Disc drive always spinning

Discus and support Disc drive always spinning in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I bought my Xbox One in January, and for a while it was fine but after a couple of months after an update it had an issue where the disc drive is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by J Rizzle da 3rd, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Disc drive always spinning

So I bought my Xbox One in January, and for a while it was fine but after a couple of months after an update it had an issue where the disc drive is always spinning when there is a disc in, doesn't matter what I'm doing, be it watching TV or the system is
    just sitting on the home screen after a full reboot, the disc drive ALWAYS spins. When this happened there were a few other forum posts pointing this out, it sounded like everyone had this problem although maybe some people just didn't notice (it's not all
    that loud, but louder than an otherwise nearly silent system). I remember reading in one forum post Microsoft responded saying they had a fix coming.

Now it's been like 9 months, and the problem is still there. This is something that worked fine before, but now you can't fix it after nine months. I don't want my drive to go out. I don't like buying digital games, I like having the ability to trade in
    my games or rent them in case they're crap, seeing as you really can't get a good idea of what a game offers anymore because advertisements are so misleading (playing demos on high end PCs for example).

Microsoft is an extremely shady company anymore, and the only logical conclusion I can come up with is that they're doing this intentionally so that your disc drive will wear out so you're forced to buy digital games (don't lie, you make more profits off
    of digital sales, that's why you were pushing your "future" of all digital crap).

Clearly nothing will be done about this. I'm not going to sit here and wait for my disc drive to go out and have a paperweight. I'm selling my Xbox, which is unfortunate because it did make a good media center. The purpose of this post was to vent and let
    people know that this problem is going on. Defend these greedy bastards all you want, if you leave a disc in your drive it seems safe to assume it will go out eventually (willing to bet it will be shortly after your warranty expires, these companies are sneaky
    like that).

:)

J Rizzle da 3rd, Oct 7, 2014
  2. Titanfall not working on xbox 360

why the game is not installed on the hard drive? why the game disc is always spinning in the drive?

BuzzingPlum421, Oct 7, 2014
  3. MattKV1
    MattKV1 Guest
    Disc spinning always

Hello ThaHammer08,

I know that some installed games still periodically refer back to the gaming disc to ensure it's still in the console, and other games still load things from the disc while in-game.

If for some reason your console is affected by this and not working right, you may need to look into a warranty repair if your console is still under warranty. You can check that out here: support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

If your console is not still under warranty, an additional repair fee will be required in order for Microsoft to service it. I personally have an older Xbox 360 console, and even with having installed some games on my hard drive, my drive still spins while
    I'm playing at times.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

MattKV1, Oct 7, 2014
  4. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  5. Okay, lets say I call support, they either say they won't do anything or they will send me a refurbished console. In the scenario they send me a refurbished console I am pretty sure it will have the same problem, not to mention I take really good care of
    my electronics, there isn't a scratch on my Xbox, and the replacement I get most likely won't be in the same condition. That's putting it lightly.

6. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest
    If the console is registered under you then you have no worries unless you have voided the warranty. My replacement console was in great condition.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  7. MjrMcBeeferton can you try putting a disc in your drive and not doing anything that requires it and see if you can hear it spinning? If you can't tell get close to it and listen while you push the eject button and see if you can hear it spin down and then
    get quieter.

8. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest

I understand being nervous about having to go through the process. They even have an advance exchange program if you have a credit card where you don't have to send in your console until your replacement arrives. They just place a temporary hold until
    you send the old one in. This way, if your nightmare scenario happened you could contact them then and there.

Customer support is there to help you and we are as well. If you have any questions just shoot them here.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  9. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest
    My disc drive is really quite. Now, if you are downloading something the Hard Drive disc might spin but shouldn't be too loud.

If it is making sounds you haven't heard before get it replaced. Use that warranty.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  10. Really not in a position to put a $500 hold on a credit card. And I've had several friends that have had nightmares (with 360 though) with getting exchange consoles that were in worse condition then the ones they sent in.

