Current outage revealed huge flaw with digital content and game pass…

Discus and support Current outage revealed huge flaw with digital content and game pass… in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; So there’s an major outage going on with Xbox Live, so I figure I’d log into my local games until it passed only problem is, with all the changes... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by VN84onARK, Nov 6, 2021.

1. VN84onARK
    VN84onARK Guest

So there’s an major outage going on with Xbox Live, so I figure I’d log into my local games until it passed only problem is, with all the changes Microsoft’s made with owned games being listed as “Game Pass”, in order to launch any games I need to either log in as the person who purchased the game or to put the game cd in in order to prove I’m a registered game owner or person who bought the game. On Xbox Series S (which first hand experience shows) turns out to be just as or a more expensive product to own then Series X (buyer beware, wait and buy the Series X over settling for the Series S because Series S really isn’t cheaper with it $299.00 + $199 storage peripheral), The Series S hard drive shares with the O/S and games meaning less or limited storage space then advertised that then requires the purchase of the seagate storage device (external usb does not work as an additional storage device as it did with previous Xbox version, errors out saying new games need to be moved to internal drive in order to play (or words to that affect), meaning you need to purchase the only compatible storage device made by Seagate for $199 (+ the console for $299 and you’re already paying the cost of an Xbox Series X with no blue ray drive, and only 4K instead of the 8k that comes with the series X, etc… a modern day IBM PS1 like product- has the brand name and not much else’s, so to speak). Games you purchased as cd’s and digital content are inaccessible on Series S and any game purchased as distal content during such outage (checking the Series X but outage seems to have ended). During outage owners/users are prompted for the owner who purchased the software to log in, only the owner can’t because the account service is down…

For those games I purchased on cd, I was required to enter a product key in order to install, so why do I have to have the cd to play? Doesn’t Microsoft keep track of those numbers in some SQL data base that verifies purchase and ownership? And if I need to put the cd in in order to play a game when Xbox.com is having an issue there is most likely an addition cost in purchasing one is there’s a compatible drive available resulting in the Xbox Series S exceeding the cost of the Xbox Series X which then make the water down Xbox series a “money pit” to own….

If Microsoft wants to make proprietary games, good for Microsoft, bad for bi-platform players loyal to both consoles, and bad for those players whose access to all game play internet and local is denied because an Xbox.com service is down…. No doubt people will migrate to a different console, especially when the competition makes adjustments to their own system that doesn’t prohibit game play on the local console, taking advantage of the knowledge that no one is going to play any Xbox games, especially proprietary ones, when you’re required to log in to validated the owner for a locate game but the service is down so “try back later” is an acceptable loss/outage by Microsoft and/orXbox, but not its consumers….

:)

VN84onARK, Nov 6, 2021
  2. Nursemorph Win User

if your console is set as the home console and the internet or live goes out, you need to set as offline via the network settings, then any games that are not online only games should run ok apart from gamepass games and gold games as these need an active connection.

the ones this will affect the most are those that insist on sharing there purchases as that mean another console is set as home and they would need to be online to use their games.
    Yeah, my problem was that my Series X had not been set as my home console when I upgraded from my XB1 and it wouldn't let me designate it as such when I tried while XBL was down. Consequently, I couldn't then set it as offline.

Of course, as my Mum pointed out this morning, I could have used my XB1 which is still setup but clearly realising that needed more brain capacity than I had at that time lol
  3. VN84onARK Win User

Recommendations consider as a potential solution: Having the equivalent of an Outlook “.ost” file containing registration/ownership info when consoles are not or get disconnected from Xbox.com, would allow owners to launch purchased and owned games during such major outages in stage of stopping all game play….
  4. Farscape247 Win User

if your console is set as the home console and the internet or live goes out, you need to set as offline via the network settings, then any games that are not online only games should run ok apart from gamepass games and gold games as these need an active connection.

the ones this will affect the most are those that insist on sharing there purchases as that mean another console is set as home and they would need to be online to use their games.
  5. Nursemorph Win User

I recently had a short internet outage where the game I was playing quit to dashboard as I wasn't online...wasn't until yesterday though that I really saw the effects of no XBL. Couldn't open any of my games at all, couldn't designate my current Xbox as my Home Xbox (thought it had changed when I upgraded my console) presumably because I wasn't connected to XBL, couldn't change to Offline Mode due to not being my "Home" console.

I understand games with Multiplayer components or games with Seasons etc needing to be online but not games without MP. This kind of shows the limitations of the service
  6. VN84onARK Win User

Hi O.P.,

Thanks for the response.

Setting the console to “Home Console” assumes one you only have one console and there is a 25 digit key code you need to enter during an initial install so there is a registration process that associates that game key code with my account otherwise I’d have to renter it every time I logged off and then back in; that key is unique to my purchase, my installation and account and the one I was referring to in my original posts.

