DNS settings not saving

Discus and support DNS settings not saving in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Ever since the update on 12/9/15 my DNS settings will not save. How do I fix this? I already tried turning my crap Centurylink gateway into bridged... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Frail7, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest

DNS settings not saving

Ever since the update on 12/9/15 my DNS settings will not save. How do I fix this? I already tried turning my crap Centurylink gateway into bridged mode and used a Cisco business router to do all the work. This was great for a day playing Battlefront, but
    it jacked the TV signal for Centurylink. They said I can't bridge their modem. So now it's back to XBOX to fix their crap with not saving my DNS settings. What do I do? Thanks.

:)

Frail7, Dec 20, 2015
  2. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    Everything is offline!

I don't suppose any of you have tried changing your DNS settings?

It's a long shot but years ago I couldn't connect to the servers on Final Fantasy XI online on the 360.

It turned out that the game didn't like my ISP's DNS servers.

I changed the DNS in the xbox 360 settings and the game started working.

Maybe you could try that?

go into the x1 settings app, find the network settings then advanced. Change the DNS settings to manual then enter a different DNS server.

Try entering the googleDNS settings. for primary enter 8.8.8.8 and secondary enter 8.8.4.4. After saving and doing the network test you should restart the console then try Halo again.

I don't know if halo 5 goes through DNS to get the servers IP or not but it wont do any hard trying. If it doesn't work you can just switch the DNS back to automatic.

Malacath, Dec 20, 2015
  3. Amazon prime app with received

I had the same error keep popping up. when stream video to xbox one, I got error MP1032. I had to make sure my nat type was open. Then went into advanced settings on network and checked ip address and primary/secondary DNS. I changed DNS setting to manual
    and put 8.8.8.8 in primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 in secondary Dns. I changed power setting to energy saving and then use B button to back out of settings to save. I held in the power button on console until it turned off, left it 10 seconds then powered xbox back
    up. Went back into settings to make sure the DNs had saved. after doing this amazon and youtube worked. You could try this.

EvilRetrobution, Dec 20, 2015
  4. DNS settings not saving

why would bridging the gateway mess up the tv ? does the tv signal also come from the gateway ?

RobertBuckalew, Dec 21, 2015
  5. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest
    Yes, it's Prism TV. The TV worked when the modem was bridged, but would "lose signal" every 2 minutes, which was 'fixed' by changing the channel.

Frail7, Dec 22, 2015
  6. Well if the xbox was fine while in passthrough or "bridge" mode , then the problem lies in the gateway part ...can you give them back the gateway and just get a plain modem from them (with tv , without gateway ) and then use the other router that you said
    worked?

RobertBuckalew, Dec 22, 2015
  7. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest
    Not sure, they were 100% worthless last time I talked to them. It might be worth a shot.

The problem is that I didn't have any issues until the update on 12/9. Before that everything was fine. So the only variable that changed was the microsoft update...but, somehow it's my ISP's fault...

Frail7, Dec 22, 2015
  8. DNS settings not saving

not their fault , and no doubt the update did something to gateway style routers , you might have luck if you restore that gateway to factory defaults , and try wired if your wireless and visa versa ...but if the cisco worked , it pretty much tells you that
    the gateway isn't handling something as well as the cisco did ...

9. I'm still not sure how that works though , does the tv plug into the gateway ? what kind of cable ?

10. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest
    The Centruylink gateway/router is first in line. Then the TV/DVR set top box plugs into the gateway/router.

I see your point about the Cisco router doing the job right. I think the problem is that Century splits my 40MBps connection when it comes into the house and gives a dedicated 20MBps to the TV and lets the internet have the rest. I'm assuming the Cisco wasn't
    giving the TV the dedicated 20MBps, or at least not in the format it wanted.

Frail7, Dec 22, 2015
  11. You may just have to call them and see if they can/will give you a different one to try , did you try going from wired to wireless on the xbox ? or the other way around ?

12. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest
    I had already tried going from wired to wireless. No luck.

Frail7, Dec 22, 2015
  13. Frail7
    Frail7 Guest

DNS settings not saving

Called both of these worthless companies.

Xbox: Uh...dont' plug the power cord into a surge protector?

Me: What??? That's a thing? You know I highly doubt my $500 surge protector is the issue but I'll give it a try. No help.

Xbox: Uh....Factory Reset?

Me: Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding me!

Xbox: We're not, we have no idea what the hell us to do.

