Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

Discus and support Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have files of the same type and it is a constant guessing game as to which will work and which will not. Any help with this issue would be greatly... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Fu Master Fo, Feb 12, 2015.

  1. Fu Master Fo
    Fu Master Fo Guest

    Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...


    I have files of the same type and it is a constant guessing game as to which will work and which will not. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

    :)
     
    Fu Master Fo, Feb 12, 2015
    #1
  2. Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

    [quote user="Hellfire IRL"]

    No MKV is a pirates format.

    [/quote]

    And MP4 isn't?

    The point being that any video file type can be uploaded to a torrent site for others to download. It is not restricted to one file type. You'll likely find MP4's are more commonly pirated than MKV.
     
    Unreal Warfare, Feb 12, 2015
    #2
  3. suggestion for video player

    the video player should have MKV support AVI and MP4 are just 2 big of a file i had some avi files on my external that will detect that will not play cause supposely it is encoded with unsupported codecs seriously microsoft why even enable video functions
    on the xbox if it cant even do them all this makes xbox worthless for video playing

    it makes me want to get a PS3 because of this
     
    Riko Sakurauchi, Feb 12, 2015
    #3
  4. Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

    Don't really have an answer as I have found the same issue. However the issue isn't per se mkv/mp4 extensions, as they really are only containers for the video. The real issue I believe is in how the video is encoded and what specific codecs are used. For
    example my new 4k Vizio TV will only play h.265 HEVC encoded files. Nothing else will play as other codecs aren't supported. I'm sure there is a list of specific supported codecs and format, I just haven't found it yet.
     
    Midnight Racer, Feb 13, 2015
    #4
  5. Fu Master Fo
    Fu Master Fo Guest
    Thats what I am learning as well. Do you know how we can tell what codecs are used within the MKV container?
     
    Fu Master Fo, Feb 14, 2015
    #5
  6. I have not found a great way of identifying the specific information. What I've been doing is loading it into a program like Handbrake for re-encode and that will usually tell me what the codec it's in now. And if necessary re-encode to another like h.265
    HEVC for those files that are 4k.
     
    Midnight Racer, Nov 1, 2018
    #6
  7. Midnight Racer Win User

    Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others say "unsupported"

    I have not found a great way of identifying the specific information. What I've been doing is loading it into a program like Handbrake for re-encode and that will usually tell me what the codec it's in now. And if necessary re-encode to another like h.265
    HEVC for those files that are 4k.
  8. Fu Master Fo Win User

    Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others say "unsupported"

    Thats what I am learning as well. Do you know how we can tell what codecs are used within the MKV container?
  9. Midnight Racer Win User

    Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others say "unsupported"

    Don't really have an answer as I have found the same issue. However the issue isn't per se mkv/mp4 extensions, as they really are only containers for the video. The real issue I believe is in how the video is encoded and what specific codecs are used. For
    example my new 4k Vizio TV will only play h.265 HEVC encoded files. Nothing else will play as other codecs aren't supported. I'm sure there is a list of specific supported codecs and format, I just haven't found it yet.
  10. dbrodbeck Win User

    Can't watch videos on xbox (streaming from mac) although I have updated the xbox system

    It may be that some of your files are unsupported, this page lists the specs of supported files:

    support.xbox.com/.../audio-video-playback
    You will note that it plays MP4s just fine, it just depends on the MP4.
  11. Unreal Warfare Win User

    Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

    [quote user="Hellfire IRL"]

    No MKV is a pirates format.

    [/quote]

    And MP4 isn't?

    The point being that any video file type can be uploaded to a torrent site for others to download. It is not restricted to one file type. You'll likely find MP4's are more commonly pirated than MKV.
Thema:

Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

Loading...
  1. Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ... - Similar Threads - Digital Video file

  2. Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access)

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access): Make sure you restart your Xbox don't just turn it on and off. submitted by /u/AstroZombie1 [link] [comments]
  3. No option to claim digital license for Witcher 3 Disc Delta Insider Ring

    in XboX Insiders
    No option to claim digital license for Witcher 3 Disc Delta Insider Ring: When I insert the disc and try to open the menu, I'm not seeing any option to claim the digital license at all. If I look at the file info, I get a lot of information about the content/product id...
  4. Xbox series X disc to digital issues

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series X disc to digital issues: Howdy all! I have been an insider for about 10 years now and just found this subreddit today! I am trying to do the disc to digital and it’s not giving me the option. I am updated to latest and...
  5. Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Discussion Megathread - Week of September 21st, 2026: Hello XBOX Insiders! After the Announcement about the new Disc to Digital feature, it has begun rolling out to XBOX Insiders enrolled in the XBOX Update Preview. Please use this thread for all...
  6. I applied for insiders for disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    I applied for insiders for disc to digital: I applied four days ago and still haven't got the update. How much longer will I have to wait? Any advice is highly appreciated :) submitted by /u/Icy-Shoulder3870 [link] [comments]
  7. New to insiders hub - disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    New to insiders hub - disc to digital: Hallo, hopelijk niet erg als ik in Nederlands schrijf? Ik ben nieuw in het insider hub programma, net geïnstalleerd. Ik wou heel graag de disc to digital proberen maar zie dit niet staan bij...
  8. Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series: I have reported the issue through the console, but I claimed a digital license to Batman The Telltale Series with the Season Pass Disc, and it gives me the season pass, but not each individual...
  9. Xbox Disc to digital | Eusebio05

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Disc to digital | Eusebio05: Hello, I am a member of the Xbox Insider hub. I have Heard that Xbox Insider can do disc to digital, and I just want to Apply that I can do Disc to digital too it would be very nice. I have such a...
  10. What can I do if I want to change my physical video games (discs) to digital?

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    What can I do if I want to change my physical video games (discs) to digital?: I need to know what to do with them, or if I can resell them somewhere specific or be able to change them to digital. cd0d71cf-88ac-4e07-bc1c-c268496eb1ad