Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem?

Discus and support Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; We've been having an issue for a handful of months now where our Xbox doesn't recognize discs - no error, no noise or anything to indicate the drive is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AccountRecreate, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem?

We've been having an issue for a handful of months now where our Xbox doesn't recognize discs - no error, no noise or anything to indicate the drive is being activated. If I put a game in and it fails to read, then try to select the icon for it, it asks me to make sure the disc is in the drive.

When we press the eject button, the proper sound dings that would tell you a disc is in there and should eject, but it doesn't. 360 games, Xbox One games, and Xbox Series X games all have the same result.

If we fully power cycle the console, it will read the disc no problem when it comes back up, 100% of the time. Also of note, a few times we've just sat and waited and the disc will spin up, between 5-30 minutes, not 100% of the time. Trying to reset the console rather than power cycle gets us a black screen and no reset. So you have to power cycle anyway.

We've cleared Blu-Ray persistent storage, done a reset on the console, and even sent it to MS already (it's currently on the way back to MS for round two of repair support).

So is this a hardware or software issue? I think it might be software since our workaround is 100%.

:)

AccountRecreate, Dec 14, 2021
  2. ngocphi Win User

Warranty repair will always be a refurbished unit regardless of manufacturer

As volunteer mentioned he did in-store replacement which is hard with the shortage that is affecting everything either you wait if you are within the return period you havr to check with your store or do a warranty
  3. Just a Volunteer Win User

This is the same issue I had with X Series X console. It's a hardware fault. You will need to get the console repaired or replaced under warranty.
  4. SammyVS Win User

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

Difficult gives certainty of where the problem would be but I believe the hardware is not working properly.

Resetting the console would solve the problem with the software in most cases, if you were using an Insider build and depending on the level you would be more exposed to bugs. But I hope that this time everything is resolved.
  5. AccountRecreate Win User

That's too bad, though at least at the moment it's on the way back to MS for repair. Did you end up getting a refurb or a brand new one sent to you?
  6. Just a Volunteer Win User

Retailer supplied a new one under warranty. It was only 6 months old when it failed and took 3 months to get replaced due to all the chaos with shipping. Picked it up yesterday.
Thema:

1. Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem? - Similar Threads - Disc Drive Issue

2. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...: Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every...
  3. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  4. is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time: I have an xbox series x and I notice that it leaves some minor or too minor scratches to discs. The laser read them normally and I dont hear any grinding or weird noise from the disc drive. I can...
  5. i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive

in XBoX on Windows
    i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive: I purchased a sealed copy of msfs deluxe version. I started disc 1 and it ran for many hours and finally stopped so I started disc 2 and it ran for many hours. Was I supposed to anything else...
  6. Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync: My XBox seriesX disc drive does not work and also now won’t sync with the cloud f9f45fe7-190a-421d-ae07-22bd0fc8bdb5
  7. Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??: When i go to put in a 360 disc or a dvd in my xbox one it won’t read it will just sit in there and when i put a xbox one disc or a blue ray disc in it reads it 75% of the time and some of these...
  8. Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?: I replaced the disc drive on my Xbox one. The disc before wouldn't really spin. I successfully replaced the disc drive, and the disc still won't read. Suggestions?...
  9. Series X disc drive noise on start up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X disc drive noise on start up: Seems to be a quick jerk or vibrating noise that last a split second. Runs fine otherwise. I talked to MS support and they said it’s the disc drive looking for a disc. I don’t have any discs tho....
  10. Can you repair/clean a Xbox series x disc drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you repair/clean a Xbox series x disc drive?: My Xbox series x will no longer install disks ,or read some disks. I was able to get one game to install, and load, but that’s it. Is there any way for me to fix this? I no longer have a warranty...