Disk drive increasingly has trouble recognizing that a Blu Ray or DVD has been inserted

Discus and support Disk drive increasingly has trouble recognizing that a Blu Ray or DVD has been inserted in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; It recognizes game discs just fine. However, any Blu Ray or DVD that I insert usually gets a few burst of a sort of soft grinding noise, before it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by moreCOWBELL247, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Disk drive increasingly has trouble recognizing that a Blu Ray or DVD has been inserted

It recognizes game discs just fine. However, any Blu Ray or DVD that I insert usually gets a few burst of a sort of soft grinding noise, before it settles down and pretends like nothing has been inserted. Even if I select the Blu Ray App and try to play
    it from there, it just tells me I still need to insert a disc.

I've tried doing a hard reset before insertion (sorry, that just sounds naughty), but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I will usually try standing there, inserting and ejecting the disc over and over about 20 times before I hear a smooth whirring
    (the kind that it ALWAYS makes when I put a game disc in) and it'll register the movie's actually in there and it'll start playing.

I would think its a drive issue, but all my game discs consistently work fine on the first try. Does anyone have any insight?

Honestly, I'd hate to have to send my Xbox One in for repairs; my entire family practically depends on it by now and it'd be very hard to do without.

:)

moreCOWBELL247, Jun 5, 2015
  2. SkyeADG
    SkyeADG Guest
    Blu Ray discs won't play (I've no regular DVDs so I'm not sure about those)

I have a relatively new (December purchase) 1TB XB One that sometime in the past three weeks has stopped playing Blu Ray disks. I have tried three different movies, with the same result: "We're having trouble reading this. Makes sure it's a Blu-ray or
    DVD.". The error code is 0x91d70000. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Blu-Ray player. Games play just fine.

SkyeADG, Jun 5, 2015
  3. bowski477
    bowski477 Guest
    Xbox hardware improvements

If the next xbox uses blu ray disks there will be no more need for disk changing. When the original xbox 360 launched the battle between HD DVD and Blu Ray was still going on. When HD DVD lost, Xbox discontinued that disk drive.

-

As for the noise, if you install the disk to the hard drive there is no noise.

bowski477, Jun 5, 2015
  4. GreedFeed Win User

Xbox One will play Blu-ray movies but not DVD movies

I do indeed have the Blu-ray player app installed, it will recognize and play a Blu-ray without a problem but it will not play any DVDs I have inserted, I have tried several, all scratch free. Do I have a bad drive?
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X recognizes no backwards compatible 360-disc / triggers no download

Hi,

Sounds like the laser in your console's Blu-ray drive has a hardware issue.

To test if your Xbox One X has issues reading discs, try playing a DVD movie disc. If can't read DVD movie discs either then your console has a hardware fault.

Note: It must be a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray movie disc.

There are two lasers in the Blu-ray drive, one for reading Blu-ray discs and one for DVD discs. Xbox One games use Blu-ray and the 360 console used a DVD drive.
  6. bowski477 Win User

Xbox hardware improvements

If the next xbox uses blu ray disks there will be no more need for disk changing. When the original xbox 360 launched the battle between HD DVD and Blu Ray was still going on. When HD DVD lost, Xbox discontinued that disk drive.

-

As for the noise, if you install the disk to the hard drive there is no noise.
  7. Obsessive Power Win User

0x8082000c, Can't play Xbox 360 Games

Hi,

Verify that your consoles drive is functioning. Try playing a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray disc.

If your console will not play DVD then the drive has hardware fault.

There are two lasers in the blu-ray drive. One for reading DVD and Xbox 360 games and another for Xbox One and Blu-ray discs.
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

Cannot play Backwards-Compatible Xbox 360 Disks On Xbox One S

Hi,

The Xbox One has a Blu-ray drive. Inside this drive are diodes, these diodes emit lasers to read discs. Xbox One games are on Blu-ray disc and this uses a different Diode to Xbox 360 discs which use DVD discs.

The Diode that is used to read Xbox 360 discs and DVD's has failed. This is why Xbox 360 discs and DVD discs are not working when you insert them into your console.

This is not something you can repair yourself. You'll need to set up a repair with Microsoft to fix it.
Thema:

Disk drive increasingly has trouble recognizing that a Blu Ray or DVD has been inserted

1. Disk drive increasingly has trouble recognizing that a Blu Ray or DVD has been inserted - Similar Threads - Disk drive increasingly

2. I do have the current Xbox Series X with the disk drive will I need the Digital Xbox Series...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I do have the current Xbox Series X with the disk drive will I need the Digital Xbox Series...: I do have current Xbox Series X with the disk drive and I can play digitally and physically on the two way on it. The Digital Xbox Series X will to be announced in June and to be released in the...
  3. Will the next xbox have a disk drive?

in XBoX on Windows
    Will the next xbox have a disk drive?: I hope Xbox does not get rid of the disk drive. If that is the case I know for a fact that the Xbox series x will be my last system. I collect my physical media. 2972ae98-efe9-489b-9a48-d219811b12c3
  4. Removing the disk drive on the new Series X is a terrible idea

in XboX Insiders
    Removing the disk drive on the new Series X is a terrible idea: Microsoft plans to refresh the Series X in 2024 with a new design which eliminates the disk drive. Stating this as plainly as possible, removing the disk drive from the consoles is a slap in the...
  5. Disk drive probably broken.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disk drive probably broken.: My xbox disk drive doesn't work . When I put in a disk it would spin for like 3 seconds then stop and it does the same thing over and over and then stop spinning....
  6. Xbox disk drive won’t work

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox disk drive won’t work: Microsoft. I’m disappointed. My Xbox one disk drive has stoped working. I have only owned this console for one year. I don’t mind that the drive didn’t work with movies. But I’m upset that I can...
  7. xbox 360 slim disk drive grinding

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 slim disk drive grinding: i've had this console for years and i've kept it in working condition, i'm not sure if the drive is going bad or if its just hitting the top of the drive casing 2c296d71-1f26-4a5b-baff-fdea1c06e17a
  8. Will the xbox series s ever be able to run disk games? Like by using an external disk drive...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will the xbox series s ever be able to run disk games? Like by using an external disk drive...: Will the xbox series s ever be able to run disk games? Like by using an external disk drive? 118863a3-95cc-4416-bde2-d983cb254615
  9. Can I put a Xbox one (disk drive/disk reader) in my Xbox one S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I put a Xbox one (disk drive/disk reader) in my Xbox one S: Can I put a Xbox one (disk drive/disk reader) in my Xbox one S c2abf77f-726c-41ae-8caf-713a9744e6e6
  10. Why do you have to turn off Xbox 360 before removing Hard Disk Drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do you have to turn off Xbox 360 before removing Hard Disk Drive?: Why do you have to turn off Xbox 360 before removing Hard Disk Drive? I tried to find the User's Manual like a PDF File Online but I couldn't. Can someone link me then User's Manual? [img]...