Dear Microsoft, this is a note from an old timer.

Discus and support Dear Microsoft, this is a note from an old timer. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I wanted to post a discussion here for the gamers who remember gaming on the original xbox, playstation, even Atari... My experiences from these old... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Lucas Trestka, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Dear Microsoft, this is a note from an old timer.

I wanted to post a discussion here for the gamers who remember gaming on the original xbox, playstation, even Atari...

My experiences from these old platforms is that the games did not have as much regulation behind them as they do now.
    In the original Halo, we old timers would spend months trying to uncover bugs, escape the maps, and try to get to the places in the maps that we were not supposed to get to. This was before online multiplayer, heck this was before xbox live even.

Then came halo 2, in halo 2 the world was more immense, and we had even more (very hard to find) easter eggs.
    In order to get some of these easter eggs, we would actually be required to go far beyond the designed limitations of the maps - remember the scarab gun on metropolis? Furthermore, we waited SOO long for halo 2 to be released. It was followed by delay after delay, and you know what? I was okay with that, and because we waited so long for the game, the developers were given enough time to make a game that was absolutely amazing, and to have become something I would play for years.

Unfortunately, that era of gaming seems to have dissipated. Games these days have a higher focus on looking good at surface level, but lacking in details, being built with inescapable maps, and are built to bring in as much revenue, as fast as as possible. However, the problem now is that I have not found a game that i've been willing to play for more than a month, usually not even past the first playthrough.
    And the reason for this isn't that I'm an adult now, with responsibilities, it's because the games lack the same level of detail to them that made games "great" in the past.

Simply put, I get bored after the first play through, I can't explore unless I meet certain requirements, I am given kill walls, there are no easter eggs in the places far beyond the map boundaries, there is no detail, and frankly, the games are released without many features because they simply aren't ready yet.

Halo Infinite had the potential to be great, but it was released without online coop, without forge, without the essence of what made the previous games great, and I can say that within a month's time, it has gotten old. Even when these new features roll out, I will have this mindset about halo infinite and doubt ill put more than another week or two into the game once they are released, if at all. To be completely honest, i'm not even that excited for them anymore.

I went from being a full-blown halo addict, with probably 10,000 hours logged in the halo franchise, playing on the top notches of the old game battles rosters, to getting tired of the new game within a month. What happened?

I think I know the answer, and I am writing this post to get the opinions of others here, particularly the old timers.

So my first question to the community is this:

1. Were the older games better than the newer ones? (Not necessarily just halo, I'm just using this as an example) If so, what made you enjoy the older games more?

What I feel is that new games have been being pumped out as fast as possible, so that a company can report profits to their stakeholders as soon as possible. It's no longer an industry for the gamers, it's been fully corporatized and is all about stakeholder happiness now.

Which leads me to my next statement:

If you took the time to work on the details of the game, refine (and actually release) all of the primary features, work out some fundamental bugs, and add some more interesting easter eggs, we the gamers will be more than happy to wait an extra year or two, so that we can enjoy the game for far longer.

And this should really be brought to the attention of your stakeholders because this is a huge financial incentive for them as well:

Yes, you spend a lot more on development costs, but the final product becomes something that the gamers will enjoy playing for years to come, something memorable. Even if you release the game as free to play, we will ultimately spend far more on a game that we want to play, that we feel connected to.

So that is my second question for the community:

2. Would you wait an extra year and be happier to spend more money on a great game? Or do you like how things are now? Are you getting bored of the newer games faster?

Microsoft, with your tremendous resource pool, now that you own activision, now that you own most of the gaming sector, you have the spotlight on you. You have the ability to fundamentally reimagine how this industry works. Nintendo, with the Zelda franchise has been trying out new approaches, and releasing its games with a much better end user experience, which is why their fan base is so much more in love with them. You can do this too, please don't be like EA.

