Do I need Live Gold to play online? Or does Live Free work?

Discus and support Do I need Live Gold to play online? Or does Live Free work? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; For years I have been paying for Live Gold to play Fortnite multiplayer. Tonight, I heard about Live Free/Silver. Some websites say you can play... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Jonathan Blackley, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Do I need Live Gold to play online? Or does Live Free work?

For years I have been paying for Live Gold to play Fortnite multiplayer. Tonight, I heard about Live Free/Silver. Some websites say you can play Fortnite with Xbox Live Free. Others say you must have Live Gold. Which is it?

What about Minecraft? Do I need Gold to play it online?

Both questions are for my Xbox One.

:)

Jonathan Blackley, Nov 21, 2022
  2. Smwutches Win User

You need Gold to play online in games that are paid for, but free-to-play games like Fortnite can be played without Gold. Minecraft would need Gold since it's not a free-to-play game.
  3. MBazsa2005 Win User

14-days Live code not working for GTA V

Trial codes don't change your account status to gold and do not work with all games or game modes.
    Hi, Thanks! But what does this mean in practice? Or how can I find out whether it is working with GTA V?

Do we need a gold status to play online? What is the point of the free live code?
  4. TragicSkies Win User

Playing 2k14 online

Hello Micken521,

This means that you need to have Xbox Live Gold Membership to play online. You currently have a free Silver Membership. Gold does cost money and it is required to play all games online, and is also required for most apps to work as well.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
  5. Julian_ Win User

Minecraft na Xbox 360 problem z logowaniem online. -[Translation - Minecraft for Xbox 360 problem with online login.]

Hi! The person/account who wants to play online does need Xbox Live Gold in order to do so (as Xbox Live Gold is required for online gaming).
  6. wi7bit Win User

I gave my old xbox one to my friend and when we try to play online it asks him to download Game Pass Ultimate.

Hi Jorden

Just to add some clarity to this...

Any 'Free to play' game (e.g. Rocket Leage, Fortnite etc.) do not require the Xbox Gold subscription to play online. Games that are not free-to-play (i.e. Grounded) will require Xbox Live Gold to play online. Although you can play games with Game Pass, it does not make them free to play online.

Your friend will either need to have Xbox Live Gold or convert his Game Pass subscription to Game Pass Ultimate, which includes both.

Hope that helps.
Thema:

1. Do I need Live Gold to play online? Or does Live Free work? - Similar Threads - need Live Gold

2. I need a refund for Xbox live gold charge. How can I get a refund?

in XBoX on Windows
    I need a refund for Xbox live gold charge. How can I get a refund?: I need a refund for Xbox live gold charge $59.00 because I have not had a gaming account for two years. a476b7eb-1748-4709-9174-f3071b2ce514
  3. do i need to have an x-box live account to access the gold and diamond keys in borderlands 3

in XBoX Games and Apps
    do i need to have an x-box live account to access the gold and diamond keys in borderlands 3: would very much like to know if i can get the golden and diamond keys in borderlands 3 just by progressing in the game, or do i need an x-box live account, 6a959c65-0ce2-4cbc-873e-18266d3b5e11
  4. I can not sign into Remant 2 , it says I need xbox live gold. But I have ultimate game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can not sign into Remant 2 , it says I need xbox live gold. But I have ultimate game pass: I can not play Remnant 2 , it won't let me login . Says I need xbox live gold. But I have ultimate game pass c0926a84-7c92-4e5b-81ac-675b788f4aba
  5. I need Xbox live gold to play ONLINE minecraft but I have Xbox live?

in XBoX on Windows
    I need Xbox live gold to play ONLINE minecraft but I have Xbox live?: Hi, so I own minecraft and I share live gold with someone but the problem is I still need Xbox live gold? I don't pay for it but I have It and It still won't let me play online. I tried...
  6. i have xbox live gold but when i try open rainbow six seige it says you may need to renew...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i have xbox live gold but when i try open rainbow six seige it says you may need to renew...: i have xbox live gold but when i try open rainbow six seige it says you may need to renew your game pass even tho it’s still current what do i do? 078dbd88-dbc6-42f1-b5e4-f7eae839ba33
  7. Do i need the xbox gamepass or the xbox live gold to play gta online? (i have the physical...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do i need the xbox gamepass or the xbox live gold to play gta online? (i have the physical...: Do i need the xbox gamepass or the xbox live gold to play gta online? (i have the physical copy) 07d9a1dc-bdad-4783-b9d8-2b622dfe6663
  8. Do I need Live Gold to play with my friend on minecraft, (Both are on Xbox)?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Do I need Live Gold to play with my friend on minecraft, (Both are on Xbox)?: Hello, I want to play minecraft with a friend but we do not have live gold. My friend and I are both on a Xbox device and want to play together, Is Live gold mandatory?...
  9. Do I need 2 gold live accounts?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do I need 2 gold live accounts?: My son and I both have Xbox consoles and we both have a gold live account( His is under my wife’s email). Can we play fortnite for example simultaneously with one account or do I need to keep 2...
  10. It says "Looks like you need to renew xbox live gold or xbox game pass ultimate" when I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    It says "Looks like you need to renew xbox live gold or xbox game pass ultimate" when I...: I'm trying to play a game I haven't played in a few years but when I decided to play it, it comes up with a problem. It wants me to renew my memberships although they have already been renewed and...