Does Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" feature wipe hard drive?

Discus and support Does Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" feature wipe hard drive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Does anyone know if the Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" feature wipes the hard drive? Or does it just reformat the hard drive. I am selling and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TechDavie
    TechDavie Guest

TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015
  2. aussie_geek
    aussie_geek Guest
    Messed Up Xbox One Upscaling Chip?

Unfortunately looks like hardware trouble.

But Is there any way to full initialise / reset an Xbox One? - ie wipe the hard drive and then re download and install the OS. If so - I would be doing that first.

Try a factory reset first. support.xbox.com/.../reset-console-to-factory-defaults

aussie_geek, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Xbox one seems to think a network cable is connected when one isn't.

OneKingDown36, Sep 2, 2015
  4. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest

bit extreme .... it format's it I highly doubt they can access the File system let alone extract your info lol

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  5. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest
    also don't quote me on this but I would no be surprised if there was some form of encryption involved to protect the data, so once you format it I very much doubt they can do an unformat as such ...

anythings possible if you want to let your mind get carried away.

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  6. TechDavie
    TechDavie Guest
    Hardly extreme.

Its easy to recover deleted files from any hard drive if they are just deleted. It drive is just reformatted it is also easy to recover data although it is not always guaranteed to be complete.

I have not seen any documentation from Microsoft that they encrypt data on the hard drive or that the Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" does wipe data to some spec.

TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015
  7. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest
    try googling you may be able to find out if Xbox drive is encrypted ?

and yea I do think having to take your Xbox one apart just to make sure it got none of your details left on it might as well just smash up HDD and replace be done it once an for all lol ...

sound a bit para to me .. but if it makes you feel better it's your choice.

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  8. TechDavie
    TechDavie Guest

anyone else have information?

Nothing available online from Microsoft that I can find. I've even contacted XBox One support and they weren't able to provide details on this.

Has anyone seen documentation from Microsoft that they encrypt data on the hard drive or that the Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" does wipe data to some spec?

thx

TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015
  9. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest
    stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  10. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest
    I would be surprised if you had any software that could even read the file system .. maybe microsofts own ?

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  11. TechDavie
    TechDavie Guest
    Anyone else have information / documentation from Microsoft that they encrypt data on the hard drive or that the Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" does wipe data to some spec??

TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015
  12. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest
    it's not encrypted ... the above link I gave proves that .. it's just a file system designed for Xbox one I very much doubt after a format the it can be un-done due to not being able to access the file system in the first place ..

feel free to ignor ..

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  13. stevenicks
    stevenicks Guest

i'll quickly add

the only things I could get access to where the apps stuff even sure i found desktop to my PC on it ... I will have to take another look but that was using an external drive and before a format

where the games are stored windows can not access for obvious reasons

stevenicks, Sep 2, 2015
  14. TechDavie
    TechDavie Guest
    steve dude, not that i don't appreciate your replies, but you aren't adding any new info.

Xbox One might encrypt user info eg account and credit card info even if they don't encrypt game and system files. I haven't seen any info on that anywhere.

The Xbox 360 at one time did not encrypt user info and credit card info and it was relatively trivial for people with requisite knowledge and skills to recover that information after a "Factory Reset Default".

So my original question still stands. Does anyone else have information / documentation from Microsoft:

* are user account, credit card info encrypted data on the Xbox One hard drive?

* does Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" wipe data to some spec?

thx

TechDavie, Sep 2, 2015
  15. Microsoft will most likely not give out information on the xbox one file system or any other propiotary hardware or software. As such information is useful to hackers who want to make mods , or other such things.

If you sell your One do the factory reset and if your paranoid about it go to your Ms account and up your security settings and change your passwords. . If your really, really paranoid send your One thru an industrial shredder, sure it wont be woth squat
    but you will have that warm fuzzy feelng that some how youve protected your data from those pesky data miners..?

CeasedThought, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Does Xbox One "Factory Reset Default" feature wipe hard drive? - Similar Threads - Does Factory Reset

2. Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.

in XboX Insiders
    Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.: Ive seen countless consumer feedback negatively reviewing microsoft and xbox as a brand nowadays. The UI is uninspired, continuously redundant, and filled with ads to the point that it’s ugly and...
  3. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  4. when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?

in XBoX on Windows
    when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?: I did these tasks that give you items and minecoins but I did not get the coins it has? bb87f0b9-be24-4578-9c20-4e75c285374b
  5. Does limited warranty cover any case damage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does limited warranty cover any case damage?: The bottom panel and back panel broke off my xbox series s and its causing massive overheating and i cant play any games or even watch youtube for that matter. Does limited warranty cover this?...
  6. Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006

in XBoX on Windows
    Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006: So recently set up my old 360 and ran into the error code 80151006 I found a old post from 2013 saying to clear your cache I was wondering if that would still apply now in 2024 or would there be...
  7. What does the exp do when I finish quest

in XboX Insiders
    What does the exp do when I finish quest: Just wondering if it does anything submitted by /u/Enderrbean [link] [comments]
  8. Does the factory reset on X Box Series S deletes the local save data if I choose "keep the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does the factory reset on X Box Series S deletes the local save data if I choose "keep the...: So I can't play any game right now because of error 0x87e50033, and it seems like the only solution for this is a factory reset. If I do this and select "keep the game files", does it keep the...
  9. Does switching from Omega to Delta preview require a factory reset?

in XboX Insiders
    Does switching from Omega to Delta preview require a factory reset?: Been in the insider program for over 4 years and never switched previews but wanna give it a try. However I get the warning that it may cause a factory reset. If it is guaranteed to require a...
  10. Why does it happen when I factory resetted my Xbox one and it slis stuck at 50%

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does it happen when I factory resetted my Xbox one and it slis stuck at 50%: So I factory restarted my Xbox one and it stays at 50% and is says for a few hours 2d9eb9c8-e29a-4b3b-a72b-2fe4752baa7f