Distorted audio with either 5.1 or dts

Discus and support Distorted audio with either 5.1 or dts in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello. I have an odd issue with my Xbox One. If it is powered off for a while (sometimes as quickly as overnight) when I start the console up the audio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by kenfuM13, Jan 4, 2014.

1. kenfuM13
    kenfuM13 Guest

Hello. I have an odd issue with my Xbox One. If it is powered off for a while (sometimes as quickly as overnight) when I start the console up the audio is horribly distorted. It sounds like listening to a mix of what the audio should sound like and a digital
    signal that hasn't been decoded. I will try to provide a bit of information:

• Connection: HDMI to my receiver, HDMI to TV from receiver. Speakers are directly connected to receiver, TV audio is disabled.
    • Power - I have tried changing the settings so that:
    • It powers off completely
    • It only goes to instant on
    • It will power up the reciever and tv, with both completely off and instant on.
    • It will not power up the receiver and tv, with both completely off and instant on.
    • Audio
    • I have tried leaving it in Dolby 5.1 and DTS. Both formats will experience the same distortion.
    • TV
    • I have tried both enabling/disabling auto detect TV
    • I have no cable or other inputs going into the xbox, receiver, or tv.
    • Cables
    • The HDMI cable from Xbox to receiver and the cable going from receiver to TV are monster HDMI 3' cables, brand new.
    • I have tried swapping the cables with other HDMI cables from my comupter, and can say that the cables work fine.
    The interesting part is that when I start my xbox and the audio comes on distorted, if I go into the audio settings and change the audio, it will work fine. For example, if it is set up in DTS, I can change it to 5.1, and it will work, and then back to DTS
    and it will work fine. If it is in 5.1 and is distorted, I can change it to DTS and then back to 5.1 and it will work fine.

Kind of frustrated with MS support. They keep telling me all kinds of things, like digital surround isn't supported on the xbox one (?!) even though I have been using DTS surround; that I need to switch to stereo or 5.1 uncompressed because my receiver is
    incompatible with DTS; that I need to try replacing my cables....

Regretting the xbox purchase a bit.

:)

kenfuM13, Jan 4, 2014
  2. Dolby Digital crackling

mines actually opposite..more distorted using DTS in headset or with 5.1 surround sound receiver.

U Go 6 FT BeLOW, Jan 4, 2014
  3. Udo2C
    Udo2C Guest
    5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One

Using bitstream causes audio lag for me with either dolby or DTS. Using stereo or 5.1 uncompressed fixes this issue. However, 5.1 uncompressed has the same issues as noted above. I am left with having to use stereo sound.

Udo2C, Jan 4, 2014
  4. U Go 6 FT BeLOW Win User

Dolby Digital crackling

mines actually opposite..more distorted using DTS in headset or with 5.1 surround sound receiver.
  5. Udo2C Win User

Using bitstream causes audio lag for me with either dolby or DTS. Using stereo or 5.1 uncompressed fixes this issue. However, 5.1 uncompressed has the same issues as noted above. I am left with having to use stereo sound.
  6. SiBox3000 Win User

XBOX ONE audio question (Center Speaker)

Have you tried setting the audio to "uncompressed 5.1" or to "DTS" in the settings? It might default to stereo.
  7. Koop10010 Win User

You need to select bitstream audio over HDMI, not 5.1 uncompressed. The optical cable you are running from your TV to the amp can only carry compressed surround sound, like Dolby or DTS. Optical cables only have the bandwidth for uncompressed audio in
    2 channels, aka stereo. If your TV is only sending the front speakers out of the 5.1 mix, that would be why you hear all kinds of background noise and not people speaking. Picking either DTS or Dolby should solve this problem.
  8. BobMcFly247 Win User

Bitstream DTS reported as 5.1 not 7.1

Maybe it's the Blu Ray only providing DTS in 5.1 Are the provided audio formats listed on the Blu Ray?
Thema:

1. Distorted audio with either 5.1 or dts - Similar Threads - Distorted audio either

2. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues: I’m having a bit of an issue I can’t figure out. I have an Xbox seires X, Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller, Xbox Wired Headset and I consistently get audio distortion/glitching/popping through my...
  3. Certain applications cause distortion when they launch PC games that are part of Game Pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Certain applications cause distortion when they launch PC games that are part of Game Pass: Certain applications cause distortion when they launch PC games that are part of Game Pass. The other applications' audio is distorted and sounds bad when I launch a gamepass game on my PC,...
  4. Xbox Game Bar Clip Audio Distorted & Choppy On Windows 11

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Bar Clip Audio Distorted & Choppy On Windows 11: My clip's video and audio of others in discord + ingame are fine. My microphone for some reason is the only one distorted in the clip. It is not distorted on discord or in the game and my friends...
  5. Xbox Game Bar records game audio as bassy, crackling, and distorted.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Bar records game audio as bassy, crackling, and distorted.: Hello! I've recently started to record clips of Destiny 2 on Xbox Game Bar and the in-game audio of the clip is heavily distorted. I have my bluetooth earbuds and wired mic set up to the proper...
  6. Game and pc audio is distorted and unchangeable when in Xbox game bar party

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game and pc audio is distorted and unchangeable when in Xbox game bar party: So basically, when I join an Xbox game bar party, my audio in a game or another application is distorted. This audio distortion also happens when I launch specific games like sea of thieves and...
  7. Xbox Wireless Headset has random moments where the audio gets very distorted, then stops,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Headset has random moments where the audio gets very distorted, then stops,...: Hi, I just bought the Starfield version of the Xbox Wireless Headset. I really want to like it, but my experience has been downright abysmal since I started using it with my PC. First, I tried...
  8. Everytime I launch a multiplayer game through PC game pass, the audio gets very distorted

in XBoX on Consoles
    Everytime I launch a multiplayer game through PC game pass, the audio gets very distorted: Hi, I currently have a custom built PC and am using PC Game Pass for most of my games, but every time I launch a multiplayer game like sea of thieves, my audio shoots up to max when it was...
  9. Strange audio crackling and any in game sounds sound far away or distorted how to fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Strange audio crackling and any in game sounds sound far away or distorted how to fix?: Hi, so I've been having this problem whenever I play a game that I have downloaded through the Xbox game pass app where the audio always sounds far away and there is a faint crackling sound. It is...
  10. Prof. Answer needed: Win11 Xbox GameBar Party Voice Audio Chat choppy and distorted

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Prof. Answer needed: Win11 Xbox GameBar Party Voice Audio Chat choppy and distorted: Hello everybody, I'm here for advice of how to solve my problem (which is like a riddle from the Greek mythology and only the Best can succeed). I have a full modern Win11-PC with all the...