Do digital downloads need internet data in order to be installed?

Discus and support Do digital downloads need internet data in order to be installed? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I just got the Gears of War Ultimate Edition Bundle and was wondering if the installation process (of the game) is taking data from my internet data... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ManicRaider, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ManicRaider
    ManicRaider Guest

I just got the Gears of War Ultimate Edition Bundle and was wondering if the installation process (of the game) is taking data from my internet data usage as it's installing.

:)

ManicRaider, Jan 3, 2016
  2. SPITFIRE-SIX
    SPITFIRE-SIX Guest
    Question on downloaded games

When you purchase digital property it downloads to your harddrive and you do not need to be connected to the internet to access your content. You need internet only for internet only games.

SPITFIRE-SIX, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Halo 5: Guardians (Digital) It's been a year and I still can't download this game

It's been over a year since I purchased Halo 5: Guardians(Digital) and I still haven't been able to download it to my Xbox one. The data limit for my internet is too low for me to download all of Halo 5: Guardians(Digital). I tried to download
    some of it each month, but the download keeps restarting from 0%. I can't afford anymore data for my internet plan and data ain't cheap. So is there another way to download my game to my xbox one without purchasing a physical copy or continuing to try to download
    it over the Internet? I am dying to play this game.

Vader of Death, Jan 3, 2016
  4. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest

If it has completed downloading and is just installing it shouldn't be using internet bandwidth. After it has installed and it then needs to download an update it would use additional internet bandwidth. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

{Parity}, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Yes it would. The whole game needs to be downloaded in order for you to play it, regardless of whether you want to only play Single Player or not. I believe the total download is 44.4GB.

If this presents a problem, you can cancel the download. You can either take your console to somewhere that does not have have a download limit on their connection or you can install the game from a disc, if you know someone with the disc version. If you
    install the disc version, be sure that you connect to Xbox Live after the install. You won't need to download anything and Xbox Live will know that you have the digital version and will let you play without the disc.

Obsessive Power, Jan 3, 2016
  6. ManicRaider
    ManicRaider Guest
    @Genesis1953 - After reading your post I tested it. Yesterday it only got up to 5% before I turned the console off. Today it went up to 6% and took 700 MB. I made sure that I nor anyone else was doing anything that drains a significant amount of data. Maybe
    people with good internet just don't notice. Or something was draining the data and just coincidentally stopped when I turned the console off again.

@Obsessive Power - Thanks for letting me know.

ManicRaider, Jan 3, 2016
  7. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    I'm sorry. I guess I didn't understand what you were asking. It appears to me that you were in fact downloading the game and was at 5% when you shut it off and when you restarted it simply picked up the download at where it left off. What am I not understanding?

Maybe this link will help to clarify the process.

support.xbox.com/.../install-games

{Parity}, Jan 3, 2016
  8. ManicRaider
    ManicRaider Guest

That's my fault. I always thought that downloading something affected your internet bandwidth and installing it only affected the hard drive of whatever device you're using. But in this case downloading and installing mean the same thing I guess. I don't
    know. All I know is that when it was installing, I was loosing megabytes and they're way too low to risk trying to download a game.

ManicRaider, Jan 3, 2016
  9. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Do you have a low monthly data cap? That can definitely be a problem with the size of games these days.

{Parity}, Jan 3, 2016
  10. ManicRaider
    ManicRaider Guest
    Yup. Ironically I switched to another provider to save money, but in the end I should've stayed with my old provider because I'm paying around the same for crappier service. So I'm stuck with this lame service until my contract is up.

ManicRaider, Jan 3, 2016
  11. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Yeah, that is too bad! Good Luck!

{Parity}, Oct 31, 2018
  12. ManicRaider Win User

Yup. Ironically I switched to another provider to save money, but in the end I should've stayed with my old provider because I'm paying around the same for crappier service. So I'm stuck with this lame service until my contract is up.
  13. {Parity} Win User

Do you have a low monthly data cap? That can definitely be a problem with the size of games these days.
  14. ManicRaider Win User

@Genesis1953 - After reading your post I tested it. Yesterday it only got up to 5% before I turned the console off. Today it went up to 6% and took 700 MB. I made sure that I nor anyone else was doing anything that drains a significant amount of data. Maybe
    people with good internet just don't notice. Or something was draining the data and just coincidentally stopped when I turned the console off again.

@Obsessive Power - Thanks for letting me know.
  15. {Parity} Win User

If it has completed downloading and is just installing it shouldn't be using internet bandwidth. After it has installed and it then needs to download an update it would use additional internet bandwidth. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  16. ManicRaider Win User

That's my fault. I always thought that downloading something affected your internet bandwidth and installing it only affected the hard drive of whatever device you're using. But in this case downloading and installing mean the same thing I guess. I don't
    know. All I know is that when it was installing, I was loosing megabytes and they're way too low to risk trying to download a game.
Thema:

1. Do digital downloads need internet data in order to be installed? - Similar Threads - digital downloads need

2. How come skate 2 is not available for EA play or just digital download?

in XboX Insiders
    How come skate 2 is not available for EA play or just digital download?: I have 1 and 3 just not 2 and I grew up with the second skate game. submitted by /u/Tiabetianquailudes [link] [comments]
  3. I have asked for a refund for a digital download. I never received. Please advise.

in XBoX on Windows
    I have asked for a refund for a digital download. I never received. Please advise.: I have asked for A Refund 4 digital download that I have never received. I have went through the proper channels. Still have not received my refund. Please advise. LouderRefund 4 digital download...
  4. Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy -

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy -: Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy - disc doesn’t want to finish downloading so I bough 1 in the Xbox store and does exactly the same thing stops at...
  5. Please add "The Warriors" XBox game by Rockstar games for digital download on the Microsoft...

in XboX Insiders
    Please add "The Warriors" XBox game by Rockstar games for digital download on the Microsoft...: Hello, I'd like to request to please add "The Warriors" XBox game by Rockstar games for digital download on the Microsoft Store. This game is a classic! & I'm sure XBox fanatics would go crazy...
  6. I entered a digital code on my pc to redeem the game but unable to download it on Xboxone...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I entered a digital code on my pc to redeem the game but unable to download it on Xboxone...: I purchased a digital code for Halo Infinity xbox from Ebay and entered a digital code on my pc to redeem the game under my Microsoft account. and my purchase history shows the code has been...
  7. Can I download my digital games on another console?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I download my digital games on another console?: I have xbox series s. Can I download my games to a separate console? fca4f4c0-19f6-4535-ba09-7b86e2d4b6ff
  8. received the content. I brought it though xbox store I have the digital download any ideas ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    received the content. I brought it though xbox store I have the digital download any ideas ?: I recently brought cod mwIII vault upgrade but I haven't recipe the content. I brought it though xbox store I own the digital game any ideas on how to get my stuff I paid for ??...
  9. Unable to MSFS digital ownership version in order history, can't re-download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to MSFS digital ownership version in order history, can't re-download: I purchased MSFS in DEC of 2022 and installed and played it for several months. I deleted it to clear up space. When I went to go back and install it from XBOX, I couldn't find my purchase. I...
  10. I downloaded a digital code to live but need it on gamepass. Can i move it?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I downloaded a digital code to live but need it on gamepass. Can i move it?: I downloaded a digital code to live but need it on gamepass. Can i move it? 2189ec76-5b0e-41be-9ecf-c21e59727685