Deceptive Business Practices - Deactivation of Large External HDD

Discus and support Deceptive Business Practices - Deactivation of Large External HDD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Seagate 4TB XBOX One Drive worked perfectly find for both my XBOX ONE and SERIES X. After the most recent update to my systems with the new... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BigBadHulk685, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Deceptive Business Practices - Deactivation of Large External HDD

My Seagate 4TB XBOX One Drive worked perfectly find for both my XBOX ONE and SERIES X. After the most recent update to my systems with the new dashboard configuration, the drive is not recognized anymore even though a PC will recognize. Is this coincidental? I don't think so. BTW, smaller storage devices less than 2TB appear to still work.

:)

BigBadHulk685, Nov 9, 2021
  2. JohnimusPrime Win User

Apologies if I've offended any ambassadors, but I stand by my statement.

I disagree that checking with drive manufacturers is the most prudent step. Data collection is important with troubleshooting so checking and then collecting the details from the multiple threads that have been created about this should be a common sense thing to do.

Having collected the data myself it was clear that multiple different drive manufacturers were affected, and all above the 2tb capacity. Several users had tried all the troubleshooting tips from the xbox assist / microsoft sites, and gone further (as I had done) to check the drive on their pc, reset the console, reformat the drive etc etc etc (it's all in the threads).

If you want to help that's great, but it's in everyone's interests to troubleshoot as accurately as possible, and that involves data collection.
  3. JohnimusPrime Win User

Ok, can't leave this one so this is genuinely the last reply.

"i contacted Microsoft support the other week, straight through to live chat, no issues so that works fine."

Lucky you. This is not the case for other users based on other forum posts, and also in my own experience.

"also my sons Xbox one x and my daughters Xbox one have the latest updates and both have Seagate 4TB hdd's, they all work fine still. if this was Microsoft deactivating large hdd's then we would all have the issue."

Presumably this is post the 9th October fix, detailed in the link I sent. As per the previous posts in the other forums, owners of high capacity hdds from multiple different manufacturers - including Seagate (check the posts) - were all experiencing the issue after the September update.
  4. JohnimusPrime Win User

The issue has been identified as being with the software update - see link below.

I've seen several forums (having had, and attempted to troubleshoot the problem myself) where Microsoft have fobbed users off with the 'check our troubleshooting guide', where users have explicitly stated that they have tried those methods. My frustration has only increased where I've seen that Microsoft and their ambassadors have been referring people to the drive manufacturers for support, and in some cases even suggesting that they buy new drives. If the only variable is the software update to the xbox, and multiple users with different drives are experiencing the same problem, then the issue can only be with the software update.

Microsoft, you should be ashamed of yourselves and I hope you will be apologising for the extra and unnecessary burden placed on the support services for the drive manufacturers, and refunding anybody who has purchased a new hard drive (which they won't get a refund for) as a result of a suggestion by Microsoft or one of their ambassadors.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/10/08/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2110-211006-2200/
  5. Farscape247 Win User

then if you want proper support and the data collected then don't come to a public forum with no official support staff, go direct to Microsoft support via chat, phone or the feedback app.

the only officials here are the moderators that monitor the site that's it.
  6. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

Hey BigBadHulk685,

It looks like the issue you're having with media drives has been fixed with the System update currently available to Xbox Insiders and will be available to the public soon. If you want to enroll in the Xbox Update Preview you should be able to download the update with the fix now.
Thema:

1. Deceptive Business Practices - Deactivation of Large External HDD - Similar Threads - Deceptive Business Practices

2. Is the Enforcement team at Xbox healthy for the community and overall business?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is the Enforcement team at Xbox healthy for the community and overall business?: So once again I got a strike on xbox and received a 4 day suspension. The reason was listed as "harassment", despite only sending an INFORMATIVE response on a community comment section involving...
  3. Do you care that your shameful practices ruin games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do you care that your shameful practices ruin games?: No FFB in Horizon 5 with my G29, know why? No permission to the exe. Why can't you stop screwing every customer like this? I literally can't play the game I paid $100 for. Guess it's my fault, you...
  4. Disgusting anti consumer practices

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disgusting anti consumer practices: I can't play games from an external HD? Literally no reason other than greed on behalf of Microsoft. Your consoles have pitifully small HDs and become super slow before being even close to full....
  5. Can u play mortal kombat deception for xbox on xbox 1

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can u play mortal kombat deception for xbox on xbox 1: I'm trying to play but it but idk if I can 04705fa3-a996-4938-a437-031bc7867428
  6. Deceptive Game Lottery Scratchers Jackpot

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Deceptive Game Lottery Scratchers Jackpot: I have been playing lottery scratchers jackpot for a couple of months. The ad says that if you play this game you can win money to be deposited into your PayPal account. The increments are $100,...
  7. How was this innaoropriate enough to get me permanently banned and am i practically really...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How was this innaoropriate enough to get me permanently banned and am i practically really...: My profile picture got deemed innapropriate it was bin laden with his full face covered by another picture and i got permanently suspended for it (i know it was stupid and i realized that aswell...
  8. Why has my business upgrades vanished

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has my business upgrades vanished: So i logged into gta5 online to find all my business upgrades have vanished 088d1050-e13d-42c4-9933-36f4a6bf9c2c
  9. Console is practically unusable after New Home Experience

in XboX Insiders
    Console is practically unusable after New Home Experience: There are so many issues with the New Home Experience. I have the following in Series X: Games make no attempt to Update. Just sit doing nothing. Xbox Does not turn off TV, Controller, or...