Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ...

Discus and support Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; It recognizes any game disc just fine. However, any Blu Ray or DVD that I insert usually gets a few burst of a sort of soft grinding noise, before it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by moreCOWBELL247, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ...

It recognizes any game disc just fine. However, any Blu Ray or DVD that I insert usually gets a few burst of a sort of soft grinding noise, before it settles down and pretends like nothing has been inserted. Even if I select the Blu Ray App and try to play
    it from there, it just tells me I still need to insert a disc.

I've tried doing a hard reset before insertion (sorry, that just sounds naughty), but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I will usually try standing there, inserting and ejecting the disc over and over about 20 times before I hear a smooth whirring
    (the kind that it ALWAYS makes when I put a game disc in) and it'll register the movie's actually in there and it'll start playing.

I would think its a drive issue, but all my game discs consistently work fine on the first try. Does anyone have any insight?

Honestly, I'd hate to have to send my Xbox One in for repairs; my entire family practically depends on it by now and it'd be very hard to do without.

:)

moreCOWBELL247, Jun 6, 2015
  2. Blu ray "player"

My xbox one x just plays regular dvds...blue rays...uhd discs...game discs!!

HyperVenom523, Jun 6, 2015
  3. Kassad
    Kassad Guest
    Play videos on burned discs

Can Xbox One X play mkv's, mp4's, etc that have been burned to blank blu-ray/DVD discs? I have some discs that have the DVD and blu-ray folder/file structure, but I also have discs that have videos that were just drag and dropped, then burned and I'm curious if the One X will play these.

Kassad, Jun 6, 2015
  4. Maricourt
    Maricourt Guest

Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ...

I have had (and still have) similar issues. I get the best results from my DVD's and Blue-Ray's when I give them a little push when slipping them into the drive. Hope it helps!

Maricourt, Jun 9, 2015
  5. I have the same problems. Funny thing was I sent it in and they sent it back about a month later saying everything was fixed. I plugged it up and it worked for a short while and right back to doing it again. I contacted them again about it and went through
    the process of sending it again. I received it (a month later) with a note saying nothing is wrong with the unit. Yes there is I even recorded the problem on my phone showing that it does not recognize there is a disc in it. I have to unplug the system and
    plug it back in to get my disc out. I have put a lot of money in this system, games and controllers and they act like they do not care. It just sucks how they act about it. Sorry for the problems you are having.

TicklishComic8, Jun 12, 2015
  6. Yikes... That tells me I don't want to try sending it in if I can get it to work. Anyone else have this problem?

moreCOWBELL247, Jun 25, 2015
  7. Voss Veceili
    Voss Veceili Guest
    Hey moreCOWBELL 247,

That whole paragraph sounded naughty Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ... :D. Anyways sorry to hear about your issue. I'd like to to try A normal quick fix that should fix your issue. If it doesn't work I'll provided you with an article about disc errors. This article will go a bit more
    in depth than I do. Well allot more. But any way here you go.

Quick Fix :

- Launch Settings (Please)

- Select the tile reading "Disc & Blue-ray"

- Shuffle over to the middle column.

- Select Persistent storage

- Select clear

- Hold down the power button on your console for 10 seconds

- Turn your console back on.

- Insert the disc and watch your movie

(Note please remove all disc from the disc tray while preforming these steps)

Okay awesome.... So I hoped that worked. Here is the link
    support.xbox.com/.../disc-error
    that I promised. Well I actually didn't promise it but I said I'd give it to you. Well there you have it Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ... :D sweet. I'll be around if you need me. Have fun watching movies.

- Voss

Voss Veceili, Jun 25, 2015
  8. Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ...

Grrr.. It didn't work. Thanks for the effort, though. I will check the link and see if I get any help there. With the feedback I've read, sending it in for repairs isn't a fun experience is isn't a guarantee it'll get fixed with a working drive, especially
    after waiting so long for it to come back.

moreCOWBELL247, Oct 31, 2018
  9. Obsessive Power Win User

0x8082000c, Can't play Xbox 360 Games

Hi,

Verify that your consoles drive is functioning. Try playing a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray disc.

If your console will not play DVD then the drive has hardware fault.

There are two lasers in the blu-ray drive. One for reading DVD and Xbox 360 games and another for Xbox One and Blu-ray discs.
  10. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X recognizes no backwards compatible 360-disc / triggers no download

Hi,

Sounds like the laser in your console's Blu-ray drive has a hardware issue.

To test if your Xbox One X has issues reading discs, try playing a DVD movie disc. If can't read DVD movie discs either then your console has a hardware fault.

