Console Shuts Down at 4AM when in Standby Mode

Discus and support Console Shuts Down at 4AM when in Standby Mode in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey there, I have a question/concern and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it (and/or if anyone knows how to fix it). My Xbox Series X is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by a.montes28, May 14, 2023.

1. a.montes28
    a.montes28 Guest

Hey there,

I have a question/concern and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it (and/or if anyone knows how to fix it). My Xbox Series X is set to go into standby mode when turned off w/ the button on the console or using the controller -- and it does both properly. However for some reason, at pretty much 4AM on the dot (4:01, to be exact – but not every night, just most nights), I notice my monitor come to life when untouched, saying "no source found", which is when the console transitions from standby mode to a shut-down state. I know that's what's happens because I turn on my console to the XBOX startup splash-screen on days after this happens.

This' happened both at home and on my college campus, so I doubt it's network/input-power related. This has also happened after software updates (one time I actually turned my console on from a fully-shutdown state after it did this overnight & it told me "It's time to update" right after. And then it still did it's shutdown the following 4AM). Not sure if I'm missing some setting, but I've gone digging deep enough into the Settings app and haven't found anything useful. I haven't tried factory resetting nor manually re-installing the Xbox software... yet. I just want to know if I'm just dumb and/or missing something first before getting to that point.

This issue isn't a dealbreaker issue so I'm not mad or anything, but just genuinely curious to see if 1) this' a bug, 2) anyone's experienced this or 3) it's a hardware/software issue with my console. I'm actually making this post as I wait 15 minutes for a game's update to download & install, which should've installed overnight if this same thing hadn't happened XD

I'd appreciate if someone could get back to me, whether it be from having experienced this, knowing what might've caused this, or just with some insight.

Thanks,

Alex

:)

a.montes28, May 14, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello a.montes28,

Thank you for sharing your concern here in Xbox Community Forum and we hope that all is well.

Based on the description, the changes of the status of your monitor is affected by the power option settings of your Xbox Console. Let us check and see on what we can do to help.

Getting an error message on your monitor is just normal because as your console is turned off, your monitor losses the source and detected no input that is why you got the message 'no source found'. It is possible that your console is set to specified period of inactivity that is why the changes happen around 4AM.

You can configure your Xbox One or Xbox Series X console to either shut down or go to sleep when you turn off your console, depending on your preference. You can choose Shutdown option (energy saving), Sleep option and other power options on your console. For your complete reference on what power options that best suited to you, check our article on the link provided below:

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully

Microsoft Community
  4. DTXS Win User

Standby or off?

Both...

I'm a little nervous to leave a video game console in a standby mode all of the time (the theory that maybe I can extend its life by a couple of months if I turn it off every once in a while). Also, I can hear the console/power brick when it is in standby
    more.

If I'm going to be playing several times in a day - standby, but at night I like to shut it off completely (or prolonged times, over 6 hours, when I'm not going to be using the console).

It is kind of like I do with my computer - standby/sleep when I might be using it off and on / shut down when I won't be potentially using it for a while.
  5. Malacath Win User

My Xbox Problems

Do you use instant on mode or energy saving mode?

Instant on mode is like standby mode on your pc. If the console glitches and you switch the console off the glitch remains because your console is in standby.

So if you are using instant on then try a full shutdown by holding to power button until console fully shuts down and powerbrick light turns orange.

Once powerbrick light is orange disconnect the power for a couple of minutes before switching back on.
  6. CheweeMcBacca Win User

xbox one power button flashing

Not really. It only does this when I turn it on from standby, not when it's completely powered down. If I hold the button for ten seconds and shut it down, or let it flash for a couple minutes until it shuts down then it always works when I power it back
    on. I have never had an error message or had the green screen stay on for longer than it should. It seems to be something wrong with the standby mode. I've never had any of the problems listed on that page but thanks for trying.
Thema:

1. Console Shuts Down at 4AM when in Standby Mode - Similar Threads - Console Shuts Down

2. Console not connected to the internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console not connected to the internet: I'm playing cod3 360 on xbox one and never had any problems, not it says my console is not Coto the internet even though my connection tests are good. I tried unplugging and power cycle but still...
  3. Doing offline system update, console shut down as expected. It's been 15min and hasn't...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Doing offline system update, console shut down as expected. It's been 15min and hasn't...: Was on step 2 at 57 percent complete c584bb00-39a9-48b1-af5f-a221cd4c2564
  4. Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?: Hello, I bought the series X last week and I have had constant issues with Xbox not connecting to the WiFi, after it was set up, when I start the system. Absolutely nothing changes. The system...
  5. Every time I start my Xbox I have to do reset the console to play or else it will shut off...

in XBoX on Windows
    Every time I start my Xbox I have to do reset the console to play or else it will shut off...: I will turn on my Xbox series x and after a minute or two of it running it will automatically shut off. My xbox will run after I do a keep games and apps reset on the console but will do the same...
  6. My downloaded games close or shut down console (xbox X) while playing without warning?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My downloaded games close or shut down console (xbox X) while playing without warning?: My downloaded games close or shut down console (xbox X) while playing without warning? 04d264b4-6e25-4d93-a2ac-ab117c68aa3c
  7. Should i just turn off console or completely shut down the xbox series s evertime after...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should i just turn off console or completely shut down the xbox series s evertime after...: I am asking it because i am new to xbox . c73f055a-8ce4-41b1-8a39-3b5e6987c042
  8. 2 accounts (outlook and Gmail)on 2 consoles in different rooms, why do I get shut off on...

in XBoX on Windows
    2 accounts (outlook and Gmail)on 2 consoles in different rooms, why do I get shut off on...: 2 different consoles with 2 different accounts, while using 1 and the other one is signed in you are dropped off on the first console. 708132b7-5ae4-45c5-a006-f69b41626f29
  9. Why does my console shut off to a snow screen or go to dashboard on wz fortnight any game...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my console shut off to a snow screen or go to dashboard on wz fortnight any game...: Series s shuts down in cod wz either freezes on a snowy screen or sends me back to dash board 4ef8c9a0-d579-437a-a556-e4f873a2669d
  10. When I shut off my xbox one S, with either the button on the console or the xbox button on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I shut off my xbox one S, with either the button on the console or the xbox button on...: So when I power off my Xbox one S, either by button on the console or the xbox button on my controller, i pick the turn off console option, and now for some reason everytime I power off it goes...