Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs?

Discus and support Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; If I download the game off a friend's disc (because my Internet connection is terrible) and then buy it again off the Xbox store so I have my own copy,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Pacman606, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Pacman606
    Pacman606 Guest

Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs?

If I download the game off a friend's disc (because my Internet connection is terrible) and then buy it again off the Xbox store so I have my own copy, will it download it all again (rendering the whole process useless) or will it stay as installed, not
    having to be downloaded again ?

:)

Pacman606, Oct 29, 2016
  2. ArataWata
    ArataWata Guest
    I have question regarding digital and physical copies of games.

Yo, just got my 1TB Xbox One today and I was wondering about the differences between digital and physical game installations.

For example, on PS4 when you buy a physical copy of a game it'll install the data on the disc first and then proceed to download the rest of the data from the servers.

I was wanting to know if the Xbox One does the same for it's games or if it installs the entirety of the game with it's disc?

ArataWata, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Xbox One Download History (re-download DLC)

I am having this problem with music videos in XBox Music. All my previously purchased music videos show on one playlist but none of them can be played (play button disabled). There were no add-ons installed for "my games and apps" > "Xbox Music". I cannot
    find any way to re-download this content.

theWITCHD0CT0R, Oct 29, 2016
  4. Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs?

If you have already installed the game from disc, then the xbox will not need to download the game again if you purchase it from the xbox store.

StuartATrueRed, Oct 29, 2016
  5. MB5656
    MB5656 Guest
    Although to play the game that was installed from the disc you have to re insert the game every time you play the game. If you are wondering if you game save will stay with the game you played from the disc when you switch to the downloaded copy, it will.
    example, I had FH1 on my Xbox 360 via disc... lost disc... purchased the game when it was free. game save stayed with me and played even when I was on the digital download copy.-- same applies with Xbox one.

So if I were you go to games and apps> go to FH3 box> hit menu on controller> hit manage> Delete the Game but not the game save from the cloud. (do this if you don't care about the internet connection-- if you do care attempt to purchase the game and play
    the title as Stuart says)

After you purchase and download the game you will be able to play Forza Horizon 3 with out having the data loss from disc game

Hope that helps Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs? :)

MB5656, Oct 30, 2016
  6. Pacman606
    Pacman606 Guest
    So just to be clear, if I do purchase it on the store having already installed it, it
    will not download anything and I will no longer require a disc.

Pacman606, Nov 2, 2018
  7. Pacman606 Win User

If you have already installed the game from disc, then the xbox will not need to download the game again if you purchase it from the xbox store.
    So just to be clear, if I do purchase it on the store having already installed it, it
    will not download anything and I will no longer require a disc.
  8. MB5656 Win User

Although to play the game that was installed from the disc you have to re insert the game every time you play the game. If you are wondering if you game save will stay with the game you played from the disc when you switch to the downloaded copy, it will.
    example, I had FH1 on my Xbox 360 via disc... lost disc... purchased the game when it was free. game save stayed with me and played even when I was on the digital download copy.-- same applies with Xbox one.

So if I were you go to games and apps> go to FH3 box> hit menu on controller> hit manage> Delete the Game but not the game save from the cloud. (do this if you don't care about the internet connection-- if you do care attempt to purchase the game and play
    the title as Stuart says)

After you purchase and download the game you will be able to play Forza Horizon 3 with out having the data loss from disc game

Hope that helps :)
  9. StuartATrueRed Win User

10. ArminatorX Win User

USB backward compatibility

To explain a bit why that won't work:

The Xbox One doesn't understand the "language" in which the Xbox 360 games are stored on disc or USB. The disc for physical copies is just a "proof of purchase" for the Xbox One, and the actual code for running the game on the Xbox One is downloaded from
    the Xbox Marketplace in a "translated" language the Xbox One can understand.

If you installed a game from disc on an USB drive, it's missing the "proof of purchase" license the disc would provide.

If it were a digital download game, it would show up under Ready to Install in your account's Games and Apps, and you could simply download it for free, as the "proof of purchase" for a digital download game is stored in your account.

However without a disc, there is no proof of purchase, and you can't install the game on the Xbox One.
  11. Mister Gwyther Win User

game won't play after game update

Are you playing the game from the disc, installed to the HDD from a disc, or downloaded from the Marketplace? Can you try deleting the game (including any Title Update files), clear the system cache, restart the console, and re-download or re-install the
    game. Does this help?
Thema:

1. Does the Xbox One re download games if they were previously installed from physical discs? - Similar Threads - Does download games

2. Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?: When I am downloading a game, my Xbox will hold a 105+ mbps download speed. But starting a couple of months ago, my Xbox randomly disconnects from the WiFi only when I’m downloading games. Does...
  3. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  4. Why does my laptop download stuff 10x faster than my gaming pc?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my laptop download stuff 10x faster than my gaming pc?: i got max 3mb p/s download speed with and avg of around 2 on my pc yet 20+ on my laptop. my laptop is a LENOVO_MT_20R6_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad L13 Yoga and the wifi adapter thing for my pc is...
  5. Why does my Xbox Series s say installation stopped when I try to download a game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox Series s say installation stopped when I try to download a game: Please help me with this e27504fe-4a78-44ed-9b2f-74d1f58253bc
  6. Why does my installing games and apps say installing but doesn't move/ download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my installing games and apps say installing but doesn't move/ download: My app like I just got dead island 2 I started to download it but is just stuck at saying installing and not moving 8c9ceaed-edeb-40e2-8264-7011d60cfd1b
  7. Why does my game stop downloading at 69%?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my game stop downloading at 69%?: So basically,I am trying to download GTA V,but it says "Instalation stopped".It stops at 69% and my disc is a bit scratched but that's not the reason I believe since it downloads to 69%.I tried...
  8. why does my brand new series x not download games at appropriate speeds?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my brand new series x not download games at appropriate speeds?: Xbox Series X says I have 300mbps plus download and 15 mbps upload yet downloads games at 7mbps or sometimes stops all together. This is without being in a game. What would cause this? It’s hard...
  9. Games on XBOX PC App stay in Queued status and does not download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games on XBOX PC App stay in Queued status and does not download.: When I tried to install a new games or update a current game in teh PC XBOX App it just state that 'microsoft visual c++ 2015 uwp desktop runtime package' have been installed and the download goes...
  10. Xbox game pass app not showing game's list, and not downloading games when it does.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game pass app not showing game's list, and not downloading games when it does.: I've been looking at Microsoft Questions for the past few days looking for an answer to this problem, and I've tried just about everything now. I've restarted my computer, I've restarted the app,...