Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

Discus and support Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I spent 2 hours troubleshooting myself, and then when through two more hours and two levels of support on Xbox chat before finally stumping that rep... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jaybird-812F67C5-E7BB-4EFA-8B4E-68116AEE7C38, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

I spent 2 hours troubleshooting myself, and then when through two more hours and two levels of support on Xbox chat before finally stumping that rep and they sent it off to the networking team.

I'm curious if anyone on here can help though. I can assure you I've tried nearly everything. The kicker is Kinect chat will work but chat via 3 different headsets (on 3 different xboxes using multiple accounts) will
    not work.

I appreciate anyone brave enough to try and tackle this one.

:)

Jaybird-812F67C5-E7BB-4EFA-8B4E-68116AEE7C38, Dec 22, 2015
  2. Kinect not picking up voice for game chat. Works with Skype etc.

Hi everyone! Ok so I have an issue and after looking tirelessly through the forums and support pages, I have come up with nothing. My issue is that when I'm in a game, I can't chat with anyone. I can hear them but they can't hear me. This is with the Kinect
    set to work with game chat through settings. This does not mean the Kinect can't hear me. It accepts commands perfectly. It works with Skype. It worked with twitch last night. I could hear myself through the Kinect on my twitch broadcast while my wife and
    I tested it out. However, I will reiterate: I cannot get the Kinect to pass my voice through game chat. My chat headset works fine. However, this is not a viable solution since Microsoft and Turtle Beach have decided to royally screw us wireless headset owners.
    I use my xp510s when I game so I can't use the chat headset at the same time. Has anyone else run into this issue? If so, how did you fix it? If not, any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Just to reemphasize my situation: - Kinect game chat is not working
    - Kinect works with other apps (such as upload studio, twitch, Skype) - Kinect is set up for chat (checked off under settings->Kinect) - chat headset works but not a viable option for me Thanks for your help in advance everyone.

icurehangovers, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Twitch issue please help

You can use Kinect or headset to chat. Both work.

Thorbjørn Jensen, Dec 22, 2015
  4. Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

Did you try and update the controller WITH the headset adapter AND a headset plugged into it ?

RobertBuckalew, Dec 22, 2015
  5. Yeah. I tried that. It says no updates are available.

Of note, I thought my Xbox Stereo headset had died so I bought one of the wireless TurtleBeach headsets that don't plug into the controller.

It doesn't work on any of the 3 consoles either.

6. what are the "3 different headsets " then ? that didn't work on "3 different xboxs" ? are they all wireless ?

7. The 3 are:

- Generic one that comes with the Xbox

- Official Microsoft Stereo Headset

- TurtleBeach Wireless

I have 3 Xbox Ones and tried all 3 on all three Xboxes.

8. Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

so the generic and the official use the adapter , and none work on any of the 3 xboxs , ,,,I have to think the adapter is bad , no idea on the turtle beach ...

9. Well I actually have two adapters. Neither work. And the generic one comes with its own adapter. So I don't think all 3 all bad?

I do appreciate your help though.

Next up, you'd assume the network may be blocking chat. But all the necessary ports are open and my Nat type is Open on all three Xboxes. Furthermore, the Kinect chat should be blocked as well if that were the case.

The Kinect chat works properly on all 3 Xboxes.

10. yeah , I ASSUME the Kinect uses the same ports for chat , but never really checked , is your NAT open ? and do you have more than one controller ? maybe the adapter is ok but the port it plugs into on the controller is bad ? does the wireless one pair
    up with a usb stick ? Maybe it could be in the network somehow , what kind of modem and router are you using ? If its a gateway from your isp , they have been having all kinds of issues lately , if a separate modem and router , I would bypass the router
    all together and plug the xbox straight into the modem and do the network test to make sure its open nat at the source...

edit : I see where you said nat was open ....I would still plug straight into the modem and test the chat that way though...

11. Plugging directly into the modem is one thing I haven't tried yet. I'll do that and report back.

I'm using Airport Extreme - which is always a little, um...different when it comes to these type of things.

Oh - and yeah - I have tried multiple controllers. I tried them all wired and wireless.

12. I would do a hard reset to clear everything as I do that , and I remember somebody else having issues with an airport I believe...

13. Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

Just to update. I tried wiring the Xbox directly to the modem and I still can't chat.

I also had previously tried connecting the Xbox wirelessly via hot spot from my phone with no success.

I sincerely believe there is a software glitch on Microsoft's side that kills headset chat for certain consoles and/or users.

Jaybird-812F67C5-E7BB-4EFA-8B4E-68116AEE7C38, Dec 23, 2015
  14. About all you could do then is either wait on another update or do a factory restore , with the latter being somewhat of a chance but if you have 3 Xboxes i might try it on the least used one ...and if i did the restore i would do it unplugged from the internet
    until it asked for it , then i would plug it straight up to the modem for the update , so it has a straight shot to download from ...

RobertBuckalew, Dec 23, 2015
  15. I did the restore (twice) in the process of troubleshooting.

I had my Stereo headset and was playing around with the connector into the controller and watching the chat icon. If I held it just right, it would work. It was in a position where as soon as I let go, it would lose connection.

That's fine. Shame on Microsoft making that headset so shoddy. But it lead me down the path to the solution.

So I have also tested another Microsoft Stereo headset (that had failed a couple months back) in addition to one of the "freebies" they throw in the box. None worked.

I dug up the packaging for one of my other Xboxes and found the freebie headset still in the shrink-wrap. Opened it, hooked it up, and it worked.

So against all odds I had THREE headsets that were all faulty. I took the TurtleBeach back and got a replacement and it worked.

Thanks for your help Bimnog. Your suggestions helped me finally figure this out.

Jaybird-812F67C5-E7BB-4EFA-8B4E-68116AEE7C38, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works...

1. Chat Broken? Can't use any headset but Kinect works... - Similar Threads - Chat Broken Can't

2. Party Chat on PC seems to be broken?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Party Chat on PC seems to be broken?: Every time i start or join a party on PC with game bar or xbox app and a friend or someone else joins, the party chat disconnects. parties work fine on my xbox and phone though, and i have tried...
  3. How am I meant to get Xbox to contact me as their chat assist is so Broken it won’t let me...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How am I meant to get Xbox to contact me as their chat assist is so Broken it won’t let me...: How am I meant to get Xbox to contact me as their chat assist is so Broken it won’t let me put my phone number in just says cannot process your request 6715fd2c-8ab3-49bc-a1d6-2e46e30e3133
  4. The chat ban process is broken. Why would I get suspended for this?

in XBoX Accessibility
    The chat ban process is broken. Why would I get suspended for this?: Fix the bogus chat ban or atleast make an appeal process easier. This is getting out of hand [img] 6afbfe7d-ee1b-43e0-abc3-5052fdb722d3
  5. Chat ban is broken. Why would I get suspended for this?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Chat ban is broken. Why would I get suspended for this?: Fix the bogus chat ban or atleast make an appeal process easier. This is getting out of hand [img] 6afbfe7d-ee1b-43e0-abc3-5052fdb722d3
  6. Minecraft Bedrock Chat & Commands broken

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Bedrock Chat & Commands broken: I dont know what the hell you guys did, but now to type stuff into the chat on xbox with keyboard and mouse I have to click on the chat box, type in what I want, and have to click the send button....
  7. Xbox Party Chat is absolutely broken

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Xbox Party Chat is absolutely broken: Whenever I join a party, everything is all good for about 3 seconds, then out of nowhere without fail everyone but me stops talking and ive been told by my friends that I have left the party but...
  8. Does anybody continously run into Broken Game Chat?

in XboX Insiders
    Does anybody continously run into Broken Game Chat?: Does anybody continously experience broken gamechat? Like seriously ever since the Series X released and crossplay is a thing the xbox recognizes Im in game chat, I can talk and stuff but audio...
  9. Official Xbox chat headset broken after new Alpha!!!

in XboX Insiders
    Official Xbox chat headset broken after new Alpha!!!: I tried restarting, different controllers, another headset. It’s broken!! Fix this omg! submitted by /u/Xenokaiii [link] [comments]
  10. Minecraft chat broken

in XBoX on Mobile
    Minecraft chat broken: i am on mobile, but for some reason on the realm im on i cant see the minecraft chat if someone types it in, i can see death messages, joins and leaves, but not if someone says hi or whatnot. how...