Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters

Discus and support Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Hello. I'm on PC and I've seen some thread posts saying it's still possible to change your gamertag to something that is less than 15 characters but... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by ObeseMorese, Jan 8, 2022.

1. ObeseMorese
    ObeseMorese Guest

Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters

Hello. I'm on PC and I've seen some thread posts saying it's still possible to change your gamertag to something that is less than 15 characters but more than 12. I can't seem to get this to work on PC. Does anybody have any solutions?

:)

ObeseMorese, Jan 8, 2022
  2. ngocphi Win User

Ya the limit is 15 still never changed but I don't think you realize what that is

One 4 characters are reserved for hashtags

Now if you mean trying to circumvent the system

That's never a good idea

Either way can't be done on a pc or a current xbox

You can try Google.I'm.sure there are guides probably not a good idea once you find out what it takes it's.a lot.more.then 10 dollars I can tell you that
  3. Jesse E' Win User

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

The only way to achieve that was to change it on an Xbox 360, as those still use the old gamertag system. It was working a while ago, not sure if it still works in 2022. Other than that it isn't possible.
  4. KimberlyReach Win User

Unable to Change Gamertag

Update: If I try a gamertag with 14 or less characters, it seems to move forward. However the character limit is supposed to be 15 and the new gamertag I want has 15 characters. :-(
  5. Daft Badger Win User

Why only 12 alphabets gamertag please change it to 16 Because my last gamertag was of 13 and now I cannot take it back

If you change your gamertag on a Xbox 360 you can still have the 15 character limit but other than that you are limited to 12 characters.
  6. MsAshh Win User

Gamertag change - wording misleading - " will be available to others"

I would like to add that if your previous gamertag is longer than 12 characters, it will not be able to be claimed by anyone; including yourself. The character limit used to be 15, but it was recently changed to 12 for the new gamertag system.
Thema:

1. Character limit on Xbox gamertag prevents me from using a name that is less than 15 characters - Similar Threads - Character limit gamertag

2. My on screen keyboard is giving too many options for each individual letter and character...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My on screen keyboard is giving too many options for each individual letter and character...: The on screen keyboard is giving too many options which is very annoying and affecting game play. How do I change this 77a41866-ac3a-460f-bb48-55d8543171e5
  3. How do I fix not being able to hear character voicelines in games?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I fix not being able to hear character voicelines in games?: I recently started playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint and noticed I was unable to hear voicelines entirely or they sounded like they were speaking from 50 meters away when the character...
  4. Why is it whenever I move my joystick forward in a game my character continues moving even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is it whenever I move my joystick forward in a game my character continues moving even...: What happens is whenever I move my controller joystick forward to sprint in ac vallhalla and I let go of the stick it continues moving this is the same problem on the games UI and when moving...
  5. Xbox game 25 character code

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox game 25 character code: I wanted to log in my 25 character code for xbox game, i logged in both my lapton and phone,then the code was rejected. How do i get a new code or be able to save the game in xbox console...
  6. Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...

in XboX Insiders
    Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...: All these games on video i have done in real life.im not cutting down video games but doing them in excess cant be too healthy.iIt will affect you negatively in some sociall or physical aspect as...
  7. Remnant 2 Main character with 80 hours just got deleted off the gamepass version..Anyway to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Remnant 2 Main character with 80 hours just got deleted off the gamepass version..Anyway to...: im playing remnant 2 on gamepass. got 80 hours in...collected all items in yeasha and losomn. just got the cube gun and enigma..went today to play more..my controller has back buttons and tried to...
  8. If I have both versions of GTA on my Xbox can I have both with the same character when migrated

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If I have both versions of GTA on my Xbox can I have both with the same character when migrated: I know now if you migrate accounts you won’t lose the data but I have both the new and old versions of the game on my Xbox will I lose the character on the old version of the game because they’re...
  9. Monster Hunter Rise character missing, forcing new game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Monster Hunter Rise character missing, forcing new game: I hit MR 140, downed Risen Teostra, and called it for the night. (Have game clip of it). 2 days later, I go to play, and all I have is "New Game" on the main menu. Save data on the Xbox...
  10. Will Microsoft ever do the right thing and change the gamer tag character limit back to 15?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Will Microsoft ever do the right thing and change the gamer tag character limit back to 15?: See the title. It really bothers me that this change was made. I can never go back to most of my old GTs. It’s really really dumb. 5d2ddf6d-f466-4068-a6a5-b998c2e54d95