:)

Lucas Trestka, Feb 7, 2022
  2. ngocphi Win User

Well first I played all halos you got your games mixed up

HALO ce world was far bigger then halo 2 or 3 was and quite possibily infinite

Id you have the original ce not the master chiefs collection drive a warthog into the ocean and se what happens
  3. ngocphi Win User

My dad did it out of boredom and thought how long can he travel

It never ended

One of the last time he played it

Before my brother sold our only console till my dad's death for his next high

Then ms gave me a gift of 2 xbox consoles lol

360 and a launch xbox one diferent years but meh my dad passed on way before then but he yearned to play halo ce

He never got to play 2 or 3
  4. Lucas Trestka Win User

Oh don't you worry, sir. Me and my trustee chupathingy have spent a lot of time bathing in Silent Cartographer Bay in CE. By immense I meant more detailed and visually pleasing, and of course the (halo 2) story was nothing short of spectacular. CE may have been bigger but man, I loved the halo 2 story.

Although the maps I'd argue might be around the same size, the sequel maps were more segmented, a box here, a bigger box there, and loading zones that moved you from one to the other.
    I wasnt thinking about MC, it was prettier but not quite the same. And the pretty graphics sometimes hid some corners, which made me fall to my death on multiple occasions.
  5. Dakrkplayer2 Win User

The Atari Generation

Where the old timers have come from. I know I haved no room to talk. Becoues someone 13 will call a 31 older like me a old timer. But I can't believed that there alot old timers on this thread.
  6. Auswulf Win User

Need for parental timer

You could always do it the old fashioned way and use a stopwatch, an egg timer, a timer on a microwave or lastly the oven timer. Simple run of the mill items around the house.
Thema:

1. Dear Microsoft, this is a note from an old timer. - Similar Threads - Dear Microsoft note

2. Dear Microsoft I need you to help me because I have redeemed 100 rubux and the code did not...

in XBoX on Windows
    Dear Microsoft I need you to help me because I have redeemed 100 rubux and the code did not...: My rubux i reedmed witch was 100 rubux don’t work the code Dosent I want compition witch is that I want 1000.rubux beacuse my code dont work 2d757090-6611-43a0-8e57-ca3937587095
  3. Dear Microsoft, the Blizzard Leadership Team/Devs responsible for game design are Noobs....

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dear Microsoft, the Blizzard Leadership Team/Devs responsible for game design are Noobs....: Longtime customer of Blizzard active in the community. If they made a game, I purchased it. Why wouldn't I? Blizzard was a great company that made great games. The current Devs are noobs and are...
  4. DEAR MICROSOFT AND 343

in XBoX Accessibility
    DEAR MICROSOFT AND 343: ok i am so sick of this microsoft for the love of god oh microsoft and 343 i spent money on halo and cant even play any of them my account is not banned ive done the credential manager nonsense...
  5. Dear Microsoft my hdmi Port stopped working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dear Microsoft my hdmi Port stopped working.: Dear Microsoft someone gifted me an Xbox series x for Christmas. For the first 5 months everything thing was working perfectly fine until one day unexpectedly the hdmi Port stopped working I tried...
  6. Dear microsoft can my account get banned for logging into minecraft on my ps4

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dear microsoft can my account get banned for logging into minecraft on my ps4: Dear microsoft can my account get banned for logging into minecraft on my ps4 cc822d4f-9b91-403e-be87-2e181bca251c
  7. Dear Microsoft, please give us the ability to support hardware ourselves in Forza games.

in XBoX on Windows
    Dear Microsoft, please give us the ability to support hardware ourselves in Forza games.: We're not asking you to officially support the Xbox wireless racing wheel (or wireless speed wheel) in the Forza games because we know the amount of people using these isn't significant enough to...
  8. A little helpor idea for our dear Xbox OS devs at Microsoft

in XboX Insiders
    A little helpor idea for our dear Xbox OS devs at Microsoft: [IMG] submitted by /u/Groundbreaking-Rip-2 [link] [comments]
  9. Dear Microsoft, are you doing anything to combat the scalping of your consoles?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Dear Microsoft, are you doing anything to combat the scalping of your consoles?: Not for nothing, but the immense response to the release of the consoles, has prompted scalpers to buy most of the supply of these consoles. They are being sold on obvious marketplace locations...
  10. Dear Microsoft

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dear Microsoft: Hi xbox are you guys adding 2k21 to gamepass ultimate beacause you guys took away 2k20 from gamepass and i thought u were adding 2k21 9268e65e-881f-4182-9168-c966935ca849