Note: It must be a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray movie disc.

There are two lasers in the Blu-ray drive, one for reading Blu-ray discs and one for DVD discs. Xbox One games use Blu-ray and the 360 console used a DVD drive.
  11. Obsessive Power Win User

360 games on xbox1

Hi,

Can you check if your console can read DVD discs please? To do this just insert a DVD movie disc. If it works, the console will load the Blu-ray Player app (make sure this this downloaded from the Xbox Store).

Note that the disc you try must be a DVD not an Xbox One or a Blu-ray movie disc.

If your console won't start the DVD movie disc then this indicates a fault with your Xbox One Blu-ray drive. These drives contain two lasers, one for DVD's and one for Blu-ray discs. Xbox One disc games are on Blu-ray, Xbox 360 games are DVD's.
  12. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox cdrom or whatever people call it

Its a dvd
    Nope, not quite right.

Original Xbox - DVD

Xbox 360 - DVD (or more specifically, DVD-9).

Xbox One - Blu-ray

Xbox One S and X - UHD Blu-ray drive, but games still on standard Blu-ray.

Scarlet will have a UHD BD drive so that can still play all formats of movie discs. Likely that games will be on 100GB discs.
  13. Obsessive Power Win User

Dead Space 1 not reading

Hi,

Unfortunately it sounds to me like your Optical drive has developed a fault. There are two lasers in the drive assembly, one for reading Xbox 360 games and movie DVD discs and one for reading Xbox One and Blu-ray discs.

To see if your drive is failing, try playing regular DVD movie discs (not an HD movie discs as these are on Blu-ray format). If the DVD films fail to play then your drive is faulty and you'll need to send the machine to have this repaired.

Xbox 360 games are on DVD discs.
Thema:

1. Disc drive having an increasingly hard time recognizing Blu Rays or DVDs; plays game discs ... - Similar Threads - Disc drive having

2. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  3. Xbox one s crashed and purchased a new Xbox but it doesn't have a disc drive. How do we...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one s crashed and purchased a new Xbox but it doesn't have a disc drive. How do we...: Xbox one s crashed and purchased a new Xbox but it doesn't have a disc drive. How do we play our Forza game if on a disc? It is not showing in our library when we log in....
  4. I have a disc for Viva Piñata but no disc drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have a disc for Viva Piñata but no disc drive: Is there any way to download it online and use my key? I'd rather not buy a disk drive. If anyone knows anything, thanks! 15b8f521-924b-4019-bd8e-617efbf3f32b
  5. Modern warfare i have the disc and it is downloaded to hard drive but it telling me to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Modern warfare i have the disc and it is downloaded to hard drive but it telling me to...: I have the disc modern warfare and downloaded to hard drive.but it is telling me to purchase the game.i was playing it yesterday.and issues with certain maps .error code dev 6034[ww.mp.then maps...
  6. Do you have to have the Hitman 2 Disc in the drive to play the level on Hitman 3?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do you have to have the Hitman 2 Disc in the drive to play the level on Hitman 3?: I have Hitman 2 on Disc and d/loaded Hitman 3 - I did the import etc. and could access the levels, but now I get shoved to the store.. Do I always have to have the Hitman 2 disc in the drive to...
  7. i have an xbox one S all digital and am very dissatisfied. I need a disc drive to meet my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    i have an xbox one S all digital and am very dissatisfied. I need a disc drive to meet my...: I replaced my one S with a new one S all digital. A very bad mistake. I need a disc drive for it to meet my needs. The original series S had the disc drive and I was going to wait until it came...
  8. Anybody else have issues with the Disc drive not reading discs?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Anybody else have issues with the Disc drive not reading discs?: I have been a big fan of Xbox since the original launched. Been a member of XBL since launch as well. However, the XB1 has been really pushing me away. My first XB1 had issues with the disc drive....
  9. Xbox One S Disc Drive Problems: I have found a method that works for standard DVD's not loading

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One S Disc Drive Problems: I have found a method that works for standard DVD's not loading: Firstly, hello people I'm back again and this time with some good news that I know some of you will desperately be needing since the last youtube video I posted got a tonne of hits on this...
  10. I am sending my Xbox One X off for repair/exchange, but i have a disc in the drive!

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am sending my Xbox One X off for repair/exchange, but i have a disc in the drive!: The device does not have power, which is why i am sending for repair. But i was not able to eject the disc i have in there. Is there anyway to contact service and ask them to retrieve the disc? I...