Core 2 stick tension vs Standard Series X controller tension

Discus and support Core 2 stick tension vs Standard Series X controller tension in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The Core 2 has 3 settings for stick tension... 57.8 gf (grams force) 73.1 86.2 as listed at...... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ShivaPike, Jun 8, 2023.

1. ShivaPike
    ShivaPike Guest

The Core 2 has 3 settings for stick tension...

57.8 gf (grams force)

as listed at...

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/controller/adjust-sticks-elite-series-2

So what is the stick tension on the standard Series X controller? Without that reference point the above information is relatively useless to me.

Going from the standard controller to the Elite 2 controller will I be able to increase resistance? Decrease resistance? Or both? I would assume both, but we all know what assuming gets us.

These controllers are expensive. I'd like to know what I'm getting if I make this investment.

I have a neurological condition which causes my hands and fingers to be less than steady. I'm old, what can I say. Increased stick resistance may be helpful but I don't want to buy one of these and find out the highest resistance setting is equivalent to the standard controller. That would make this expensive controller useless to me and a waste of money.

TIA for any info. Links to official documents and/or pages very welcome as well.

:)

ShivaPike, Jun 8, 2023
  2. ShivaPike Win User

Ok, so I rolled the dice and bought an Elite 2 on sale for $140. Still pretty dang pricey for a controller. However, I am pretty happy with the purchase.

In case anyone does a search looking for the same info I was looking for I hope this followup helps.

The stick tension on the standard Series X controller feels to me like the lowest tension setting on the Elite 2. There are 3 tension settings on the Elite 2 (as advertised) and after many hours of use now I can say the highest tension setting is having a positive impact on my gameplay. The increase is significant and does help steady the stick. I played a lot of Cyberpunk and also tested in Dirt 5.

I wish there was a 4th setting, creating a little more tension, but I can honestly say the controller as is represents a significant improvement. I am happy with the purchase. Now hopefully it lasts. :)

I may look at other 3rd party options at some point and see if any of them offer a resistance increase in excess of 86.2 grams force (the max Elite 2 setting). But for now I'm really enjoying this controller.
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hi ShivaPike,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

To ensure that this will be heard by the right team, as you have stated that there should be more about the gram force. Please send feedback to the Team Xbox that is managing and have full knowledge of the devices. Please see this guide on how to provide feedback to the team: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

If you have further concerns kindly create a new thread using this link - Create a new question or start a discussion.

Regards,

4. ShivaPike Win User

I appreciate the response Kathy but your suggestion is really just a common sense approach. If I had a friend with one or easy access to a store I would already have done so.

I just find it very odd that MS would share the gram force resistance for each of the Elite 2's 3 settings when these numbers are totally useless in the real world without a reference point. I simply haven't had the opportunity recently to have my thumbs calibrated. I could ask friends if any of them have had their thumbs calibrated recently so they can tell me the gram force resistance of the sticks on my current standard controller. :) Or I could waste $35 on a cheap gram force meter that I will use exactly once, hoping it actually comes pre-calibrated properly. LOL

The whole scenario is just so silly. If the resistance is important, as apparently it is, I mean why else is the information included on the Elite 2 web page, then doesn't it follow that the standard controller resistance is important as well? As they say, this isn't rocket science people.

I know you're not MS. I know this wasn't your decision and you're only trying to help. And I do thank you for that. Just felt the need to vent a little at the foolishness of it all.
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Hello ShivaPike,

Welcome to the Xbox Community Forum! Thank you for sharing your concern with me today, I hope you're doing well. I understand that you have a question regarding the stick tension on the standard Series X controller and how it compares to the Elite Series 2 controller.

The standard Series X controller has a default stick tension that is not adjustable. However, the Elite Series 2 controller has adjustable stick tension with three different settings as you mentioned in your question. With the Elite Series 2 controller, you can increase or decrease the stick resistance according to your preference.

I understand that increased stick resistance may be helpful for you due to your neurological condition. I recommend trying out the Elite Series 2 controller in-store or with a friend who owns one to see if the highest resistance setting is suitable for you before making the investment.

Here is a link to the official Xbox support page that provides more information on adjusting the stick tension on the Elite Series 2 controller is the same link you provided: Adjust the sticks on your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox Support

You may check try to check if customization of the controller could be your preference: Xbox Adaptive Controller | Xbox

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. ScottTHEscammeR Win User

hello

Some of the design choices on the upcoming elite series 2 were made with the 360 controller in mind. The adjustable tension analog sticks will allow you to match the 360s tension for example.
Thema:

1. Core 2 stick tension vs Standard Series X controller tension - Similar Threads - Core stick tension

2. Xbox game pass core 3 months congratulations you're one step closer press confirm something...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox game pass core 3 months congratulations you're one step closer press confirm something...: I can't use my game pass core df24437e-9c02-48a0-b86e-53dd02334e60
  3. Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues: So my controller is becoming unresponsive, at times no form of input gets a response and sometimes just straight up disconnects. Pad is always connected via USB cable, never via Bluetooth. I've...
  4. Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...: Is there any way to resolve this issue? b9dd45c2-10df-4372-b52d-05338aeaeb89
  5. Dell i7 core computer looping though blue green red black and white while booting

in XBoX on Windows
    Dell i7 core computer looping though blue green red black and white while booting: My dell computer while its booting up loops through blue red green white and black and it wont stop i need help. 74318dbb-6647-4220-827a-50d78e8cd7ea
  6. why is my code for upgrade from game pass core to ultimate NOT WORKING

in XBoX on Windows
    why is my code for upgrade from game pass core to ultimate NOT WORKING: I redeemed reward points so I could change from game pass core to game pass ultimate has NOT WORKED on xbox showing in my order history states its done but it has NOT when I go onto my xbox one...
  7. Brought a Xbox elite core 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brought a Xbox elite core 2: Brought a controller this month and my Y button isn’t responding anyway went to register it on Microsoft devices comes up I only have 4 months warranty left out of a 1 year how????? It’s new...
  8. How to Remove Keyboard from flight simulator settings when using Core Elite 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to Remove Keyboard from flight simulator settings when using Core Elite 2: I just purchased the xbox wireless controller Elite Core 2 to use with Flight Simulator on the Xbox series X. The issue I am having is that the controller has now added a keyboard as part of the...
  9. How do I pair my HyperX Cloud Stinger core wireless headset to my xbox series x?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I pair my HyperX Cloud Stinger core wireless headset to my xbox series x?: I got the HyperX Cloud Stinger Core Wireless headset and have no clue how to pair it to my xbox series x. The vague instructions and the limited online search results aren't helpful what so ever....
  10. Elite Controller 2 Core - Right stick doesn't hold firmly

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Controller 2 Core - Right stick doesn't hold firmly: Hi! I've just received my new sealed Elite Controller 2 Core and noticed the following defect: The right stick base is not magnetic at all. Left stick is holding okay, but the right one can be...