DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names

Discus and support DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I keep getting the above error message when trying to connect to my WiFi on my Xbox series s. I have now connected with a wired connection and I am... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RH1_28., Nov 10, 2021.

1. RH1_28.
    RH1_28. Guest

Hi, I keep getting the above error message when trying to connect to my WiFi on my Xbox series s. I have now connected with a wired connection and I am still getting the same message.

I have tried all the suggested solutions (reset router and Xbox, set manual dns adress etc) and nothing is working. Does anyone know how to solve this please. From my understanding this shouldn’t be an issue when using a wired connection.

:)

RH1_28., Nov 10, 2021
  2. Geri M. Win User

DNS isn’t resolving server names???

Hi Dom710,

We haven't heard from you for 72 hours, so we assume the issue has already been resolved. We will not monitor this thread going forward, so if you need further assistance, click this link to create a new thread to discuss these issues. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Tita Lendvai Win User

i have tried the dns n changed the manual with the numbers i seen n its saying can’t get up address what do i do?
  4. Geri M. Win User

Hi Dom710,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

Let us check on this together and sort this out to assist your concern. We can try to start fixing it by following troubleshooting steps.

Restart the Xbox console and router:

1. First, try restarting your Xbox One and router. Unplug your router.
    2. Turn the Xbox console on.
    3. Press and hold the Xbox button on the gamepad.
    4. Select the Restart console and Restart options.
    5. Wait for about five minutes. Then plug the router back in.

Change the DNS to Google DNS:

Some users have said they’ve fixed the DNS is not resolving Xbox server names error by changing their DNS to Google. To do that on the Xbox One:

1. Turn the console on.
    2. Select Settings on the console’s menu.
    3. Then select Network to open the options shown directly below.
    4. Select Advanced settings > DNS settings.
    5. Select Manual to open the Primary DNS boxes shown directly below.
    6. Enter 8 in each one of the four Primary DNS text boxes. Thus, the full number entered across all four boxes will be 8888.
    7. Press the Enter button on the input keyboard.
    8. For the secondary DNS, enter 8844 as in the snapshot directly below.
    9. Press B to save the changed DNS settings. Thereafter, it will check your connection and hopefully display a Your console is connected to the internet message.

Reset your router:

The DNS is not resolving Xbox server names error might be due to your router’s settings, which you can reset. To reset the router, look for the reset button at the back of it. You’ll usually need something like a pin or paperclip to press the Reset button with. Press the button for about 10 seconds to reset the router.

Note, however, that resetting a router will also remove internet provider settings; so you might have to reconnect devices.

Change your WiFi channel width to 20Mhz

1. Selecting the 20Mhz channel width for your router is another potential resolution for the Xbox DNS server names error if that’s not its current channel width. To do that, press the Windows key and R keyboard shortcut to launch Run.
    2. Enter cmd in Run and click OK.
    3. Enter ipconfig in the command prompt and press the Return key.
    4. Note down the Default Gateway number.
    5. Open a browser.
    6. Enter your Default Gateway number in the URL bar, and press the Return key.
      Open the wireless settings within your router’s configuration page.
    7. Select 20Mhz on the Channel Width drop-down menu, which is the most preferable setting for the Xbox One.

We hope it worked out well for you. If not, please reply back to this forum to let us know so we could find other options to resolve the problem.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. XBF Leo G Win User

Xbox isn’t resolving DNS server names

Hello JonRaguse,

Thanks for posting on the Xbox forums. We understand that your console is not connecting to your network due to a DNS error. We have a support article that provides

troubleshooting for this specific error message
    . Be sure to let us know the results
    JonRaguse!
  6. acceratorz Win User

DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names!!!!!

change the primary DNS address to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS address to 8.8.4.4
Thema:

1. DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names - Similar Threads - DNS isn’t resolving

2. Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox error DNS isn't resolving Xbox Server Names.: So I turned on my xbox and found it shows as offline. "Forgot" my wifi, and reset the network. Hard rebooted xbox. Power cycled xbox and router. Checked router settings (no issues), tried...
  3. xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names error: Hello there, whenever i try to connect my xbox 360 to the internet, it gives me a message saying "dns servers cannot resolve xbox live server names". It connects to my router when testing the...
  4. I am on 270 ms and I don't know why. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my dns setting but I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am on 270 ms and I don't know why. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my dns setting but I...: Please reply if you know anything to help my lag issues 40196061-8ff9-419a-b924-44e03e6c880d
  5. after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away

in XBoX on Consoles
    after selecting "Clear local saved games" i got a DNS error that won't go away: i was having trouble downloading GTA V which i saw a lot of people do and someone said to clear local saved games in settings in which i did, i then booted up my xbox series X to find my...
  6. dns isn’t resolving xbox server names

in XBoX on Consoles
    dns isn’t resolving xbox server names: so i can’t play online games because it keeps saying “DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names” and i’ve already tried restarting the router, hard resetting the xbox, and changing the dns setting...
  7. DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names.

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names.: The suggested solution is to unplug router or modem from power for 30 seconds then plug in and try again, but i cant unplug either because i don’t have access to either (i live in student housing...
  8. DNS isn’t resolving server names???

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS isn’t resolving server names???: I have tried everything that I could find and would appreciate the help so much but for a month and a half I’ve had dns problems and could temporarily fix is with manual ones or back to auto or...
  9. Xbox isn’t resolving DNS server names

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox isn’t resolving DNS server names: Ok, so without loosing internet connection my xbox homescreened me saying i wasnt logged into xbox live anymore, and for the past WEEK i have been unable to log in and use the gold time i have...
  10. DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names!!!!!

in XboX Networking Hardware
    DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names!!!!!: DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names!!!!! If youre on a hotspot, don't even bother. Its your hotspot. Otherwise, your internet is having an issue, and that can usually be fixed by creating a dmz...