Me: *** you all. Ok, I'll try. NOPE, no help at all. I get to reinstall HOURS of games though. Woohoo!

Centurylink: MTU? What's that?

Me: It's on the router YOU gave me, it won't change.

Cenurylink: Uh....We don't support that.

Me: You don't support your own router???

Centurylink: Nope. You should probably call Xbox.

Me: *** you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frail7, Oct 31, 2018
  14. Frail7 Win User

DNS settings not saving

I had already tried going from wired to wireless. No luck.
  15. Frail7 Win User

DNS settings not saving

The Centruylink gateway/router is first in line. Then the TV/DVR set top box plugs into the gateway/router.

I see your point about the Cisco router doing the job right. I think the problem is that Century splits my 40MBps connection when it comes into the house and gives a dedicated 20MBps to the TV and lets the internet have the rest. I'm assuming the Cisco wasn't
    giving the TV the dedicated 20MBps, or at least not in the format it wanted.
  16. RobertBuckalew Win User

DNS settings not saving

not their fault , and no doubt the update did something to gateway style routers , you might have luck if you restore that gateway to factory defaults , and try wired if your wireless and visa versa ...but if the cisco worked , it pretty much tells you that
    the gateway isn't handling something as well as the cisco did ...
  17. Frail7 Win User

DNS settings not saving

Not sure, they were 100% worthless last time I talked to them. It might be worth a shot.

The problem is that I didn't have any issues until the update on 12/9. Before that everything was fine. So the only variable that changed was the microsoft update...but, somehow it's my ISP's fault...
  18. Frail7 Win User

DNS settings not saving

Called both of these worthless companies.

Xbox: Uh...dont' plug the power cord into a surge protector?

Me: What??? That's a thing? You know I highly doubt my $500 surge protector is the issue but I'll give it a try. No help.

Xbox: Uh....Factory Reset?

Me: Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding me!

Xbox: We're not, we have no idea what the hell us to do.

Me: *** you all. Ok, I'll try. NOPE, no help at all. I get to reinstall HOURS of games though. Woohoo!

Centurylink: MTU? What's that?

Me: It's on the router YOU gave me, it won't change.

Cenurylink: Uh....We don't support that.

Me: You don't support your own router???

Centurylink: Nope. You should probably call Xbox.

Me: *** you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thema:

DNS settings not saving

1. DNS settings not saving - Similar Threads - DNS settings saving

2. DNS error 80151903 on xbox360

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS error 80151903 on xbox360: I keep getting a dns error when testing connecting WiFi this is my first time and when I turn Xbox on it says the 80151903 3237def7-6908-4517-aef8-73335ac9f7cf
  3. Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.: So I turned on my xbox and found it shows as offline. "Forgot" my wifi, and reset the network. Hard rebooted xbox. Power cycled xbox and router. Checked router settings (no issues), tried...
  4. xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error: Hello there, whenever i try to connect my xbox 360 to the internet, it gives me a message saying "dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names". It connects to my router when testing the...
  5. I am on 270 ms and I don't know why. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my dns setting but I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am on 270 ms and I don't know why. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my dns setting but I...: Please reply if you know anything to help my lag issues 40196061-8ff9-419a-b924-44e03e6c880d
  6. after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away

in XBoX on Consoles
    after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away: i was having trouble downloading GTA V which i saw a lot of people do and someone said to clear local saved games in settings in which i did, i then booted up my xbox series X to find my...
  7. Dns error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dns error: Why it's keep showing me dns error I've been trying to fix it like an hour but can't be fix and i still can't go to xbox live pls help me 0a4acdac-ca1d-415a-95e3-391b20e54f2a
  8. DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names.: DNS Error, Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox Live server names. I have an old Xbox 360 that connects to the network via internet cable, but it wont connect to the internet, the main error i have...
  9. how do I get a disc installed on series X, after resetting and changing DNS to 8888,8844?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how do I get a disc installed on series X, after resetting and changing DNS to 8888,8844?: I've reset console and tried the well published DNS fix for installing games from a disc. I'm going to see if I can transfer from Xbox One, but would still have the problems for new games....
  10. How do I set the Dns number to set on my. Xbox 1

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I set the Dns number to set on my. Xbox 1: I have a problem with my xbox 1... The xbox isn't connecting with my house wireless Internet. The xbox is asking for the Dns... But I can't seem to find it.. I have contacted hard wire into...