Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters

Discus and support Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Hello. I'm on PC and I've seen some thread posts saying it's still possible to change your gamertag to something that is less than 15 characters but... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by ObeseMorese, Jan 8, 2022.

1. ObeseMorese
    ObeseMorese Guest

Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters

Hello. I'm on PC and I've seen some thread posts saying it's still possible to change your gamertag to something that is less than 15 characters but more than 12. I can't seem to get this to work on PC. Does anybody have any solutions?

:)

ObeseMorese, Jan 8, 2022
  2. ngocphi Win User

Ya the limit is 15 still never changed but I don't think you realize what that is

One 4 characters are reserved for hashtags

Now if you mean trying to circumvent the system

That's never a good idea

Either way can't be done on a pc or a current xbox

You can try Google.I'm.sure there are guides probably not a good idea once you find out what it takes it's.a lot.more.then 10 dollars I can tell you that
  3. Jesse E' Win User

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

The only way to achieve that was to change it on an Xbox 360, as those still use the old gamertag system. It was working a while ago, not sure if it still works in 2022. Other than that it isn't possible.
  4. KimberlyReach Win User

Unable to Change Gamertag

Update: If I try a gamertag with 14 or less characters, it seems to move forward. However the character limit is supposed to be 15 and the new gamertag I want has 15 characters. :-(
  5. MsAshh Win User

Gamertag change - wording misleading - " will be available to others"

I would like to add that if your previous gamertag is longer than 12 characters, it will not be able to be claimed by anyone; including yourself. The character limit used to be 15, but it was recently changed to 12 for the new gamertag system.
  6. Daft Badger Win User

username recovery

The old limit was 15 characters so your old gamertag couldn't of been 16 characters long.

You might still be able to change to a tag with more than 12 characters if you do it on a xbox 360 console unless they've fixed that workaround but other than that then you will have to stick with the 12 character limit.
Thema:

1. Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters - Similar Threads - Character limit gamertag

2. is it possible to have my 12 character limit expanded to 14

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it possible to have my 12 character limit expanded to 14: because I want to change my gamertag and the name I want is 14 character long meaning I come up 2 short. I am doing this on PC BTW. 33d99eeb-92dc-496f-b036-fcf633d916e0
  3. Why are screennames limited down to 11 characters?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why are screennames limited down to 11 characters?: My screen names I had before still work like Black Hole Sun, these are really cool names due to Xbox's unique ability to have a space, but now the names have been limited by whoever made the...
  4. 12 letter character limit

in XBoX Accessibility
    12 letter character limit: What's everyone's opinion on the 12 letter character limit And the ability for people to have the exact same name as you I know I'm late to the party on this discussion but I want to know what...
  5. Change the 12 character limit!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Change the 12 character limit!: I changed my gamertag about a month ago and now I have decided to go back. But when I tried to change my GT I realized that my original one was too long for the new gamertag system. My original...
  6. Character limit in player name change

in XboX Insiders
    Character limit in player name change: It's absurd to have 12 characters when changing the actor name. Because when creating a new account, we can create a name with the character we want from "Social Xbox", but we encounter a...
  7. Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags?: I was just wondering why the character limit is 12. My Gamertag (shown above) is 15, clearly they can handle grandfather clausing GTs from the past into the new system. Why can't the limit be...
  8. Suggestion For New Gamertag 12 Character Limit

in XBoX on Consoles
    Suggestion For New Gamertag 12 Character Limit: Alright, it makes complete sense why they had to reduce the character limit to 12 for non-unique gamertags to fit the suffix, but I feel as though if you can still create a unique gamertag with...
  9. Gamertag Character limit increase

in XBoX Accessibility
    Gamertag Character limit increase: I'm confident I'm not the first person to bring this up. I had a great GT before changing it back to my old one after a *fun night* that I don't even remember. I left it alone for a while and on...
  10. Can You Raise The Gamertag Character Limit to 16 or more?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can You Raise The Gamertag Character Limit to 16 or more?: Hi! I am a Minecraft: Pocket Edition fan! I have created my own Minecraft username that is greater than 15 characters. I really want to keep my Minecraft username. My Minecraft username has lots...