Dolby Atmos for Home Theater no longer working in Streaming Apps - Confirmed works elsewhere

Discus and support Dolby Atmos for Home Theater no longer working in Streaming Apps - Confirmed works elsewhere in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I wrote an entire write-up, which will be below this, however this is the only location I can find that will likely push feedback to the Xbox Software... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by xJoshDiesToday, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Dolby Atmos for Home Theater no longer working in Streaming Apps - Confirmed works elsewhere

I wrote an entire write-up, which will be below this, however this is the only location I can find that will likely push feedback to the Xbox Software Development team to find the cause and push a solution out as soon as possible.

It appears that the streaming Codec for videos (streamed online) is not being pushed to AVRs. When attempting to stream off, say Netflix (Which I do have the highest tier subscription which provides Atmos), as of this month it no longer will work. This has been discussed on numerous AVR forums, however it appears absolutely no one has bothered to submit a ticket -- Likely due to the complicated nature of "how" to submit one. That being said. Here's the write-up:

Dolby Atmos does not work on any streaming platform, however this does work in the Application. I used Netflix as a prime example, which I have the highest tier Netflix subscription which supports Atmos. Typically when loading a TV Series with supported Atmos audio, you can choose the Audio selection as "Atmos" within Netflix. Choosing this works properly, however my AV Receiver, Denon AVR-S960H, will display this content as being outputted within DST (Standard 5.1 Surround Sound Dolby Codec). When testing once more within Apple TV, this occurs the same, along with other services that support Atmos. When utilizing Dolby Access to test once more, specifically "Nature's Fury" demo, Atmos displays correctly on the receiver and outputs to all speakers as "Atmos". This occurs properly when utilizing a game, such as Halo Infinite. I've checked all hardcore, software and physical connections on my AVR, including testing outside devices to confirm this is specific to the Xbox. I power cycled the Xbox Series S, re-installed each application, signed out and in, and confirmed there is no issue within the TV by changing displays to another output. I confirmed the HDMI cables, 2.1, are correct and I confirmed there are no errors in communication to any device. In addition, this is not isolated to me, as a whole few dozen "Audio" forums, via Google search setting parameters to this month, display the same issue as occurring to them with the Xbox consoles. In the past, since I've owned the Xbox Series S in 2020, Atmos has always worked (When applicable) on streaming media. For some reason, this codec is not being forced to the AVR when inside these nested applications. This could be an issue with the applications, or it could be a firmware issue on Xbox's end. My Xbox build is xbl_flt_2211ni.221130-1745 and I am within the Omega Xbox Update Preview ring.

To confirm further, I tested each cable, each speaker, each of the three televisions LG, Hisense and Samsung. I tested two different Denon AVR's with Atmos support. I tested between the Xbox Series S, the Smart TV's, and a laptop which all output Atmos appropriately.

Once more, Atmos for Home Theater outputs through the Xbox Series S, with information of correct Codec data on the Denon AVR, while using Halo Infinite or utilizing the Dolby Access Application (Nature's Fury for sound example). When loading into Netflix, selecting and confirming the audio source is set for Atmos in Audio Options, the only Codec being pushed is a 5.1 Channel Mix.

I attempted to, onc emore, re-install each application, log out and in each application, power-cycle the Xbox Series S, and tried AppleTV, which does have Atmos Support but it will not output Atmos (Despite depicting the content is within Atmos inside the Application).

Once more, this is not an issue with hardware, software on my end, or configuration / payment to the services, but an issue with Codec not being outputted from the Application (IE Netflix, Apple TV, etc) to the AVR. This does work, once more, inside Halo Infinite and Dobly Access, to confirm Atmos is functional on the Xbox Series S, not however in these applications.

To confirm lastly, this was a functional benefit of the Xbox Series consoles, and is touted as being "the" home theater console among countless with this luxury, and was working properly until sometime within this past month. I've used this continuously in the exact same methodology and setup, with zero change, since launch of the Xbox Series consoles.

If there is anyway this could be pushed to an Xbox Support team for looking into what could be causing this to not push, it would be greatly appreciated, as I've seen over hundreds of comments about this across different forums, on social media and on different discussions but no one has been successfully able to submit a ticket. To appropriately address any other concerns, every aspect of the Xbox Series S, the AVR, the connections, the software and accounts were all tested, addressed, and all steps from troubleshooting diagnostic from level 1 to top level help desk, beyond application support side would have been taken already. This is, in specific, an issue within the Xbox software, unrelated to any end-user and would be affecting every Xbox user, not specifically one person.

