Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

Discus and support Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have files of the same type and it is a constant guessing game as to which will work and which will not. Any help with this issue would be greatly... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Fu Master Fo, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Fu Master Fo
    Fu Master Fo Guest

Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

I have files of the same type and it is a constant guessing game as to which will work and which will not. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Fu Master Fo, Feb 12, 2015
  2. Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

[quote user="Hellfire IRL"]

No MKV is a pirates format.

[/quote]

And MP4 isn't?

The point being that any video file type can be uploaded to a torrent site for others to download. It is not restricted to one file type. You'll likely find MP4's are more commonly pirated than MKV.

Unreal Warfare, Feb 12, 2015
  3. suggestion for video player

the video player should have MKV support AVI and MP4 are just 2 big of a file i had some avi files on my external that will detect that will not play cause supposely it is encoded with unsupported codecs seriously microsoft why even enable video functions
    on the xbox if it cant even do them all this makes xbox worthless for video playing

it makes me want to get a PS3 because of this

Riko Sakurauchi, Feb 12, 2015
  4. Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

Don't really have an answer as I have found the same issue. However the issue isn't per se mkv/mp4 extensions, as they really are only containers for the video. The real issue I believe is in how the video is encoded and what specific codecs are used. For
    example my new 4k Vizio TV will only play h.265 HEVC encoded files. Nothing else will play as other codecs aren't supported. I'm sure there is a list of specific supported codecs and format, I just haven't found it yet.

Midnight Racer, Feb 13, 2015
  5. Fu Master Fo
    Fu Master Fo Guest
    Thats what I am learning as well. Do you know how we can tell what codecs are used within the MKV container?

Fu Master Fo, Feb 14, 2015
  6. I have not found a great way of identifying the specific information. What I've been doing is loading it into a program like Handbrake for re-encode and that will usually tell me what the codec it's in now. And if necessary re-encode to another like h.265
    HEVC for those files that are 4k.

Midnight Racer, Nov 1, 2018
  7. Midnight Racer Win User

Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others say "unsupported"

I have not found a great way of identifying the specific information. What I've been doing is loading it into a program like Handbrake for re-encode and that will usually tell me what the codec it's in now. And if necessary re-encode to another like h.265
    HEVC for those files that are 4k.
  8. Fu Master Fo Win User

Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others say "unsupported"

Thats what I am learning as well. Do you know how we can tell what codecs are used within the MKV container?
  9. Midnight Racer Win User

Don't really have an answer as I have found the same issue. However the issue isn't per se mkv/mp4 extensions, as they really are only containers for the video. The real issue I believe is in how the video is encoded and what specific codecs are used. For
    example my new 4k Vizio TV will only play h.265 HEVC encoded files. Nothing else will play as other codecs aren't supported. I'm sure there is a list of specific supported codecs and format, I just haven't found it yet.
  10. dbrodbeck Win User

Can't watch videos on xbox (streaming from mac) although I have updated the xbox system

It may be that some of your files are unsupported, this page lists the specs of supported files:

support.xbox.com/.../audio-video-playback
    You will note that it plays MP4s just fine, it just depends on the MP4.
  11. Unreal Warfare Win User

Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

[quote user="Hellfire IRL"]

No MKV is a pirates format.

[/quote]

And MP4 isn't?

The point being that any video file type can be uploaded to a torrent site for others to download. It is not restricted to one file type. You'll likely find MP4's are more commonly pirated than MKV.
Thema:

1. Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ... - Similar Threads - Digital Video file

2. What should i do? I bought a 100 robux digital card using the reward points I got and I...

in XBoX on Windows
    What should i do? I bought a 100 robux digital card using the reward points I got and I...: How can I get the code or get my points back? 5139d47a-5472-4374-af39-ccef3e3222cc
  3. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  4. To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...: To upgrade yourself as the xbox gamer on the upcoming digital series x or stick with current series x the one with the disk drive? What I should do on this case or the situation on the scenario?...
  5. Microsoft Digital Safety email

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Microsoft Digital Safety email: Violation of our policy Hello [My Full Name], Content associated with your account was reported to Microsoft as violating our terms, policy, or laws. The details are as follows: Service or...
  6. Accessory App change 1: Make triggers remappable by digitizing them vua software

in XboX Insiders
    Accessory App change 1: Make triggers remappable by digitizing them vua software: I understand the reason why your standard Xbox controller and the Xbox accessories app won't let you remap the triggers. Because certain games will be deemed either too easy or unwinnable if the...
  7. I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...: I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games I download work fine. Is there a reason why it won't read the older Xbox One games I have? Some are brand...
  8. Is Truck racer digital region locked?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is Truck racer digital region locked?: I have an NTSC console in the UK. If I purchase a digital game in the UK (Truck racer in particular), will it work or will it be region locked? 030a41a9-7df5-4d6a-8504-86ce49a924df
  9. Add game to Xbox digital store

in XBoX on Windows
    Add game to Xbox digital store: Could y’all add the old Lord of the Rings games like: lord of the rings conquest Lord of the rings third age Lord of the rings return of the king/two towers/fellowship for the ring These games...
  10. What can I do if I want to change my physical video games (discs) to digital?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What can I do if I want to change my physical video games (discs) to digital?: I need to know what to do with them, or if I can resell them somewhere specific or be able to change them to digital. cd0d71cf-88ac-4e07-bc1c-c268496eb1ad