Disc drive damaging DVDs

Discus and support Disc drive damaging DVDs in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi there, If I leave a DVD running in the 360 (say I forget to turn it off and leave the DVD playing on a menu screen), there's a good chance that the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ackter, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ackter
    Ackter Guest

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hi there,

If I leave a DVD running in the 360 (say I forget to turn it off and leave the DVD playing on a menu screen), there's a good chance that the disc drive will damage the DVD. It produces rings and scratches all over the DVD, causing serious playback issues
    (jumping, freezing, playback termination etc).

This is with the most recently released Xbox 360 (black slim, with the internal memory).

What are my options?

Thanks

:)

Ackter, Jan 6, 2014
  2. pstep
    pstep Guest
    Takes a long time to read discs...

The cheap and easy start is to use a DVD cleaner disc to try to clean the disc drive lense. Other than that It could be a damaged or mis-aligned laser in the drive that is VERY tricky to fix. If the cleaner disc won't work just swap out the drive.

-me

pstep, Jan 6, 2014
  3. loki_d20
    loki_d20 Guest
    Blu-Ray Playback Bad for Xbox One Laser?

I understood your question.

The reason old consoles had bad disc drives was because of movement issues primarily due to top loading mechanisms and not other issues. Slot drives, which the Xbox One used, prevent damage from long term use.

So, the answer is, yes, you will be fine using your Xbox One as a Blu-ray player over a long period of time.

Sent from a Russian Bot Account

loki_d20, Jan 6, 2014
  4. MattKV1
    MattKV1 Guest

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hello Ackter,

I am sorry to hear about your discs getting scratched. This is what I would recommend to lessen the chance of that happening in the future.

Firstly, I would set up your Xbox 360 in a horizontal position. Any disc drive is more prone to damage a disc if its being operated in vertical position. Next, I would eject your game discs or movie discs when you're not using them. With your game discs,
    if you can install them to the hard drive, that would help as well. I'm not sure why drives do this, but it has happened to me across all my disc based consoles.

So to recap, try to use your Xbox 360 in horizontal position (if you're not already), and remove your discs when you're not using them. Install games to your console's hard drive when you can.

I hope this helps out, and again, sorry that your discs are getting scratched!!

MattKV1, Jan 6, 2014
  5. Unkn0wn1
    Unkn0wn1 Guest
    Also along with what MattKV said, you could also turn on Auto-Off, located in the System settings. It can give you the option to automatically shut off the console after 1 hour of inactivity.

Unkn0wn1, Jan 6, 2014
  6. MattKV1
    MattKV1 Guest
    Heldbowl, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you for that good tip Disc drive damaging DVDs :)

MattKV1, Jan 6, 2014
  7. Ackter
    Ackter Guest
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

It's scratched discs in both the upright and horizontal position, but its also just scratched a disc while I was watching it - I made it through to the credits and then it started juddering and freezing.

I've not had it scratch a game disc yet, only DVDs.

Ackter, Jan 6, 2014
  8. MattKV1
    MattKV1 Guest

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hello again Ackter,

I've thought more about this. You mention that only your DVD's are getting scratched. And by that, enough scratching to damage the disc's operability. I would like to ask you if your Xbox 360 is located near any of your TV's speakers, especially your
    Bass speaker. It would make sense to me that if your game discs are not getting scratched, that something is being introduced when you're watching movies. I really think this may have to do with being a vibration issue. I also speculated that it may have
    to do with the thickness of certain DVD's.

Does any of this seem like it may be feasible to you?

MattKV1, Oct 31, 2018
  9. MattKV1 Win User

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Heldbowl, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you for that good tip :)
  10. Ackter Win User

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hi, thanks for the replies.

It's scratched discs in both the upright and horizontal position, but its also just scratched a disc while I was watching it - I made it through to the credits and then it started juddering and freezing.

I've not had it scratch a game disc yet, only DVDs.
  11. MattKV1 Win User

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hello again Ackter,

I've thought more about this. You mention that only your DVD's are getting scratched. And by that, enough scratching to damage the disc's operability. I would like to ask you if your Xbox 360 is located near any of your TV's speakers, especially your
    Bass speaker. It would make sense to me that if your game discs are not getting scratched, that something is being introduced when you're watching movies. I really think this may have to do with being a vibration issue. I also speculated that it may have
    to do with the thickness of certain DVD's.

Does any of this seem like it may be feasible to you?
  12. Unkn0wn1 Win User

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Also along with what MattKV said, you could also turn on Auto-Off, located in the System settings. It can give you the option to automatically shut off the console after 1 hour of inactivity.
  13. MattKV1 Win User

Disc drive damaging DVDs

Hello Ackter,

I am sorry to hear about your discs getting scratched. This is what I would recommend to lessen the chance of that happening in the future.

Firstly, I would set up your Xbox 360 in a horizontal position. Any disc drive is more prone to damage a disc if its being operated in vertical position. Next, I would eject your game discs or movie discs when you're not using them. With your game discs,
    if you can install them to the hard drive, that would help as well. I'm not sure why drives do this, but it has happened to me across all my disc based consoles.

So to recap, try to use your Xbox 360 in horizontal position (if you're not already), and remove your discs when you're not using them. Install games to your console's hard drive when you can.

I hope this helps out, and again, sorry that your discs are getting scratched!!
Thema:

Disc drive damaging DVDs

1. Disc drive damaging DVDs - Similar Threads - Disc drive damaging

2. When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I put in a Xbox 360 disc my Xbox Series X disc drive beeps: When I put in the [slightly damaged] disc, it's spins, does stage normal sounds that I hear and then it's a quiet beeeeep then it goes back to the sounds and it repeats, any ideas why?...
  3. Xbox disc drive trying to take disc without one inside

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox disc drive trying to take disc without one inside: My xbox series x disc drive has been trying to take a disc without one in its happens all day and night submitted by /u/BusinessClothes5658 [link] [comments]
  4. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...: Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every...
  5. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  6. is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time: I have an xbox series x and I notice that it leaves some minor or too minor scratches to discs. The laser read them normally and I dont hear any grinding or weird noise from the disc drive. I can...
  7. i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive

in XBoX on Windows
    i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive: I purchased a sealed copy of msfs deluxe version. I started disc 1 and it ran for many hours and finally stopped so I started disc 2 and it ran for many hours. Was I supposed to anything else...
  8. Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync: My XBox seriesX disc drive does not work and also now won’t sync with the cloud f9f45fe7-190a-421d-ae07-22bd0fc8bdb5
  9. Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??: When i go to put in a 360 disc or a dvd in my xbox one it won’t read it will just sit in there and when i put a xbox one disc or a blue ray disc in it reads it 75% of the time and some of these...
  10. Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?: I replaced the disc drive on my Xbox one. The disc before wouldn't really spin. I successfully replaced the disc drive, and the disc still won't read. Suggestions?...