:)

xJoshDiesToday, Jan 2, 2023
  2. Geri M. Win User

Dolby Atmos for Home Theater no longer working in Streaming Apps - Confirmed works elsewhere

Hello Default_706,

Thank you for taking time sending feedback to our support teams. Our engineers starting to investigate the issue and hopefully, it will be addressed soon.

With regards, to your gamertag issue, we understand that you have created another new thread for that. Kindly monitor it there as we will be closing this thread for now.

Again, thank you for taking time in posting your concern here.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hi Default_706,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

Push feedback to Xbox Software Development team to find the cause and push a solution out as soon as possible. Kindly submit a bug via our Xbox Report a Problem App. Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support. When submitting your bug please make sure to title the bug [XBF] Dolby Atmos not working with Streaming apps and make sure to choose submit bug with Media Tracing which captures audio issues. Once you have submitted your bug please reply to this thread and provide me the date of your submission.

Thank you for your understanding.

If you have other concerns, you can create a new post here.

We wish you a good day!

Kind regards

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. DvS 0524 Win User

Same problem I am having I had to switch over to DTS for home theater or DTS surround sound to get IMAX sound format to enjoy my 4 height, channels, Microsoft Igotta fix this issue.
  5. Default_706 Win User

This was already done, however for some reason my Gamertag switched to another one entirely. The gametag this was submitted under was XXXXXXXXXToday. There is also an entire separate thread of multiple users (over a dozen) having the exact same issue and bug.

*** EDIT: Removed personally identifiable information (PII) from post.
  6. NeedABeer2Play Win User

Atmos only outputs Multichannel

So after following up with the Dolby Access support team, apparently games aren't supported on home theater, only on headphones:

"Unfortunately, Games encoded with Dolby Atmos audio are not compatible with Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, as they are specifically configured for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. If the content you are experiencing is not compatible with the app you are
    using, then audio will cease, or will simply output as regular stereo output.

To clarify, Dolby Atmos for Home Theater is included at no charge with any Dolby Atmos supported hardware, such as a receiver or Xbox One X, and is used to activate Dolby Atmos features via HDMI connection for a Dolby Atmos certified AVR, soundbar,
    or TV."

"Unfortunately, the version of Dolby Atmos included with your Xbox is Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, which is not compliant with any gaming content."

It kind of strikes me as hard to believe, or that this won't be addressed, but that's what they're saying for now. That said, it still isn't working for me for Netflix content either, so I'm going continue troubleshooting with them and see what's doable
    and what's not. Fingers crossed.
Thema:

1. Dolby Atmos for Home Theater no longer working in Streaming Apps - Confirmed works elsewhere - Similar Threads - Dolby Atmos Home

2. Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue: I am having a problem with my setup. The TV and the Xbox One S detect each other perfectly for Dolby Atmos - and it shows the sign when it's on - but every two or so minutes, the sound cuts out...
  3. Dolby Atmos for headphones issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos for headphones issue: Hi all, Recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Headset for my Series X . I paid for the for Dolby Atmos app but I am having an extremely annoying issue with the licence. It keeps advising that I...
  4. Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV)

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos not detecting compatible reciever over eARC (Via TV): i have Samsung HW-Q930C/ZF and Samsung QLED 4K 2019 65Q64R, my XBOX SERIES X not dettect option dolby atmos not appear submitted by /u/Zaborks [link] [comments]
  5. Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly: I was playing Inside and I notice that the upmixer only sends audio to the height channels, center and surround channels are blank with no audio. submitted by /u/jay23738 [link] [comments]
  6. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  7. Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know if Microsoft has been looking into fixing the audio delay with dolby atmos...: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/08/digital-foundry-highlights-dolby-atmos-issues-on-xbox-playground-games-engineer-responds Just curious if anyone knows whether this has actually been looked...
  8. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos issues, STILL IN 2024: For me, Atmos still has a 500 miliseconds delay and Dolby Vision for games just doesn't work, it only displays Dolby Vision content but none of the compatible games. What do we have to do to use...
  9. Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X: So as the title mentioned, dolby atmos suddenly stopped working on my xbox series x. Going into the settings, it still shows 'green tick' on dolby atmos supported tv. I have tested dolby atmos...
  10. Dolby atmos for home theater not working on my Xbox series s

in XBoX on Windows
    Dolby atmos for home theater not working on my Xbox series s: Hi, I’m just bought the xbox series s, my tv and sound bar is support Dolby atmos. Sound bar is sonos ARC plug with hdmi arc port at tv. I have try to select dolby atmos for home theater (hdmi...