But hmm, I'm sure it's not downloading anything, it's definitely the disc drive. The second I hit the eject button it spins down and goes nearly silent. Not sure if I should just trade it in to Gamestop or send it in and wait probably two weeks to get a
    replacement that who knows what condition it will be in.

11. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest
    My console is whisper quiet. Do you have a Kinect hooked up? Microsoft has gotten really good at streamlining the exchange process.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  12. Yes, I have a Kinect hooked up.

Hmm, I don't know, I'll have to think about it. Did you actually try putting a disc in and seeing if it's spinning though?

13. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest

Cool, have you tried to reboot the console by holding the power button down 5-8 seconds? Give that a shot if you haven't.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 7, 2014
  14. Yeah, I've tried that several times. Can you try putting a disc in and listening to see if it's spinning? If you have too much ambient noise you might not hear it without paying attention. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue that affects all systems.

15. Mcbeeferton
    Mcbeeferton Guest
    Yeah, I've tried it and its all good on my end. I would just call support. They may have more info on this. Mine is all good, so I would call support and get this taken care of.

Mcbeeferton, Oct 31, 2018
  16. J Rizzle da 3rd Win User

Really not in a position to put a $500 hold on a credit card. And I've had several friends that have had nightmares (with 360 though) with getting exchange consoles that were in worse condition then the ones they sent in.

But hmm, I'm sure it's not downloading anything, it's definitely the disc drive. The second I hit the eject button it spins down and goes nearly silent. Not sure if I should just trade it in to Gamestop or send it in and wait probably two weeks to get a
    replacement that who knows what condition it will be in.
  17. Mcbeeferton Win User

My console is whisper quiet. Do you have a Kinect hooked up? Microsoft has gotten really good at streamlining the exchange process.
  18. Mcbeeferton Win User

You need to go ahead and call support for that. There is a 1 year warranty on the console. The US phone number for Xbox Support is 1-800-469-9269 or go to http://support.xbox.com/en-US/
  19. J Rizzle da 3rd Win User

Yeah, I've tried that several times. Can you try putting a disc in and listening to see if it's spinning? If you have too much ambient noise you might not hear it without paying attention. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue that affects all systems.
  20. Mcbeeferton Win User

Yeah, I've tried it and its all good on my end. I would just call support. They may have more info on this. Mine is all good, so I would call support and get this taken care of.
Thema:

1. Disc drive always spinning - Similar Threads - Disc drive always

2. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...: Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every...
  3. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  4. is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time: I have an xbox series x and I notice that it leaves some minor or too minor scratches to discs. The laser read them normally and I dont hear any grinding or weird noise from the disc drive. I can...
  5. i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive

in XBoX on Windows
    i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive: I purchased a sealed copy of msfs deluxe version. I started disc 1 and it ran for many hours and finally stopped so I started disc 2 and it ran for many hours. Was I supposed to anything else...
  6. Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync: My XBox seriesX disc drive does not work and also now won’t sync with the cloud f9f45fe7-190a-421d-ae07-22bd0fc8bdb5
  7. Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??: When i go to put in a 360 disc or a dvd in my xbox one it won’t read it will just sit in there and when i put a xbox one disc or a blue ray disc in it reads it 75% of the time and some of these...
  8. Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?: I replaced the disc drive on my Xbox one. The disc before wouldn't really spin. I successfully replaced the disc drive, and the disc still won't read. Suggestions?...
  9. Series X disc drive noise on start up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X disc drive noise on start up: Seems to be a quick jerk or vibrating noise that last a split second. Runs fine otherwise. I talked to MS support and they said it’s the disc drive looking for a disc. I don’t have any discs tho....
  10. Can you repair/clean a Xbox series x disc drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you repair/clean a Xbox series x disc drive?: My Xbox series x will no longer install disks ,or read some disks. I was able to get one game to install, and load, but that’s it. Is there any way for me to fix this? I no longer have a warranty...