Unsure of what the process is when it comes to the reselling of games (that wasn’t my point) and if the vendors (like GameStop) are part of a partner program where Microsoft requires the generation of a new unique 25 digit key code (can’t imagine Microsoft editing registration info of a game -risk of compromising consumers’ private information, or placing its consumers at risk of false arrest because of any anti-piracy efforts, unless Microsoft no longer cares to protect its IP and legitimate consumers (I know once upon a time, Microsoft had an huge initiative involving the protection of intellectual properties (IP}, especially when it came to its own Windows and Office Products in an effort to ensure consumers purchased genuine Microsoft Product verse pirated copies of Microsoft products, so not having a similar initiative to protect the intellectual properties of Xbox products, would be a “want your cake and eat it too” thing for Microsoft which has definitely lost its identity in not wanting to become like AOL’s support model in the late 1990s (at one point AOL customers would call Microsoft Support for assistance out of frustration because there was no direct path to AOL support); Xbox support? Get through the wizard by answering questions only to be told there’s no support for the consumer when the questions are two general or not descriptive enough or in trying to return a purchase with the window of opportunity, being told via email I’ve returned my allotted annual amount of returns for the year so my return request was deny, ticket closed, even though I had returned anything; these are d-sat examples I’ve actually had as a consumer of Microsoft Xbox.

Consumers do have a voice, they have what you might call “buying power”. By withholding key or valuable feedback, products aren’t improved and customer sat is placed at risk, while the not so tech savvy consumers are taken advantage of. Advertising a console as low cost while knowing that there are hidden costs or additional out of pocket expenses for the consumer is a disingenuous attempt by Microsoft at deceiving its loyal customer\consumers for profit (rule of acquisition # ?).

There were two options presented, one to delete the quick launch option and play offIine and the second to use quick launch option (which causes games to close and restart instead of launching - A console feature that would require game developers to incorporate in order to work as designed btw). Neither option worked - I could not play any games because at that point I was being prompted to log into Xbox as the user who purchased the game I was trying to launch locally which could not be done because Xbox.com was having problem.

(Side note: As I said originally, “new games” can not utilize their purchased external storage for new games (if you buy a Series S/X console, your going to want to play S/X content) and games that have been update to provide S/X which means some of the games on those external drives, including the drives purchase with the last year or two, are no longer viable solutions or hardware to use requiring consumers to purchase the only recommend and supported solution - a Seagate Expansion Card.)
Thema:

1. Current outage revealed huge flaw with digital content and game pass… - Similar Threads - Current outage revealed

2. Question for you guys. I am not currently an insider, Did they remove use TV remote

in XboX Insiders
    Question for you guys. I am not currently an insider, Did they remove use TV remote: I was an insider. I have been on and off over 6 or 7 years. I joined last around the time the new dashboard was released to the public. I noticed a new setting that would allow you to control your...
  3. i have a current xbox i play on and when i try to sign into my account on the xbox app it...

in XBoX on Windows
    i have a current xbox i play on and when i try to sign into my account on the xbox app it...: what do i need to do to fix it or get it to let me sign in? 01dac490-f328-4a46-9103-672f782aa149
  4. I see enforcement on xbox but on the current enforcement its not there

in XBoX on Windows
    I see enforcement on xbox but on the current enforcement its not there: Hi Xbox I recently got suspended my xbox says I am but the enforcement site does not. 4777b740-63e4-460a-bb7e-24985534aefe
  5. Password reset NEVER sends a code to my email address - currently being billed for a...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Password reset NEVER sends a code to my email address - currently being billed for a...: I have followed tried all the solutions offered here. I have tried to contact support to no avail. I realized from a credit card statement that I am being billed for an xbox pass and cannot login...
  6. Is anyone currently having issues using the Xbox app on PC?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is anyone currently having issues using the Xbox app on PC?: My app is set to boot up automatically after logging in & for some strange reason, it starts loading like it normally would only to close itself about 30 seconds later. No error message or code,...
  7. I do have the current Xbox Series X with the disk drive will I need the Digital Xbox Series...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I do have the current Xbox Series X with the disk drive will I need the Digital Xbox Series...: I do have current Xbox Series X with the disk drive and I can play digitally and physically on the two way on it. The Digital Xbox Series X will to be announced in June and to be released in the...
  8. Xbox App shows me as 'Online' and doesn't show any games I am currently playing outside of...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App shows me as 'Online' and doesn't show any games I am currently playing outside of...: It's worked before for Steam and Ubisoft Connect games, but since the past few updates it just shows me as 'Online' I have the setting ticked to share my activity, and it works fine with all Xbox...
  9. I have just bought my son a new Xbox but the email on his current Xbox isn’t right so all...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have just bought my son a new Xbox but the email on his current Xbox isn’t right so all...: I have just bought my son a new Xbox but the email on his current Xbox isn’t right so all his data and such have not saved to his account. Is there anything I can do?...
  10. how do you get an old gamertag to sync with your current email?

in XBoX Accessibility
    how do you get an old gamertag to sync with your current email?: So my gamertag was hooked up through my brothers email back in the day when I was much younger. with the new microsoft all encompassing ecosystem i am having quite the time finding an answer to...