virtualized height but it’s not true Atmos height. Odd, because that behaviour shouldnt happen at all. Dolby should know i have real heights and simply select the real height encoding / track. In either case, Atmos
    doesnt display in the AVR front display (just shows pcm multi) so theres no way to know what the receiver is actually doing.

If the issue is “cosmetic” it could simply mean the receiver doesnt know the signal is true Atmos and does the safe thing by just playing sounds on the “bed” speakers instead of making the terrible mistake of playing any random sound on the heights. If this
    is true, it would cancel the argument that Dolby is saying it’s merely “cosmetic” and I think it would make them look a bit dishonest here.

I wonder if anyone in the Alpha program can confirm this on actual Atmos height speakers with Virtualization disabled (to elimmate as many variables as possible) receiver
  4. Villarino Win User

Audio settings

Hello D3mondkid12! Dolby Digital is a system that designates 2.0 up to 5.1 or more channels where the speakers are arranged horizontally (designations include Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital
    Plus) Dolby TrueHD is the next step but the speakers are still arranged horizontally.

Dolby Atmos is a system where speakers are arranged both horizontally and vertically. Examples include 3.1.2, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4. The first number is the number of horizontal speakers, the second number
    is the subwoofer, and the third number is the number of vertical speakers (vertical speakers can be placed on the ceiling or pointing up from the top of the horizontal speakers). Dolby Atmos information can be encoded within a Dolby True HD signal - if you
    have a Dolby Atmos Blu-ray and your receiver doesn’t feature Dolby Atmos decoding, it will default to Dolby TrueHD, Hope it helps!
  5. Greet Mannaerts Win User

Xbox one s not using atmos speakers in games

Thank you for responding. I did try to set my output options to both 5.1 uncompressed and 7.1 uncompressed and then reverting back to dolby atmos sound. I also re-installed the dolby acces app. Demo content in the app itself plays sound from my height
    speakers and the rest of my speakers. I only get this problem when playing games, where only the height speakers are not playing any sound at all. The rest of my speakers have no problem in producing the sound as it should. I will retry changing the settings
    as you suggested later this day. Thank you for the help.
  6. Goofy19781 Win User

Atmos Problem

Dolby Surround is a upscaler from a not atmos source like 5.1 or 2.0 to surround with use of al your speakers like 5.1.2 or higher.

dts neuralx is the same upscaling system from dts

You had no problem with atmos, you think you had.

Now with the new firmware update the xbox one x is a broken thing with netflix

With a non atmos source the receiver must do the upscaling but now the xbox puts out a 2.0 or 5.1 stream in a atmos package, and no sound is comming out your atmos speakers.
Thema:

1. Dolby Atmos height speakers popping/clicking on surround speakers. - Similar Threads - Dolby Atmos height

2. Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue: I am having a problem with my setup. The TV and the Xbox One S detect each other perfectly for Dolby Atmos - and it shows the sign when it's on - but every two or so minutes, the sound cuts out...
  3. Dolby Atmos for headphones issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos for headphones issue: Hi all, Recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Headset for my Series X . I paid for the for Dolby Atmos app but I am having an extremely annoying issue with the licence. It keeps advising that I...
  4. Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV)

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV): i have Samsung HW-Q930C/ZF and Samsung QLED 4K 2019 65Q64R, my XBOX SERIES X not dettect option dolby atmos not appear submitted by /u/Zaborks [link] [comments]
  5. Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly: I was playing Inside and I notice that the upmixer only sends audio to the height channels, center and surround channels are blank with no audio. submitted by /u/jay23738 [link] [comments]
  6. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  7. Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/08/digital-foundry-highlights-dolby-atmos-issues-on-xbox-playground-games-engineer-responds Just curious if anyone knows whether this has actually been looked...
  8. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024: For me, Atmos still has a 500 miliseconds delay and Dolby Vision for games just doesn't work, it only displays Dolby Vision content but none of the compatible games. What do we have to do to use...
  9. Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X: So as the title mentioned, dolby atmos suddenly stopped working on my xbox series x. Going into the settings, it still shows 'green tick' on dolby atmos supported tv. I have tested dolby atmos...
  10. Any word at all on Dolby Atmos audio lag?

in XboX Insiders
    Any word at all on Dolby Atmos audio lag?: I posted on this some time ago so I thought I'd give the issue another bump. PlayStation since they implemented Dolby Atmos has had zero problems with audio lag either through receiver or earc...