Does the Media Player App support H.264 MKV video files for now?

Discus and support Does the Media Player App support H.264 MKV video files for now? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I don't know if someone has already asked this question but I failed to find a related thread with the search function. I've set up a DLNA server... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Hillin, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hillin
    Hillin Guest

Hi,

I don't know if someone has already asked this question but I failed to find a related thread with the search function. I've set up a DLNA server and placed several MKV files which I believe are encoded in AVC1(H.264) video and DTS audio codecs, but the
    Media Player app refused to play them.

I read on the FAQ page (Xbox Media Player FAQ | Video, Photo, and Audio on Xbox One) and it says H.264 is supported, and MKV should be supported in late 2014. Since it's
    2015 now so I guess my video files should be supported already.

:)

Hillin, Mar 29, 2015
  2. ShasnK
    ShasnK Guest
    Media Player and MPEG4

The same is true with MKV files encoded with h.264 and AC3 audio. Nothing will play in the Media Player app from my DLNA server. It was working an hour ago, but not anymore.

ShasnK, Mar 29, 2015
  3. redteamsucks
    redteamsucks Guest
    Mkv & M4v files wont play - 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)

Using both VLC app and built in Xbox Media Player app, all of a sudden MKV & M4V files cant play, when up until March they played perfectly fine off my external hard drive

Any reasoning why? The video codec is h.264 and audio is AAC which ALWAYS played previously...

Error code search provides no results. Ive tried reinstalling both apps and it does not work on either my One X or OG One

redteamsucks, Mar 29, 2015
  4. ShasnK Win User

Media Player and MPEG4

The same is true with MKV files encoded with h.264 and AC3 audio. Nothing will play in the Media Player app from my DLNA server. It was working an hour ago, but not anymore.
  5. FX45guy2006 Win User

Media Player error 0xc00d36c4 streaming MKV from PC

Maybe someone could at least confirm for me whether this is even a use-case that is expected to work?Is it expected that you can stream MKV video using the Media Player app on Xbox One from a Win8.1 PC media library?

I have subsequently tried to re-pro the issue on a fresh build of Win8.1 on a different PC on my home network, using the same MKV files, and same Media Streaming options. In this case Media Player app on XB1 does not even list the MKV files within this media
    library. Maybe this is the default behaviour instead?

On the PC hosting the MKV files with which the Media Player app gives error 0xc00d36c4, I once had some third-party MKV codecs installed (CCCP) so that I could watch MKVs in Media Player 12 for Windows 8. Once MS added MKV support to the Video app in Win8.1
    I uninstalled these third-party codecs. Could this be the only reason that the Media Player app on XB1 sees the MKV files in this media library, and it isn't even supposed to?
  6. Tomerance Win User

what kinds of video does my x-box support??

From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264, AVI

From the Zune software to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Unprotected), Mpeg4, H.264

From Windows Home Server to the Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), AVI

From Windows Media Center to an Xbox Media Center Extender: WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected), MPEG-2

If you video files are not compatible with you Xbox, you may need to convert using conversion utility like
    Handbrake,
    AppGeeker
    , etc., both of them have presets

to make things easier.
  7. Arminator Win User

Xbox One X Media Player and Film & TV

1. What does the error code mean?
    2. Why does this affect both MP3 and MKV files?
    1. My assumption is, that either the console doesn't have the fitting codecs for the media file, or after searching for this particular error, that the Media Player app has issues with drives larger than 2TB.

In order to resolve the codec question, it would help if you knew the audio and video codec used on the MKV or MP4 file (or did you mean MP3 audio-only file in your first original post)?

2. It depends on wether your original post or this post has a typo.

If your first post is correct, and you have issues with MP4 (four) and MKV, then know that both filetypes are container files for a video and audio stream of varying codec formats.

For example, you could have a MKV consisting of a MPEG2 Video stream and Ogg Vorbis audio compression. Or the MP4 could be a H.264 Video stream and a AAC encoded audio track.

The Xbox One only has limited support for various audio and video codec combinations.

If your second post is correct, and you have issues with MP3 (three) audio files (that should work 100%), then I'd assume the issue is, that the console's Film & TV app can't work with drives larger than 2TB, as people with similar issues report that 2TB
    hard drives with MBA work, whereas GPT partitioned discs seem to cause this error with disks beyond the 2TB limit.
  8. Deadlyredly Win User

what kinds of video does my x-box support??

Hiya, bit long winded, but hope this helps!:

Supported File Types

The Xbox 360 supports AVI, WMV, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264 and QuickTime movie formats. The file extensions included are as follows: .avi, .divx, .wmv, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, and .mov.

Video Playback

For video files with the WMV container, playback occurs at 15 Mbps (Mega-Bytes Per Second) with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Files with the H.264 container have the same resolution, but are played back at 10 Mbps. For AVI and MPEG-4 Part 2 video files, playback
    is 5 Mbps at 1280 x 720 resolution.

Audio Playback

The Xbox 360 supports WMA 7-9 and Lossless audio profiles for WMV video formats. Dolby Digital and MP3 profiles are supported in AVI formats. For MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 encoded videos, the console supports only two-channel AAC audio encoding.

Streaming Video

With Zune software, the Xbox 360 can stream unprotected AVI, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264, and WMV video formats. Through Windows Media Player, protected and unprotected WMV videos can be streamed.

Streaming Tips

Download a third-party video codec package to expand the amount of video formats you can stream using the Windows Media Player. For better playback, convert video files into the more Mircosoft user-friendly WMV format using a third-party video conversion
    program.

Source(s):

Video Playback & Audio Streaming FAQ for the Xbox 360
Thema:

1. Does the Media Player App support H.264 MKV video files for now? - Similar Threads - Does Media Player

2. Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.

in XboX Insiders
    Does Microsoft even care? Quality across the board is horrendous.: Ive seen countless consumer feedback negatively reviewing microsoft and xbox as a brand nowadays. The UI is uninspired, continuously redundant, and filled with ads to the point that it’s ugly and...
  3. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  4. when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?

in XBoX on Windows
    when you complete a task in minecraft but does not give a code what do you do?: I did these tasks that give you items and minecoins but I did not get the coins it has? bb87f0b9-be24-4578-9c20-4e75c285374b
  5. Does limited warranty cover any case damage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does limited warranty cover any case damage?: The bottom panel and back panel broke off my xbox series s and its causing massive overheating and i cant play any games or even watch youtube for that matter. Does limited warranty cover this?...
  6. Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006

in XBoX on Windows
    Does clearing a cache in 2024 for a 360 resolve the error code 80151006: So recently set up my old 360 and ran into the error code 80151006 I found a old post from 2013 saying to clear your cache I was wondering if that would still apply now in 2024 or would there be...
  7. My xbox keeps disconecting me from virgin media does anyone know how to fix this

in XBoX Accessibility
    My xbox keeps disconecting me from virgin media does anyone know how to fix this: My xbox series x keeps disconecting me from virgin media and multi player does anyone know how to fix this issue. 7339beda-3336-43b2-9fc1-d30f4714b04b
  8. Does anyone know why media playback controls (through mobile and voice command) don't work...

in XBoX on Windows
    Does anyone know why media playback controls (through mobile and voice command) don't work...: Media controls (both through google assistant and mobile app) will not work with paramount plus on Xbox. Does anyone know why? c3624f1e-a08a-45c2-be39-1fda9e8618ba
  9. Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player: I put in my hp ssd p500 but my xbox reads it as a media player. I wanted to use the ssd as a gigabyte expansion. c016e10d-6337-4924-b2f7-cd883d0d04d1
  10. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b