Controller completely unresponsive after firmware update (Xbox Accessories App)

Discus and support Controller completely unresponsive after firmware update (Xbox Accessories App) in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I decided to update my Xbox One controller via the Accessories for Xbox app on my windows device. I plugged in the gamepad, my controller was... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by BryanZaaijer, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BryanZaaijer
    BryanZaaijer Guest

I decided to update my Xbox One controller via the Accessories for Xbox app on my windows device. I plugged in the gamepad, my controller was recognized and I could successfully start the update. However, halfway during
    the update, it got stuck and I had to restart the application. From this point, the controller's home button remained dimmed at all times. My PC does not recognize the device at all, where it normally was able to instantly recognize it. Changing the batteries
    didn't solve the problem. The controller seems completely unresponsive. I don't have an Xbox Console, and there are no Microsoft Stores in my country. What to do now?

:)

BryanZaaijer, Apr 29, 2019
  2. BryanZaaijer Win User

Dear SilentParasite,

Thanks for your post! I removed battery packs, tried new AA batteries, but no results. Repeatedly (after waiting for minutes) plugged in the controller, but again it did not get recognized. Since the Home Button doesn't light up/blink, I feel like the update
    really messed up something bad in the controller itself.
  3. SilentParasite Win User

Thankyou for the reply BryanZaaijer, have you tried leaving the battery pack / batteries off so its just the controller without any power supply then use just the USB cable?
  4. SilentParasite Win User

Sorry hear you are having this problem with your controller, a few to try if you have not as yet.

1) Remove the battery pack / charge pack from the controller.

2) Connect the USB cable to controller and plug into PC.

3) IMPORTANT - Wait 30 seconds.

The Home Button light should come on and the controller should be fix, and then update.

A second way to try is change the USB cable as I have read that also helps if this happens.
  5. ToriN2 Win User

This did nothing to help. Controller is still bricked after trying this multiple times.
  6. XBF Diego M Win User

Hi Bryan,

It seems your controller was affected by a failed update, which then "bricked" the current firmware it had. There is a way to bring it back but this step is done on an Xbox One console, however we can try the same steps with your PC and hopefully it works.
    This will require you to take out any batteries or battery packs and plugging in the controller to the PC with a micro USB cable. First remove the batteries from the controller and power down your PC. Wait 5 minutes and then plug the controller into a USB
    port and for the moment remove any other USB devices you have plugged in so the controller is the only device plugged in via USB. You shouldn't need the mouse or keyboard while trying this during the boot up.

Now, power on your PC and while the device is booting up try to turn on the controller by pressing the controller's Xbox button. (press the button for about 1 or 2 seconds every 5 or 6 seconds depending on boot up time.) If this works correctly like it should
    on the Xbox One console, the controller should eventually turn on around 4th or 5th attempt and be updated the next time you open the Accessories app. It's important to remember to remove any batteries and remove other USB devices just for this troubleshooting.

Let us know if this works!
Thema:

1. Controller completely unresponsive after firmware update (Xbox Accessories App) - Similar Threads - Controller completely unresponsive

2. XBox Controller Issues - Frustrated Son and Mom

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox Controller Issues - Frustrated Son and Mom: My son recently got an Xbox One off a friend. We’re new to the gaming world. He keeps getting a message in the middle of games that says “you must connect a controller to play” (paraphrased), even...
  3. I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...: I have to say that I thought the idea of paying over $100 for a controller was absurd, but by the time I got it the thing cost me nearly $170 and after 2 weeks of use the left stick is "jammed" I...
  4. What do I do when my controller turns on and stays on but the system is is completely...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What do I do when my controller turns on and stays on but the system is is completely...: This is the first time this has happened to me so I searched up a solution online and every thing I saw involved being able to go into the settings app and the power off/restart menu which I...
  5. My controller needs Windows to be completely updated to work - any way to delay it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller needs Windows to be completely updated to work - any way to delay it?: I have an old rock candy wired controller that I have been using for years. Since getting Windows 11 whenever I want to use it it I need to check for updates through Windows Update and install...
  6. Xbox X Controller left stick not completely loose

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X Controller left stick not completely loose: My Xbox series x controllers left stick is not responding immediately when moving left and right but moving up and down works fine, I Noticed that the left stick is a bit more loose than the right...
  7. i want to purchase mircosoft complete plan xbox Elite Series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    i want to purchase mircosoft complete plan xbox Elite Series 2 controller: i tried calling mircosoft support uk the person had me on hold for 16mins 98245fda-c913-4337-a4e9-4a4f519ee947
  8. I can't complete my Repair Order for my controller, just get error message TraceID:...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't complete my Repair Order for my controller, just get error message TraceID:...: I go through the Repair Order for my device which is still in warranty, but after I've selected the free shipping option I get the error message: TraceID: VT1q5V6+0U+//tx0.6.225 I've tried to the...
  9. Is my Elite 2 Controller completely dead?

in XboX Insiders
    Is my Elite 2 Controller completely dead?: I'm having a really weird issue with my controller and its so specific I haven't been able to find anything on it online So I use it on my PC wired at all times, currently when plugged in there...
  10. Controller, wireless headset complete disconnect

in XboX Insiders
    Controller, wireless headset complete disconnect: Current version: Xbox update preview beta Scenario: Loss of connection of controller, headset (xbox wireless headset), and when in use, racing wheel (thrustmaster tmx pro) for around 20 seconds...