Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound

Discus and support Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I recently purchased a digital TV tuner from my local Microsoft store. No issues with integration and working, and the picture looks great. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by fireboy92k(2), Dec 31, 2015.

1. Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound

Hello,

I recently purchased a digital TV tuner from my local Microsoft store. No issues with integration and working, and the picture looks great.

I am not able to get the system to output sound in surround sound however for broadcast TV, only in Stereo. I've checked the settings per the help page on enabling surround sound (which I think is a silly setting BTW to have defaulted to stereo, but I digress).
    I've also contacted Hauppauge and they can replicate the issue, but they say it's an XBOX One issue and to check here.

Can someone tell me what's up?

Thanks.

Michael

:)

fireboy92k(2), Dec 31, 2015
  2. Still only getting stereo even with straight HDMI.

This should answer you from Xbox One support website :

Digital surround with TV on Xbox One

Support for digital surround sound from your cable or satellite box is currently available as a beta. By default, only stereo sound will be received.

Follow these steps to enable digital surround sound:

1.From Home, say “Xbox, go to Settings” or select the Settings tile from My games & apps.

2.Select TV & OneGuide.

3.Select Troubleshooting.

4.Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option.

Note Your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies. Only the digital audio pass-through from your cable or satellite box is in beta.

PaulusAemilius, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Xbox One and Surround Sound Receiver

The default setup is to only pass through stereo signals. Dolby Digital Surround pass-thru is in Beta and can be enable in setup. Instructions here:

support.xbox.com/.../digital-sound-not-working

steve-auction, Dec 31, 2015
  4. Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound

Seems to have changed last night. Don't know if a recent patch changed this, but am now getting stereo audio.

fireboy92k(2), Jan 14, 2016
  5. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Thanks for posting back with an update. Happy Gaming!

{Parity}, Oct 31, 2018
  6. PaulusAemilius Win User

Still only getting stereo even with straight HDMI.

This should answer you from Xbox One support website :

Digital surround with TV on Xbox One

Support for digital surround sound from your cable or satellite box is currently available as a beta. By default, only stereo sound will be received.

Follow these steps to enable digital surround sound:

1.From Home, say “Xbox, go to Settings” or select the Settings tile from My games & apps.

2.Select TV & OneGuide.

3.Select Troubleshooting.

4.Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option.

Note Your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies. Only the digital audio pass-through from your cable or satellite box is in beta.
  7. steve-auction Win User

Xbox One and Surround Sound Receiver

8. The Lion Turtle Win User

XB1 Surround Sound Issue

9. jmcode Win User

Dolby Digital update Xbox One, when?

The beta surround sound feature only pertains to passing through surround sound received over the Xbox One's HDMI input from (e.g.) your cable box. See

support.xbox.com/.../digital-sound-not-working

It does not enable Dolby Digital over HDMI either. As for connecting your Xbox to your TV via HDMI, setting the Xbox to output DTS (or, whenever MS finally makes it available, DD), and expecting your TV to output that DTS/DD to your receiver via optical
    out: please realize that very few TVs support passing DD from an HDMI source out via the TV's optical out and even fewer (if any) will pass DTS. In most cases, you will need to connect the Xbox One's optical out directly to your receiver to get surround sound
    (or, better, just get a modern receiver with HDMI inputs, which cost less than the Xbox for an entry model).
  10. CGilb Win User

xb1 keeps freezing on live TV

See if you have surround sound enabled on the cable set top box. If so, switch it to stereo sound and see if that resolves. The xbox one currently does not support digital surround via HDMI pass through. You may need to hook the set top box directly to the
    tv in order to do this if you can't maneuver the options while passing through the xbox one.
Thema:

Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound

1. Digital TV for Xbox One won't pass surround sound - Similar Threads - Digital won't pass

2. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  3. To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...: To upgrade yourself as the xbox gamer on the upcoming digital series x or stick with current series x the one with the disk drive? What I should do on this case or the situation on the scenario?...
  4. Microsoft Digital Safety email

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Microsoft Digital Safety email: Violation of our policy Hello [My Full Name], Content associated with your account was reported to Microsoft as violating our terms, policy, or laws. The details are as follows: Service or...
  5. Accessory App change 1: Make triggers remappable by digitizing them vua software

in XboX Insiders
    Accessory App change 1: Make triggers remappable by digitizing them vua software: I understand the reason why your standard Xbox controller and the Xbox accessories app won't let you remap the triggers. Because certain games will be deemed either too easy or unwinnable if the...
  6. I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...: I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games I download work fine. Is there a reason why it won't read the older Xbox One games I have? Some are brand...
  7. Is Truck racer digital region locked?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is Truck racer digital region locked?: I have an NTSC console in the UK. If I purchase a digital game in the UK (Truck racer in particular), will it work or will it be region locked? 030a41a9-7df5-4d6a-8504-86ce49a924df
  8. I bought MW3 digitally on my Xbox series x and it won't let me play the open beta. Why is that?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought MW3 digitally on my Xbox series x and it won't let me play the open beta. Why is that?: Preordered MW3 on my series X, which should allow me to play the open beta and it won't let me. I downloaded everything. When I launch the game, it says I need to have the Vault edition but that's...
  9. How should I fix only one game that won't even try to start to download if it is digital

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How should I fix only one game that won't even try to start to download if it is digital: Im trying to download the assassins creed ezio collection, but it wont download so i tried another game assassins creed 1 and it worked, both games digital by the way so im not sure what issue is...
  10. 2 different GTA V disks won't install, and why can't I just download the game digitally...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    2 different GTA V disks won't install, and why can't I just download the game digitally...: I bought GTA V as my first game for my Xbox One S a few years ago. The disk was broken while moving houses multiple times, and I've gotten a new one recently. The disk won't install the game, as...