changing Drives leads to access problems

Discus and support changing Drives leads to access problems in XBoX Sales and Promo to solve the problem; This weekend I cloned my 4TB D: drive onto an 8TB drive, then switched drive letters so the new drive would be D:. windows seems to have accepted this... Discussion in 'XBoX Sales and Promo' started by MichaelHopcroft, Mar 10, 2021.

1. changing Drives leads to access problems

This weekend I cloned my 4TB D: drive onto an 8TB drive, then switched drive letters so the new drive would be D:. windows seems to have accepted this in general, but there is one pretty big problem: Game Pass for PC does not recognize most of my library. I have no access to uninstall the games so I can install them again, and no clue where the live on the drive. I don't know what's going on here.

I seem to have had little trouble otherwise. C: was not messed with, Windows still works just fine, and I have had little trouble working with documents (the Outlook library, for example, is intact).

some of the games I have lost access to are pretty significant, and even the ones I'm not that interested in anymore still need to be found before they can be removed.

I'm sure this problem has been around. Is there a good solution, and where do Game Pass gamnes even live?

:)

MichaelHopcroft, Mar 10, 2021
  2. MichaelHopcroft Win User

I am having trouble with permissions -- specifically finding a username to give permissions to delete the folder. The problem is that the window discussed is not giving me an option to suggest a username for this purpose. I would;d hope there was a way to enter it manually with the username I am familiar with from the Users directories.

fFormatting the drive is not a simple option because so much lives there. I have a big enough backup drive to do it, but I'm concerned restoring the backup would lead to the same issue reoccurring. Still that's probably my next step -- I think if I remove WindowsApps from the list of folders to be restored I should be fine. at the very least, I will be able to restore my Steam directories.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

I have no access to uninstall the games so I can install them again, and no clue where the live on the drive. I don't know what's going on here.
    Hi,

You won't be able to access them. The folder where they are installed will need to be deleted. This folder is called WindowsApps and if it was cloned with everything else, it will be located in the root directory of the drive which in this case will be D:\WindowsApps

The old folder is protected and encrypted. I'm pretty sure this encryption holds information regarding the old drive. Since this drive is no longer installed in this PC, the data copied to the new drive is inaccessible.

Please follow this guide to help you delete your current WindowsApps folder. Once done you will also need to the delete two other folders called 'WpSystem' and 'WUDownloadCache'.

After opening the link scroll down to the Deleting WindowsApps folder section as the first part of the guide won't apply to you.

Once your old folder is deleted you should be able to change the drive where Apps are installed to in Windows 10 to the D: drive. Doing this will create a new WindowsApps folder on your drive.

Please let us know how you get on.
  4. MichaelHopcroft Win User

I found a different solution, at least for some of my Game Pass games. I went to the Start menu and found the individual games on the menu. I found that I could uninstall the games, and then I was able to reinstall the ones I wanted to keep longer.

I do not know why I didn't think of that before. And while it might not be a complete solution, it does save me from nuking the drive, at least for now.

I'mnot saying I didn't need them help. Because any technical question I have many others will have as well.
  5. HassanB Win User

Hard Drive and external drive go to unformatted

Hi,

If a hard drive is becoming unformatted again and again it likely leads to a problem with the hard drive itself, not the update, honestly.

It's likely that your specific hard drive has a problem reading/writing at the same time, and when something like that happens (an update) that requires both downloading -> reading -> writing (to the hard drive), it's likely that it's glitching or crashing
    in some instance.

I'd suggest changing your hard drive out if you're experiencing this each and every time.
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

How do I purchase Xbox Game Pass if I have an active PC Game Pass subscription in a region which does not support Xbox Game Pass yet?

Changing your region to access services not available in your area is a violation of TOS and can lead to account and hardware bans.
Thema:

1. changing Drives leads to access problems - Similar Threads - changing Drives leads

2. isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?

in XBoX Accessibility
    isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?: on my asus tuf dash F15 FX517zc laptop i couldn't choose colors for my keyboard bc there isn't any color in it and i couldn't connet my aura creator to it. isn't it possible to change colors of my...
  3. Can I change my 1TB internal hard drive for a 2TB internal hard drive on my Xbox One S?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I change my 1TB internal hard drive for a 2TB internal hard drive on my Xbox One S?: Can I change my 1TB internal hard drive for a 2TB internal hard drive on my Xbox One S? 104150e3-ede8-4073-95d9-fc09731538bb
  4. How to change install folder in a drive for game pass but folder doesn't exist

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to change install folder in a drive for game pass but folder doesn't exist: Trying to move game to from one drive to another but cannot as it says there is a drive issue. "N: - We didn't find N:\N:\Xbox. Make sure the folder exists and try again". This isn't a typo it...
  5. Xbox on PC won't see MSFS2020 after drive change

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox on PC won't see MSFS2020 after drive change: I have two Xbox Game Pass accounts on PC. One for me and one for my Grandson. I had installed MSFS2020 on my PC using one of those accounts. I recently changed some drives around; added an M.2 SSD...
  6. Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive: Recently I have purchased Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 11 PC however I cannot change my installation to my D: Drive and get the drive issue "D: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. (it is NTFS)...
  7. MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D

in XBoX Games and Apps
    MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D: There is a game in the MS Store - A Plague Tale: Requiem - Windows Available with xbox game pass ultimate subscription Installed on one laptop drive C, everything is fine And I'm trying to...
  8. Xbox desktop application: I want to change drives, but when I choose another one, it...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox desktop application: I want to change drives, but when I choose another one, it...: Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the issue cc96b047-58de-4438-b898-086aa714681e
  9. Tips for changing drive install on xbox app

in XboX Insiders
    Tips for changing drive install on xbox app: Ok So I noticed that some people were having issues with the Xbox App not letting them change their install location. Here's a Few things to check first #1. Make sure the drive is set up as NTFS...
  10. I had my hard drive changed and since then I have been unable to install games on my PC...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I had my hard drive changed and since then I have been unable to install games on my PC...: I had my hard drive changed and since then I have been unable to install games on my PC game pass account due to "Administrator approval required for installation". As Xbox support is non-existent...