Does Xbox Series X Always Run At UHD? Microsoft Reps, Devs Please Help.

Discus and support Does Xbox Series X Always Run At UHD? Microsoft Reps, Devs Please Help. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The Xbox Series X is capable of 4k 60 output, but my monitor is only 1440 60 FPS. Is the console rendering a 4k 60 image, then downsampling it? Or just... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Popa2caps, May 20, 2021.

1. Popa2caps
    Popa2caps Guest

The Xbox Series X is capable of 4k 60 output, but my monitor is only 1440 60 FPS. Is the console rendering a 4k 60 image, then downsampling it? Or just sending out a 1080 then upsampling it?

I ask this because Forza Horizon 4 on my PC looks better than my Xbox Series X. My PC only has a GTX 1070.

Does that help?

:)

Popa2caps, May 20, 2021
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

I thought it would, but now I'm not so sure. For example if I turn the HDMI auto detect to manual, then I set my resolution to 1440, FPS to 60. Inside the graphical fidelity menu section, some settings become available. but only if I set HDMI to manual.

One of these settings in the graphical fidelity menu is labeled 4K. If I enable it, my monitor says, Out of range.
    That's because setting to manual overrides the display's E-EDID (Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data). It's how the 'Auto' setting works. Basically, your Displays tells the console what it is and what it's capable of doing. If you change it to manual, you'll see settings that your console can do, but these may not be supported by the TV or monitor, hence the ‘out of range’ message.

The Series X still renders games in 4K and downscales to a lower resolution if that resolution is selected or chosen automatically by the system.

Now of course, it’s a console so there is some leeway. Not all games run at native 4K. They’ll either use dynamic scaling, temporal upscaling or checkerboard rendering. These graphics techniques can produce a sharp 4K or near 4K image with caveats, most of these technical tricks are lost on console only gamers as for the most part they aren’t technically minded. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course.

For traditional rasterization, the Series X GPU is up there with perhaps an RTX 2070 Super. The RTX cards beat the Series X into the long grass when performing Ray Tracing. The biggest reason for this is the lack of tensor cores which allows RTX 2XXXX and 3XXXX to use of DLSS, massively increasing performance.
  3. Korey Creative Win User

I thought it would, but now I'm not so sure. For example if I turn the HDMI auto detect to manual, then I set my resolution to 1440, FPS to 60. Inside the graphical fidelity menu section, some settings become available. but only if I set HDMI to manual.

One of these settings in the graphical fidelity menu is labeled 4K. If I enable it, my monitor says, Out of range.

That's why I don't think the console is always outputting the highest resolution, then downsampling it. If the console was automatically outputting the highest resolution than doing the downsampling, I wouldn't even see this 4K option, in my mind.

I've been playing at 1440 on my PC since early 2014, it's not like I'm new to the resolution, I just think my Series X is some kind of upscaled 1080p image.

I do also understand that on PC you get to change the settings, so it could be one of those. Another reason why I don't think the system is running at max, I can't enable 120 FPS mode without a 120 monitor and/ or TV. Playing at 120 FPS + on a 60 FPS monitor still benefits the user with reduced input latency.

In terms of power on paper, the Xbox Series X should be on the same level as a 2080/ 2080 super output RT or an RTX 3070. It's basically a downclocked RX 6800.

Sorry for the wall of text.
  4. Korey Creative Win User

I'm re-wording my post. Not at all what I was trying to ask.
  5. Korey Creative Win User

​That's my point exactly, For example the Allow 4K in the video modes says " This setting allows native 4K content for 4k games & apps, even if your console is set to a lower resolution".

I can't activate it, why? because the console checks to see if my monitor has the capabilities of 4k. If the console was oversampling, I would be able to set this even though my display isn't 4k capable.

I totally understand that the graphical fidelity depends on a lot of factors for console games. Like, but not limited to textures, anisotropic filtering, anti aliasing and so on.

Not to mention the techniques developers use for resource management in leveraging assets efficiently.

I'm just saying, in an honest opinion, I do not think the Xbox Series X runs at its fullest capabilities for lower then 4K UHD displays.

I edited the top of this post .
  6. Korey Creative Win User

How in the world did you read anything I posted, and thought to give me that advice, Like honestly?

For one, the Xbox Series X comes pre-packaged with a 2.1 HDMI cable, why in the world would I think I don't have one?

I'm not in discussion on the console's 4k UHD capabilities. I'm trying to have a technical discussion about the console's capability if it is rendered at full capacity or depends on the resolution.

If you don't know what that means, please don't try to guess.

Also here is some info on 4k / UHD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
    Incase you don't wish to click the link, I've gone ahead and taken some bits out for you to read.

"The term "4K" is generic and refers to any resolution with a horizontal pixel count of approximately 4,000.[3](p2) Several different 4K resolutions have been standardized by various organizations.

4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels.[1] Digital television and digital cinematography commonly use several different 4K resolutions. In television and consumer media, 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard, whereas the movie projection industry uses 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)."

Also it's a pipe dream thinking any modern game will run at native 4K UHD at 120 frames per second on Xbox Series S|X. Now you might hear of games running at those speeds, but it's going to be a very limited title. For example indie 2d games or the alike could in theory run at those. Shoot, sitting pictures run at thousands of frames per second.

A computer with a 3090 can barely run 4k 120 fps, that's a $1500 USD graphics card. Xbox Series X might be new, same with PS5, but they're not that powerful, not even close.

Please no more replies that hurt my brain cells.
Thema:

1. Does Xbox Series X Always Run At UHD? Microsoft Reps, Devs Please Help. - Similar Threads - Does Series Always

2. Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .: Why..... is the question ... what is real how do you define real...(that's where is shuts off haha) Everytime i try to play the matrix demo my console shuts down there's a green screen for a split...
  3. Does the Xbox logo appear In xbox series x after it was in shutdown mode

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox logo appear In xbox series x after it was in shutdown mode: Today I left the Xbox series x in shutdown mode to download forza horizon 5 and I left it for about 6 hours and when I came back I noticed that the Xbox fan was off and when I turned on Xbox...
  4. Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...: Hello, I’m looking to purchase a custom controller from design labs, and I was looking at the elite series 2 controller, and it asks if I’d like to purchase paddles for an extra £21 on top of the...
  5. Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?: Hello, I bought the series X last week and I have had constant issues with Xbox not connecting to the WiFi, after it was set up, when I start the system. Absolutely nothing changes. The system...
  6. why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected: my xbox series x controller keeps disconnecting i changed the batteries i couldnt resync the controller until i turned off the power supply but took about 2 minutes and the controller again...
  7. Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...: When I came back home as I brought my Xbox to my friends house, it always disconnects from the WiFi and I don't know why. When it disconnected, my controller also disconnected....
  8. Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console: Usually, when I turn on my XSX controller, the light on the controller pulses for 2 seconds, after which the console also starts and both devices are connected. Lately (since the december update,...
  9. Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console: Usually, when I turn on my XSX controller, the light on the controller pulses for 2 seconds, after which the console also starts and both devices are connected. Lately (since the december update,...
  10. Forza motorsport does not start on my series s with game pass. It always says error...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza motorsport does not start on my series s with game pass. It always says error...: Forza motorsport does not start on my series s with game pass. It always says error 0x8007013d. I have uninstalled and downloaded it 2-3 times. Same error. a0639162-ab9e-4e07-bbfb-7afd97f1eab5